Author Topic: Charger Prestige Class  (Read 3494 times)

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Charger Prestige Class
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 07:05:57 PM »
Yeah, keeping the standard build and getting a cohort would basically keep you set for magic.  Good luck with the game :)

MrErikO

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 07:16:04 PM »
Looking at the descriptions of epic spellcasting; you need to just have the epic spellcasting feat to cast spells. The requirement for taking the feat is: 24 ranks into knowledge (Religion/Nature/Arcana), 24 ranks into Spellcraft, and the ability to cast 9th level spells.

Now I'm new to this workaround stuff but would it be possible to get the ranks into the knowledge (religion in my case) and spellcraft and then get an item that would allow me to cast a 9th level spell to qualify for epic spellcasting? I'm going to look back in the Epic Spellcasting section just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

MrErikO

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 07:18:03 PM »
Yeah, keeping the standard build and getting a cohort would basically keep you set for magic.  Good luck with the game :)

If this sets me for the epic spellcasting game, then what would be a wise decision to progress this character? I'm scrolling down the long list of PrC looking for one however I feel like I should ask just in case someone has already figured out a PrC that would work well with the charger's abilities.

Rymosrac

• Curious George
  • You were expecting?
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 07:25:54 PM »
War Mind comes to. . . um. . . mind?

That's mostly just for the capstone and some minor psionics, though. I'm sure there are far better suggestions. Maybe frenzied berserker if you're not THAT set on always using a mount and your party / cohort can handle the usual methods of controlling you.
Shh. My common sense is tingling. . .

MrErikO

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 07:48:39 PM »
I'm not entirely set on always using a mount. It would be in my mind a flavor addition.

My current party is a tad melee heavy and I believe the current Barb is planning on picking up Frenzied Berserker. I will take a gander at War Mind and see if it tickles my fancy.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 07:52:10 PM »
You could instead use the Trancer build for casting things yourself.

By level 15, a Wizard is an effective demigod.  He can reshape the world, retire to his flowing time demiplane where a century there is a second in normal time, return to the normal world where he continues to reshape it, hide out in his demiplane awhile, and repeat.

Time stop alone can radically alter fights.  Every CO caster of appropriate level uses it.

Remember, Epic means just that.  Each character sheet is a book.  Unless antimagic field is prevalent (and sometimes if it isn't), fights are initiative wars:  Go first and win the fight.  Casters can do this while non-casters typically can't, and if you're epic, why can't you cast?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

MrErikO

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 08:28:31 PM »
The only thing that makes me cringe a tad is the line from the Trancer build "You rely on magic to the point of being nearly useless in an antimagic field, but oh the damage you can deal!"
Is it worth looking into as my new character has yet been introduced into the campaign yet (able to start at lv 7)?

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 08:28:54 PM »
Remember, Epic means just that.  Each character sheet is a book.  Unless antimagic field is prevalent (and sometimes if it isn't), fights are initiative wars:  Go first and win the fight.  Casters can do this while non-casters typically can't, and if you're epic, why can't you cast?
As I noted in my previous post, this has not been my experience.  Or, more accurately, to the extent it has been my experience melee fighters were often the ones able to end the fights so quickly w/ massive damage.  Examples include an iaijutsu master (from a long time ago ...) and a charger.  

The same caveats as above, though -- practical optimization, only 3.5 material (i.e., no valorous weapons for double damage).