Author Topic: Tayfolk  (Read 2578 times)

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Tayfolk
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:14:26 AM »
Anyone see this race?  Page 100 in Bestiary of Krynn, Revised.   Just thought I'd point it out.... it's a race of twins. (One is elven and beautiful/the other is large furry (or reptilian) and strong) the Tayling looks like it would make a great Swiftblade and the Taylang has rage as a racial ability (no juggling alignments in build/half-orc paragon). 

I dunno if you're bored check it out and tell me what you think.  I'm playing dragonlance and I think I'm gonna try to get my friend to play one of the twins while I play the other.  (We, like every other sane 3.5 player uses LA buyoff)

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
Re: Tayfolk
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 05:18:48 PM »
I didn't remember that one ever popping up.
I just googled it, and got No responses after 2004.
I think you're on your own on this.
Perhaps a board more active with DragonLance stuff, would get more action.

Fluffles

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 05:30:02 PM »
I don't have the Revised Bestiary  :banghead

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 05:50:46 PM »
Tayling eating a +2LA sucks as a caster, but is otherwise not too shabby if you can LA-buyoff.

Taylang eats +1LA and 2 Monstrous Humanoid HD, but that's actually decent? for a Large size creature. Being monstrous can qualify for some interesting PrC's as well, but is unfortunately lacking any natural attacks.

Fluffles

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 06:16:11 PM »
+1 La? 2 RHD? Not bad at all for large size. And Monstrous Humanoid aint as bad as an Incarnate Construct Maug's Giant HD.

Jopustopin

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 06:34:17 PM »
Being monstrous can qualify for some interesting PrC's as well, but is unfortunately lacking any natural attacks.

But they are automatically proficient with the greatclub!

So yeah, I'm thinking of convincing a friend to play this with me.  Still haven't given much thought as to what exactly I'd play.  A Tayling Factotum/Taylang Warblade sounds like fun.   We do level adjustment buy off so it's not that big of a deal.   A Tayling gets haste as a spell like ability 3/day with stats that synergize well with the swiftblade so might look over in that direction as well. 

What's the protocol on posting the races on the forums?

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 07:00:19 PM »
What's the protocol on posting the races on the forums?

SUmmary of the pure stats/abilities should be fine for fair use (unless you're just pasting the entire stat block), but swaths of fluff is pretty much out.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 07:45:21 PM »
Dvati have a similar gimmick and make great dragonfire adepts (not to mention fiends of possession). I'm curious to see the mechanics of their "twinness".
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Jopustopin

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 10:00:44 PM »
Tayfolk Traits
[spoiler]
Tayfolk Traits:
-Low-light vision
-Immunity to sleep spells and similar magical effects and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells and effects.
-Combat Synergy (Su)  When a pair of tayfolk siblings are both conscious and in the same battle, they each gain a +2 insight bonus to initiative checks and reflex saves.  A tayfolk who uses the aid another action to assist its sibling against an opponent increases the bonus to +4 instead of +2
-Empathic Bond (Su) A tayfolk fluff knows when their twin is hurt, upset, or in danger. This empathic link will go up to a mile in which general emotional information can be shared.  Because of this empathic link, a tayfolk has the same connection to an item or place as its twin.  (for example teleporting into a room that the one has been to but not the teleporter)
[/spoiler]

