Author Topic: Is there a dualcasting handbook?  (Read 1669 times)

thebigstupidfighter

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Is there a dualcasting handbook?
« on: May 24, 2010, 12:20:20 PM »
Because I'm thinking of making one, just a sort of basic guide to various combinations of casting classes and how to get the most out of each one, that sort of thing.

Not just for casting per se, also ToB manuevers, psionics, etc.

If no one knows of a resource like this I'll be putting up a skeleton for it probably sometime today or tomorrow.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: Is there a dualcasting handbook?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 12:38:01 PM »
Other than early entry being your friend?

There are a couple of ways to get double 9's without early entry or fast-advancement PrC's, though.  The first is Wizard/Druid/Arcane Heriophant/Mystic Theruge.  The second that I know of (although hugely suboptimal) is Wizard/Shadowcaster/Noctumancer/Mystic Theruge.

Might want to mention Geomancer in that it requires dual-casting, but is NOT a dual-caster PrC.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 12:41:17 PM »
For a very high level build:

Illumian Factotum 8/Bard 1/Ur Priest 1/Sublime Chord 1/Mystic Theurge(or Forlucan Lyrist) 9
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 01:38:35 PM »
On a related note i need people to look at my homebrew base class with dual casting...

you guys are good at breaking things right?  :lol

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8160.0

OblivionSmurf83

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 02:36:15 PM »
On a related note i need people to look at my homebrew base class with dual casting...

you guys are good at breaking things right?  :lol

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8160.0

What spell lists do you cast spells from? Sor/Wiz and Cleric? Or just Arcane/Divine? If the latter, the class is incredibly powerful.

How does limited spell knowledge interact with the fact that you keep a spell book? What happens if you inscribe more spells into it? Can you swap out your spells by 'choosing' which ones you know from the spell book? If so, the class is quite broken. If not, it's quite good as it actually avoids the Psychic Reformation trick the Sorcerer can use to know any spells he needs to.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 02:46:12 PM »
Precocious Apprentice is a good feat for dual-casting builds to let you meet prereqs sooner.

For geomancer, a cloistered cleric 1/wizard 3 with the Southern Magician feat qualifies for geomancer, and can use the class to apply the better aspects of cleric casting to his wizard spells. Including the ability to cast spells in armour and use Divine Metamagic on his wizard spells. You can also do this with cloistered cleric 1/sorcerer 4, or cloistered cleric 1/(arcane caster) 2 with Precocious Apprentice.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 02:59:01 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 03:02:38 PM »
Oh, Spell Versatility is an awesome class feature, no doubt about it.  The Drift abilities can be handy too, so long as you pick the right ones.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

thebigstupidfighter

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 03:37:01 PM »
I'll take a look at geomancer, it sounds like it has potentail although its a bit of an oddball in a dualcaster handbook.

Snakeman- How does the Shadowcaster build work exactly? I'm not clear on how Mystic Theurge is advanceing shadowcaster, but I could have missed something since I pretty much wrote them off a sucking, but another dual 9s build that doesn't rely on UrPriest/Divine Crusader is always worth noting.

Prime- I'm strongly of the opinion hat Precocious Apprentice dos not allow for early entry, to the point that I don't even intend to present it as an option. If it actually granted the ability to cast 2nd level spells,it would ignore its own limitation since you would be 'casting 2nd level spells' already.

Anywho, since no one has come forward saying they know of a guide like this, and there certainly seems to be enough interest in one, I'm going to go ahead and do this.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 03:58:59 PM »
Tome of Magic page 117 states that Shadowcasters can enter and be advanced by Mystic Theruge (substituting 2nd level mysteries for 2nd level spells).  It seems that they intended it to be the arcane side, but there is nothing actually stating that.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 04:23:45 PM »
Because I'm thinking of making one, just a sort of basic guide to various combinations of casting classes and how to get the most out of each one, that sort of thing.

Not just for casting per se, also ToB manuevers, psionics, etc.

If no one knows of a resource like this I'll be putting up a skeleton for it probably sometime today or tomorrow.

I can't even recall whether I ported it all over, but in my build compendium on here (a thread called something like CO Compilation : Kell's Build's) I have several Rainbow Warsnakes that get a preposterous number of available spell lists while still getting 9th level spells without resorting to VSC-ing 8's.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

thebigstupidfighter

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 04:45:17 PM »
Rainbow Warsnake is more something I'd toss into a 'dirty tricks' section rather than writing up a build for, but if you have a build you think is worth pointing out specifically I'd be happy to link it.