Author Topic: Spirit Shaman optimization for a guy who wants to go all-around.  (Read 6760 times)

Sachiru

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Planning to go for spirit shaman and (possibly holt warden) another prestige class.

I'm going to start the game at level 15 with these stats:

16, 13, 7, 12, 16, 13

Please advise as to what's the best way to build my character, provided that:

• As much as possible, no setting-specific material like Eberron or Faerun
  • All WotC published material is okay.
  • Holt Warden is optional, use any prestige class that makes him/her an all around character, without removing his ability to atone for others.
  • Spirit Shaman is compulsory.
  • 200k starting gold, please advise as to what items and skills I should take.

I know that this is rather demanding, but please bear with me.

EDIT: Stats changed.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 01:18:26 PM by Sachiru »

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: Spirit Shaman optimization for a guy who wants to go all-around.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 01:09:20 PM »
Be a ghost pixie hood.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Sachiru

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 01:19:04 PM »
Be a ghost pixie hood.

Sorry, noob here, please explain.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 02:07:38 PM »
Be a ghost pixie hood.

Sorry, noob here, please explain.
It is an injoke on this forum. Based on several posters tendency to suggest the same thing in all circumstances.

For a spirit shamen you might want to look at druid handbooks on this site as they share the same spell list and a spirit shaman could imitate a summoning druid very easily.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 07:25:10 PM »
I like Spirit Shaman as an entry to Walker in the Waste (Sandstorm), but I'm not sure if that fits the flavour you're looking for. A warforged going into Landforged Walker is also quite good (Secrets of Xen'drik), but that's an Eberron book.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 12:09:16 AM »
As a Spirit Shaman, you can relocate your primary casting stat to Cha if you take the feat Dynamic Priest from Dragonlance.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 12:28:44 AM »
If you haven't settled on a race as of yet the Dream Dwarves out of Races of Stone may complement a Spirit Shaman really well (given that they can see ethereal creatures without difficulty from first level onwards).

Second point, if you haven't focused on a specific style of combat I'll throw out the extremely awesome & thematic harpoon as a suggestion. By level 6 it'll count as a ghost touch weapon and will give ghosts one hell of a surprise when you drag them across a battlefield with a harpoon sticking out of their incorporeal chest. 

Sachiru

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 01:33:11 AM »
If you haven't settled on a race as of yet the Dream Dwarves out of Races of Stone may complement a Spirit Shaman really well (given that they can see ethereal creatures without difficulty from first level onwards).

Second point, if you haven't focused on a specific style of combat I'll throw out the extremely awesome & thematic harpoon as a suggestion. By level 6 it'll count as a ghost touch weapon and will give ghosts one hell of a surprise when you drag them across a battlefield with a harpoon sticking out of their incorporeal chest. 

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've been more into summoning and buffing summons. Still, it's cool, so I'm taking a harpoon as my weapon.

gorfnad

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 03:49:23 AM »
The Spirit Shaman Handbook may be of use to you
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 03:51:57 AM by gorfnad »

Sachiru

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 05:00:22 AM »

gorfnad

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 06:03:34 PM »
How many levels of Spirit Shaman and Holt Warden are in that build?
And why Alertness? It's really a waste of a feat unless it's a prereq for something.
Also why Spell Focus Conjuration? None of the conjuration spells you're using require a saving throw.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 06:13:25 PM by gorfnad »

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 06:11:30 PM »
Alertness comes for free from the Spirit Guide class feature.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

gorfnad

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 06:13:47 PM »
Alertness comes for free from the Spirit Guide class feature.
Ah, that makes sense.

S_Jerusalem

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 08:38:06 PM »
I suggest getting yourself a mithral/darkwood buckler, magically enhanced. It will help out your AC, is cheap, and you won't incur any real penalties due to no ACP.

Make up a few different spell lists, ie: dungeoncrawling, off-days, wilderness, planar adventure, etc. Switch it up a bit, as variety is your bag.

I'm not sold on the effectiveness of turning a Spirit Shaman into a summoner beyond investing in the spontaneous summoning, ymmv. I think having a few metamagics might behoove you, since that is the real benefit of the retrieval system for spontaneous casting, in my opinion.

If you really want to summon as your focus, without being an actual Druid, consider dipping a PrC that gets you the Summoner domain and going Malconvoker. I believe with the way adding domains to non-clerics works, you could retrieve Summon Monster whatevers and cast as many times as you have slots. Just a thought to consider exploring, especially since you are a CHA-based caster.

Also, don't forget to Spellstaff your quarterstaff. :)

Sachiru

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 08:33:56 AM »
And why Alertness? It's really a waste of a feat unless it's a prereq for something.
Also why Spell Focus Conjuration? None of the conjuration spells you're using require a saving throw.

It's the prerequisite for Augmented Summoning.

gorfnad

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 03:32:22 AM »

It's the prerequisite for Augmented Summoning.
That makes sense now. Haven't really noticed that before.

S_Jerusalem

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
Oh, and if you plan on making it to 17th level, you don't want to miss out on the Guide Magic ability at SS10. Being able to Summon Elemental Monolith without taking up your action every turn is absolutely nuts, possibly the single most powerful ability a SS can bring to bear. There are other applications, but that is one you really don't want to miss out on.

I think SS10 into Holt Warden10 is great, and you get a lot out of it, but unless you are starting at low level and your group has no real healing to speak of you should delay Holt Warden until 11, and make the most of your crazy Guide Magic. Honestly, SS11/HW9 may be just as good or better, with the free raise effect at SS11. That is a pretty strong ability to have around in mid levels, basically a limited use Psi-Revivify.