Tayling
[spoiler]
Humanoid (tayfolk)
Speed 30 feet.
Strength -2; dex +2; con -2; wis +2; cha +2
+2 racial on concentration and spot checks
Favored Class: sorcerer
LA: +2
Spell Rage (Su) A tayling's spell rage enables it to channel any unused prepared spells or unused spell slots into bolts of magical energy.  A tayling can generate one bolt per round, which is treated as a ranged touch attack that deasl 1d6 points of damager per level of the spell or spell slot channeled (maximum 9d6).  A tayling who is spell raging gains a +2 bonus to all saving throws but incurs a -2 penalty to AC.  When all of a tayling's spells slots are expended, it becomes fatigued for the remainder of the encounter. A  tayling who is not able to cast spells may still channel power into a single bolt that deals 1d6 points of damager per character level (maximum 5d5), at which point it becomes fatigued.
Spell Resistance (Ex) A tayling has spell resistance equal to 5 + character levels.
Spell-like Abilities: 3/day -cure minor wounds, mage hand.  A tayling of 3rd level or higher can use cat's grace 3/day; 6th level or higher haste 3/day; 9th level or higher polymorph 3/day.  Effective caster level is the tayling's character level.
[/spoiler]
Taylang
[spoiler]
Monstrous Humanoid (Tayfolk)
Strength +6, Con +2, Int -2, Cha -4
Large size
Racial Hit Dice A taylang begins with two levels of monstrous humanoid; 2d8 hit dice; bab +2; Fort +0/Ref +3/Will +3
Racial Skills (2 + int) x4 at first level; Climb, Intimidate, Listen and Survival
+2 racial on intimidate and listen.
Weapon Proficiency A taylang is automatically proficient with the greatclub
+4 natural armor bonus
Special Attacks: Rage (1/day exactly like the barbarian rage except that if the taylang's sibling is killed he automatically flies into a rage, even if he has already used the ability in the last 24 hours. Also if the sibling dies he flies into a "greater rage"  *also if a taylang is in a rage his twin incurs a -1 penalty on attack rolls and will saves lol)
Favored class: Fighter
LA +1
[/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 01:10:38 AM »
The tayling has some of the best spell like abilities i have ever seen, polymorph 3 times per day is insane.

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 01:19:57 AM »
Could a Tayling qualify for Swiftblade with spell like abilities?

Jopustopin

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 02:02:06 AM »
The tayling has some of the best spell like abilities i have ever seen, polymorph 3 times per day is insane.

I agree that the Tayling clearly got the better selection of abilities. 

Swiftblade requires not only haste but that you prepare and cast them from a 3rd level slot.  So the Tayling would still have to take levels in sorcerer/wizard/something that gives you haste. 

What to do with the Taylang though...  Sad that the tayling would surpass the taylang at just about any build. 

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 02:56:37 AM »
Too bad empathic bond is so limited - hathran would have been cool.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 06:40:13 PM »

Does it mean the spellcasting twin can use a Rod his raging twin is holding? I can think of a few tricks here, such as using up to 4 rods at once...
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 08:36:27 PM »
swaths of fluff is pretty much out.
People bother/try to post that stuff on other forums? :lmao
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Jopustopin

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 04:21:26 PM »
quote spoiler
[spoiler]
Tayfolk Traits
[spoiler]
Tayfolk Traits:
-Low-light vision
-Immunity to sleep spells and similar magical effects and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells and effects.
-Combat Synergy (Su)  When a pair of tayfolk siblings are both conscious and in the same battle, they each gain a +2 insight bonus to initiative checks and reflex saves.  A tayfolk who uses the aid another action to assist its sibling against an opponent increases the bonus to +4 instead of +2
-Empathic Bond (Su) A tayfolk fluff knows when their twin is hurt, upset, or in danger. This empathic link will go up to a mile in which general emotional information can be shared.  Because of this empathic link, a tayfolk has the same connection to an item or place as its twin.  (for example teleporting into a room that the one has been to but not the teleporter)
[/spoiler]

