Author Topic: The COnjurer Summoner (was Wizard-Based Summoner Build: Seeking Improvements)  (Read 7126 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Intro
This is a cohort who will be ECL5 or 6 when he joins the party.

No more Dragonborn or draconic characters.  The DM is sick of them.  Polymorph buffs are self-only.  All skills have a max rank of 3 + my HD.

Otherwise, all material is allowed, pending DM approval.  Third party material must be written by someone who wrote an official D&D book or article.

I'm with Treantmonk on this one.  I love summoning.  I want to turn D&D into an 'RTS' of sorts.  I chose Wizard because of more spells per day and creatures with spell-like and supernatural abilities.

Permanent pets aren't my thing.  Too much care and maintenance, and I don't want my extraplanar 'pets' wreaking havoc and killing the party.

Questions
1: I heard there was some spell or feat that let lets me apply the Fiendish or Infernal template to creatures I summon.  What are the names and references of these abilities?

Party Mates @7
-Human Rogue1/Artificer6.  My master and the group's 'Santa Claus.'  He makes items and golems.  He can sneak, and handle traps, but we've never needed stealth.  Our next mission will probably require stealth, however.

-Dragonborn Blue Conjurer5/Incantatrix2.  Group disabler and buffer.  My master and he don't normally get along, but they're improving.

-Human Cleric5/Dread Witch2.  He's a fear-focused Cleric who wears full plate, wields a glaive, looks like Sauron, and has a 'medieval emo' vibe.  Don't expect him to help.  We call him 'Scary Gary.'

-Wood Elf 'Fighter.'  She's the DM's dual-wielding melee DPS character.  The class is officially 'DM' but she's only mildly effective.

-Dragonborn Kalashtar Shaper5/Anarchic Initiate2.  The group's blaster and, when he uses metamorphosis, psi-gish.  (He spent 200 XP per power level to research new poers and won't be levelin' for a good long time.)

-Dragonborn Draconic LA0 Aasimar Bard4/Crusader1.  Primary support character and the Kalashtar's cohort.  Heals in battle and buffs with Inspire Courage.  He's off-DPS.  Next level, he plans to go Marshal next so everyone gets +6 initiative from Motivate Dexterity.

-LA0 Drow Rogue5/Assassin2: Sneaker and face woman.  Her character seems a bit loony but her player is new to the group.  She loves poisons, Sneak Attack, and Death Atttack.

Prospective Build: No Lost Caster Levels
Fire Strongheart Halfling Focused Conjurer4/Master Conjurer1/Malconvoker1/Conjurer+1/Malconvoker+4/Paragnostic Apostle1/Master Conjurer+3/Archmage3/Master Conjurer+2

1:  {Aggressive}, {Murky-Eyed}, {Noncombatant}, {Spellgifted: Conjuration}
1:  [Improved Initiative: Lose Scribe Scroll], [Oppose Enchantment, Evocation, and Necromancy], [Rapid Summoning: Lose my Familiar]
1:  Augment Elemental, Improved Practiced Caster (Forgive 1 lost caster level from Malconvoker - Homebrew), Practiced Caster, Spell Tenacity: Conjuration (+1 CL instead of DC, counts as Spell Focus - Homebrew)
3:  Augment Summoning
5:  [Skill Focus: Spellcraft] - I'm guaranteed to have all the stuff above this line!

6:  [Deceptive Summons: Double Duration], Rashemi Elemental Summoning
7:  [Summon Elemental]
8:  [I learn planar binding spells.  Whee!]
9:  [Skill Focus: Bluff], #FEAT#
10: [Deceptive Summons: +2 HP/HD, +2 weapon damage]
11: [Fiendish Legion: +1 Evil creature summoned]
12: [Call of Worlds: Summons get fast healing of 2 + 1/3CL, max +5]
13: [Expanded Spellbook], #FEAT#
14: [Greater Spell Tenacity: Conjuration (+1 CL instead of DC, counts as Greater Spell Focus - Homebrew)]
15: [Minor School Esoterica: Conjured creatures get +1HP/CL], Spell Tenacity: Transmutation
16: [Mastery of Shaping OR Spell Power: +1 CL]
17: [Spell-like Ability: time stop]
18: [Mastery of Shaping OR Spell Power: +1 CL]
19: [Expanded Spellbook]
20: [+1 Conjuration CL]

#FEAT POOL#
-Augment Elemental - Elementals summoned via summon spells or Summon Elemental have +2 enhancement accuracy/damage, and 2x its HD in temp HP.  (Saving for later if I'm a fire elf)
-Heighten Spell - Only useful with Metamagic School Focus: Conjuration.  Allows for summoning a higher level elemental pet sooner.
-Heroic Surge - +1 standard action per day.  Usable 1/4HD, but only once per round.
-Invisible Spell - Invisible summons!
-Metamagic School Focus: Conjuration - Most useful with Heighten Spell.  Allows for summoning a higher level elemental pet sooner.
-Planar Touchstone: Summoner Domain - It's +2 CL for Conjuration: Calling/Summoning.

