Author Topic: Druid Wolfbrother, D&D/WoT  (Read 2225 times)

Banaticus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Druid Wolfbrother, D&D/WoT
« on: May 27, 2010, 06:16:15 AM »
Druid 6/Fist of the Forest 3/Wolfbrother 10

Sound decent?  Should I just go straight into Wolfbrother instead?

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Druid Wolfbrother, D&D/WoT
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 08:33:53 AM »
Druid 6/Fist of the Forest 3/Wolfbrother 10

Sound decent?  Should I just go straight into Wolfbrother instead?

I'd consider Wildshape Ranger instead of Druid. FotF isn't bad, and its restrictions are probably appropriate on a Wolfbrother, but on the whole, I think it's overrated.

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 09:07:23 AM »
As written, Wolfbrother is a pretty weak prestige class.
BAB and saves as a cleric.
2 skills per level
d8 HD
Class abilities are meh: talking to wolves telepathically, calling wolves to aid you, scent, track by scent, low light vision, skill bonuses, +2 constitution.
Plus there are WoT specific abilities: wolfbrother gets +5 defense in 10 levels and +3 reputation, he is able to enter Tel'aran'rhiod. I don't know how powerful that is.

Anyway. Almost any class/prestige class is better than wolfbrother, i.e., the later you enter the class, the more powerful you can be.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 09:20:51 AM »
he is able to enter Tel'aran'rhiod. I don't know how powerful that is.
That's a privilege reserved for channelers who know Traveling, Dreamers and anyone who gets hold of a magic item.

Nifty for spying, scouting and divinations I guess, and only Dreamers and Wolfbrothers get to tap the more divinatory aspects.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 11:20:19 AM »
First off what kind of game is this and what is fair game to use? Is it a D&D game you are bringing WoT into, a WoT game you are bringing D&D into, or a WoT game using D&D mechanics because the d20 WoT was so stupidly bad?

I have worked on a re-write of the WoT rules off and on for years now so if you can give me an idea of what is going on with the game i may be able to help or offer some suggestions to avoid the pitfalls within the system as it is.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Banaticus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 12:42:51 PM »
It's a D&D incursion into the WoT world.  The premise that the GM gave is that there are all sorts of strange people wandering in, some who talk of "gods", etc.  I'll look into this wildshape ranger -- it's in UA?

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 12:47:49 PM »
Yup right here is the quick and dirty form.

I think WS ranger would work really well for this. And depending on how integrated the magic and such will be this could actually be a good choice for a VoP character if it will be very low on magic items like WoT.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Banaticus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 04:39:43 PM »
I don't know if that ranger thing is worth it.  I'll make up a pro's chart for each class.

Druid (6)
-----
+4 BAB, 5/2/5
2 3rd-level spells
3 2nd-level spells
3 1st-level spells
5 0-level spells
+4 HD animal companion
wild shape 2/day
move through naturally thick wooded area with no speed reduction
cannot be tracked
wild empathy
+2 know (nat)
+2 survival
+4 save against fey

Wildshape Ranger (6)
-----
+6 BAB, 5/5/2
1 1st-level spell
can track others
+2 HD animal companion
+10 move speed
wild shape (presumably only 1/day)
wild empathy
2 favored enemies -- a lot better in WoT where there's basically just humans and trollocs with an occasional mydraal, however the D&D world is colliding...
endurance

I think all of those spells will be better than a +1 to attack/damage, the animal companion is better as a druid (and it's 1 level from a dire wolf companion), being in wolf form gives a good speed boost anyway, and I can always pick up the track feat.  I lose +2 BAB, but I think druid just pulls ahead, which is why I'm wondering if FoF is worth it instead of more druid levels.  I don't think he'll allow VoP from the Book of Exalted Deeds, I'll ask.

Phoenix00

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 08:49:43 PM »
See if you can get totem druid (DR335 p87) instead of normal druid.  Totem Druid is also located at the crystal keep.  You lose your normal wildshape but get a better animal companion and faster wildshape progression into your totem animal.  In this case wolf.  Finally you eventually get the ability to speak any language you know while in your totem form, as well as the ability to speek your totem language allowing you to converse with other wolves quite easily.

You are sacrificing versatility to get a better flavor fit.