Tayling
[spoiler]
Humanoid (tayfolk)
Speed 30 feet.
Strength -2; dex +2; con -2; wis +2; cha +2
+2 racial on concentration and spot checks
Favored Class: sorcerer
LA: +2
Spell Rage (Su) A tayling's spell rage enables it to channel any unused prepared spells or unused spell slots into bolts of magical energy.  A tayling can generate one bolt per round, which is treated as a ranged touch attack that deasl 1d6 points of damager per level of the spell or spell slot channeled (maximum 9d6).  A tayling who is spell raging gains a +2 bonus to all saving throws but incurs a -2 penalty to AC.  When all of a tayling's spells slots are expended, it becomes fatigued for the remainder of the encounter. A  tayling who is not able to cast spells may still channel power into a single bolt that deals 1d6 points of damager per character level (maximum 5d5), at which point it becomes fatigued.
Spell Resistance (Ex) A tayling has spell resistance equal to 5 + character levels.
Spell-like Abilities: 3/day -cure minor wounds, mage hand.  A tayling of 3rd level or higher can use cat's grace 3/day; 6th level or higher haste 3/day; 9th level or higher polymorph 3/day.  Effective caster level is the tayling's character level.
[/spoiler]
Taylang
[spoiler]
Monstrous Humanoid (Tayfolk)
Strength +6, Con +2, Int -2, Cha -4
Large size
Racial Hit Dice A taylang begins with two levels of monstrous humanoid; 2d8 hit dice; bab +2; Fort +0/Ref +3/Will +3
Racial Skills (2 + int) x4 at first level; Climb, Intimidate, Listen and Survival
+2 racial on intimidate and listen.
Weapon Proficiency A taylang is automatically proficient with the greatclub
+4 natural armor bonus
Special Attacks: Rage (1/day exactly like the barbarian rage except that if the taylang's sibling is killed he automatically flies into a rage, even if he has already used the ability in the last 24 hours. Also if the sibling dies he flies into a "greater rage"  *also if a taylang is in a rage his twin incurs a -1 penalty on attack rolls and will saves lol)
Favored class: Fighter
LA +1
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Thinking of playing a slightly less cheesful slightly more "3.5" version of the goatball mvp. (obviously less optimal since I have two levels of monstrous humanoid)
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871346/Tome_of_Battle:_Build_Compendium?post_id=338392510#338392510

Build skeleton
[spoiler]
1)Monstrous Humanoid (Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Greatspear*)   *Complete Warrior
2)Monstrous Humanoid
3)Warblade (Point Blank Shot)
4)Fighter (Weapon Focus: Greatspear)
5)Fighter (Precise Shot)
6)Bloodstorm Blade (Combat Expertise)
7)Bloodstorm Blade
8)Bloodstorm Blade (Weapon Specialization: Greatspear)
9)Bloodstorm Blade (Ranged Weapon Mastery (Piercing))
10)Bloodstorm Blade
11)Bloodstorm Blade (Far Shot)
12)Exotic Weapon Master [Trip trick] (Improved Trip)
13)Bloodstorm Blade
14)Bloodstorm Blade
15)Bloodstorm Blade (Power Attack) (Improved Sunder) or (Power Attack)(Extra Rage)
16)Bloodstorm Blade
17)Master Thrower [Improved crit trick: x3  ---> x4]
18)Warblade  (Combat Brute) or (Improved Crit: Greatspear) or (Reckless Rage)
19)Warblade
20)Warblade
[/spoiler]

Comments?  I choose greatspear because it's an exotic melee weapon that has a range increment.  Exotic to qualify for Exotic weapon master and range increment to count for the feat "Ranged Weapon Mastery."  I was considering a shorter exotic spear I found in races of Ansalon; it has a range increment of 20 feet instead of 10.  It also doesn't have reach, unlike the Greatspear.  (Remember I'm a Taylang so I'm large already; I don't really need reach as much as a medium creature).  

Yeah so any comments?  Ways to improve the build?
Stats I rolled: 17,16,12,12,10,10 (method 4d6 drop lowest; 6 times)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 04:27:57 PM by Jopustopin »

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 12:27:39 PM »

Does it mean the spellcasting twin can use a Rod his raging twin is holding? I can think of a few tricks here, such as using up to 4 rods at once...

Interpreting "connection" as physical contact sounds like something that'd be hard to convince a DM to let you do. Kudos if you manage it.
Something easier to get past your DM would be item familiar/weapons of legacy.. If you played with your sibling as a leadership cohort you could make him take the required feats/classes while you took the benefits. Possibly.