Author Topic: As a Conjurer i there any reason you would not ban evocation?  (Read 9948 times)

Fluffles

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: As a Conjurer i there any reason you would not ban evocation?
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2010, 08:15:53 AM »
Enchantment is blocked by a single spell also.

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2010, 03:39:07 PM »
Agreed, which is why I usually pick Illusion and Enchantment as my prohibited.

Fluffles

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2010, 04:39:59 PM »
I tend to go with Enchantment/Evoc and Necromancy, depending on the build.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2010, 04:48:27 PM »
Manyjaws, the fun spell that lets you munch them to death with force damage. Also seriously optimizable.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2010, 05:19:52 PM »
Manyjaws, the fun spell that lets you munch them to death with force damage. Also seriously optimizable.

PAC-MAN om nom nom pixie ghosts

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2010, 05:21:21 PM »

So THAT's what a Living Manyjaws would look like!
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2010, 05:31:47 AM »
  and Friendly Fire is hilarious, if unoptimal.

You mean that spell that turns all rays (or any other ranged touch attack) back on the caster?

...yeah that's totally suboptimal

You can do more with that spell slot.  The duration is kinda meh.

[/quote]
But then really, this coming from (and I don't know about you personally) people that advocate getting rid of Necromancy if you are playing a high level wizard. Necromancy, which has one of the best defensive spells in the game.[/quote]

Which one is that?

How about...Anticipate Teleportation, Indomitability, Antimagic Field (if you plan on spell aiming), Starmantle, Ironguard, Mindblank, Effulgent Epuration...to name a few.

I tend to classify AT and AMF as offensive.  Ironguard requires offensive use of chain suppress magic often as not.  Never heard of Starmantle

And you already mentioned the Dispels, which are sometimes essential for defense as well.

I think of getting rid of status effects as healing rather than defense.

Almost the entire school of Illusion is defeated by a single spell...yeah...and miss chance/AC are virtually irrelevant if you optimize correctly. Transmutation is better for spells like Celerity and Shapechange.

And True Seeing is easily countered with Invisible  Spell + Obscuring Mist.  AC is almost always irrelevant past a certain level if you optimize even slightly.  Miss Chance usually stays pretty relevant though, IME.

And I have yet to play in a game where Celerity is actually allowed.  For that matter, I generally avoid counting on shapechange because I rarely see, let alone play, high-op games, and shapechange is right after celerity and gate on the ban list.

Honestly, i'm on favor of losing the whole polymorph subschool, because it's near unfixable.
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2010, 09:58:55 AM »

So THAT's what a Living Manyjaws would look like!

I recon living Manyjaws would be more:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
than
[spoiler][/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2010, 10:24:34 AM »
But then really, this coming from (and I don't know about you personally) people that advocate getting rid of Necromancy if you are playing a high level wizard. Necromancy, which has one of the best defensive spells in the game.

Which one is that?
Astral Projection.

How about...Anticipate Teleportation, Indomitability, Antimagic Field (if you plan on spell aiming), Starmantle, Ironguard, Mindblank, Effulgent Epuration...to name a few.

I tend to classify AT and AMF as offensive.  Ironguard requires offensive use of chain suppress magic often as not.  Never heard of Starmantle
Irongaurd ignores magical metal as well as nonmagical (so no support from other spells necessary).  Lesser Irongaurd only protects against mundane. 

Starmantle is a nasty spell from Book of Exalted Deeds.  Nonmagical weapons that strike you are destroyed without harming you.  Magical weapons aren't, but you can make a DC 15 Reflex save to halve the damage.  Guess what that Ring of Evasion is excellent for?
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2010, 10:49:51 AM »
Astral Projection is best obtained from Nightmares. Which are obtained through Conjuration.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

jolt

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2010, 10:50:51 AM »
Starmantle is a nasty spell from Book of Exalted Deeds.  Nonmagical weapons that strike you are destroyed without harming you.  Magical weapons aren't, but you can make a DC 15 Reflex save to halve the damage.  Guess what that Ring of Evasion is excellent for?
That's just nasty for an incantatrix, persist it on everyone in the group and let's all buy a ring of evasion?

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2010, 10:53:08 AM »
really if you needed to be immune to non magical weapons you could just go incorporial...

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2010, 10:58:14 AM »
Going incorporeal is harder (only a few, high level spells do it), and it also has very real drawbacks (like no Strength score).  This is the better method of being immune to nonmagical.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

jolt

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2010, 11:00:27 AM »
As I'm reading the spell, starmantle should give you immunity to magical weapons too with a boosted reflex save and the ring of evasion.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2010, 11:02:14 AM »
As I'm reading the spell, starmantle should give you immunity to magical weapons too with a boosted reflex save and the ring of evasion.
Not immunity.  There's always that annoying "1".

Still, a 95% chance to just ignore the damage any magic weapon attack  and 100% chance for nonmagical is huge, and that's if they hit you.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2010, 12:39:52 PM »
Not immunity.  There's always that annoying "1".

Still, a 95% chance to just ignore the damage any magic weapon attack  and 100% chance for nonmagical is huge, and that's if they hit you.

Of course, with any DM it's likely that Evasion doesn't work with Starmantle, but hey, who am I to ruin RAW?
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

jolt

« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2010, 01:10:02 PM »
More likely he will just start shooting you with heavily meta'd spells to show his superiority?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2010, 02:00:10 PM »
Or TurboAMF fields or MDJs
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Ian Frost

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2010, 04:19:57 PM »
Or TurboAMF fields or MDJs
Field fields?  :P

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2010, 04:31:12 PM »
There's always that annoying "1".

You can give up a feat to gain the granted power of the pride domain, reroll all 1s on saves.