Author Topic: Good Druid Spells for Persisting  (Read 4885 times)

S_Jerusalem

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Good Druid Spells for Persisting
« on: May 28, 2010, 08:42:22 PM »
So... I have a Wild Reaper variant druid that is now at L15. WRDr gains Turning at L12, so I currently have about 8ish Turns per day.

I have Persistent Spell, and am considering DMM:Persist for my feat @15. When I have another good chance to purchase equipment, I can pick up a Reliquary Holy Symbol for 3 more Turns, and maybe a Nightstick as well.

I would love some suggestions on great Druid spells for use here. Standouts for high-levels, but also any particularly good L1-3 spells that I will be able to run out naturally.

My current favorite is Decomposition (SpC), which is pretty strong for accumulating damage over time.

What do you all think about persisting Produce Flame? It seems like it might add a decent amount of damage over the course of a day, compounded by the fact that I have a very high DEX animal companion (Adv. Fleshraker), and giving it ranged attacks has been fairly effective so far.

Obviously, anything that will significantly increase both my and my AC's abilities will get me the most bang per spell, particularly because I would only be able to DMM 1 or 2 spells tops right now. Once I can pick up a Nightstick and a better CHA item, I should be able to squeeze it up to 3 by 17-18th.

And, before any of you throw out the obviously uber Venomfire, that spell has been nixed in my game due to ridiculousness.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
Re: Good Druid Spells for Persisting
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 08:48:31 PM »
Hard to go wrong with Bite of the Werebear.  Master Air is pretty nice as well.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

thebigstupidfighter

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
On a related note, anyone have any Persistable Wizard/Sorcerer gems to share? I want to play an Anima Mage at some point and they get free metamagic 3/day.

S_Jerusalem

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 09:20:39 PM »
Yeah.. Bit of the Werebear is pretty strong. Heh.

As for Sor/Wiz, it really varies by what you intend to be doing. Greater Mirror Image is incredibly good for keeping you alive, since it regenerates images unlike its little brother. Wraithstrike is always a good way to crack a game wide open if you have 3+ attacks or TWF. Greater Blink can make you super-mobile. I want to say... Freezing Glance, not sure if that is the right name. It is a spell that gives a solid gaze attack, and having it all day would be pretty powerful. You might need to pick up one of those Blindfolds of True Darkness if that was what you did though, don't want to ice all your buddies.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 09:44:41 PM »
One of the best persistable Wizard spells, until level 17 when you get Shapechange, is Draconic Polymorph.  Just like regular polymorph, except an extra +8 unnamed bonus to STR, +2 bonus to CON, and a HD cap of 20 (or is it 25?).
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 09:58:42 PM »
Aura of Vitality.  Give yourself and your party a nice, +4 morale bonus to all physical stats for 24 hours.  Hooah!
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 11:53:53 PM »
If you pick up a single level of Contemplative (CDiv) for a domain, you can pick up the War domain for Divine Might, or any number of other domains for some more of the Cleric standards.

Mass Lesser Vigor is one of the best spells around to persist.  It pretty much solves all healing needs forever.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 12:07:07 AM »
If you pick up a single level of Contemplative (CDiv) for a domain, you can pick up the War domain for Divine Might, or any number of other domains for some more of the Cleric standards.

Mass Lesser Vigor is one of the best spells around to persist.  It pretty much solves all healing needs forever.
Indeed, it is one of the best means for the cleric to remove the need for him to waste spell slots healing every little wound his allies incur.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 12:07:50 AM »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

S_Jerusalem

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 02:50:27 AM »
Owl's Insight... yes, that one seems quite tasty. For one slot per day, I could easily gain 10 by casting it before spell prep each day.

Unfortunately, I don't believe Aura of Vitality is legal for Persistent Spell.

CyMage

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 03:10:37 AM »
Owl's Insight has that pesky, highly debated 'Touch' range for persisting sadly.  

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 09:35:01 AM »
Ah, you're right.  For some reason I thought it was fixed range...
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Fluffles

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 01:07:08 PM »
You can always get a Rod of Reach Spell to turn that pesky touch range into a nice, definite 30' range.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 01:23:09 PM »
You can always get a Rod of Reach Spell to turn that pesky touch range into a nice, definite 30' range.

Not exactly. Reach spell turns them into rays, which aren't even targeted spells. Some would allow it, nonetheless.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

S_Jerusalem

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 03:13:55 PM »
Luckily, my DM is cool on the touch spell front.

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 03:28:09 PM »
Well, in that case, you can use Ocular Spell (Lords of Madness) to make absolutely any spell fixed-range, and thus persistible.  Like Creeping Cold (Spell Compendium) to inflict a total of 103687200d6 cold damage spread out over the course of 14,400 rounds.

Fluffles

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 05:10:31 PM »
Well, in that case, you can use Ocular Spell (Lords of Madness) to make absolutely any spell fixed-range, and thus persistible.  Like Creeping Cold (Spell Compendium) to inflict a total of 103687200d6 cold damage spread out over the course of 14,400 rounds.

Yup. If you are willing to wait that long.

S_Jerusalem

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 05:17:42 PM »
Forgot about that trick. I may consider retraining a feat out for Ocular Spell if we ever have enough down-time again.  :smirk

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 05:51:34 PM »
Yup. If you are willing to wait that long.
Eh, just hit someone you don't like with it and Tree Stride away or something while they die.

Tohron

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 05:59:41 PM »
Owl's Insight has that pesky, highly debated 'Touch' range for persisting sadly.  

Doesn't its set, 1 hour duration disqualify it anyway, or is that a typo?