Prospective Build: Uber Elemental Pet ASAP
FireStrongheart Halfling Focused Conjurer5/Malconvoker5/Paragnostic Apostle1/Master Conjurer4/Archmage3/Master Conjurer+2

1:  {Aggressive}, {Murky-Eyed}, {Noncombatant}, {Passionate}
1:  [Improved Initiative: Lose Scribe Scroll], [Oppose Enchantment, Evocation, and Necromancy], [Rapid Summoning: Lose my Familiar]
1:  Augment Elemental, Heighten Spell, Metamagic School Focus: Conjuration, Spell Tenacity: Conjuration (+1 CL instead of DC, counts as Spell Focus - Homebrew)
3:  Augment Summoning
5:  [Summon Elemental] - I'm guaranteed to have all the stuff above this line!

6:  [Deceptive Summons: Double Duration], Rashemi Elemental Summoning
7:  [I learn planar binding spells.  Whee!]
8:  [Skill Focus: Bluff]
9:  [Deceptive Summons: +2 HP/HD, +2 weapon damage], #FEAT#
10: [Fiendish Legion: +1 Evil creature summoned]
11: [Call of Worlds: Summons get fast healing of 2 + 1/3CL, max +5]
12: [Skill Focus: Spellcraft], #FEAT#
13: [Expanded Spellbook]
14: [Greater Spell Tenacity: Conjuration (+1 CL instead of DC, counts as Greater Spell Focus - Homebrew)]
15: [Minor School Esoterica: Conjured creatures get +1HP/CL]
16: [Expanded Spellbook], Spell FOcus: Illusion OR Spell Tenacity: Transmutation
17: [Mastery of Shaping OR Spell Power: +1 CL]
18: [Spell-like Ability: time stop]
19: [Mastery of Shaping OR Spell Power: +1 CL]
20: [+1 Conjuration CL]

#FEAT POOL#
-Heroic Surge - +1 standard action per day.  Usable 1/4HD, but only once per round.
-Improved Practiced Spellcaster.
-Invisible Spell - Invisible summons!  I'll be nice and let the DM catch up a bit on this one.
-Planar Touchstone: Summoner Domain - It's +2 CL for Conjuration: Calling/Summoning.
-Practiced Spellcaster.  Use psychic reformation and take Spellgifted: Conjuration.

Up-a-Tier Additions
-Psychic reformation lets me start with Mercantile Background, buy what I need, then quietly nix it.  I also keep 90 of the extra 300 gold that I don't use on psychic reformation to get this build.

-I can use PsyRef to make Invisible Spell self-qualifying.

-PsyRef my way back to level 1 and rechoose my traits.  If I have Practiced Caster, I'll take Spellgifted: Conjuration.

Skills to Max @5
-Bluff                  8
-Knowledge: Arcana      8
-Knowledge: Dungeoneer  1
-Knowledge: Nature      1
-Knowledge: Planes      8
-Knowledge: Psionics    1
-Knowledge: Religion    1
-Spellcraft             8

Secondary Skills @5
-Tumble                 1

-Collector of Stories   2

Languages Known @5
Race
Speak Language

Abyssal
Auran
Celestial
Common
Halfling
Infernal
Terran

Items Purchased (166.9 Remaining of 19,300 Starting Cash)
[spoiler]
Weapons & Armor                    2.25 lb/308.99      
Dagger                                     1 lb/0.66

Mithril Dastana                         1.25 lb/308.33
   -Mithril                                    /300
   -Dastana                                    /8.33

Robes, Shirts, and Cloaks               lb/2643.74    
Ninja Suit                                     /18.74
   -MW Hide                                    /16.66
   -MW Move Silently                           /16.66

Sustaining Shirt of Resistance                 /2625
   -Sustenance                                 /1875
   -+1 Resist Saves                            /750

Rings                                   lb/842.66      
+1 Gambler's Ring                              /92.66
   -MW Bluff                                   /16.66
   -+1 Bluff                                   /75

Ring of INT I                                  /750

Amulets, Neckalces, Brooches, Charms    lb/206.25      
MW Holy Symbol                                 /206.25
   -+1 HP/HD on summon monster and
    summon nature's ally spells

Belts, Boots, and Gloves                lb/33.32      
Boots of Acrobatics                        
   -MW Tumble                                  /16.66

Stress Gloves                            
   -MW Concentration                           /16.66

This gauntlet also has a holy symbol
   crafted into the palm's exterior.

He also has a holy symbol carved
   into the flesh of each palm.

Headgear & Facegear                      lb/48.32      
Miner's Hearing Helm                            /31.66
   -Miner's - Liquid Sunlight                   /15
   -MW Listen                                   /16.66
   -Has liquid sunlight placed at front
    to "shed light as a torch" (20' bright,
    40' dim).
    Dark metal shutter to show/block light.
    Squeeze palm to toggle shutter.

Scout's Lens                                    /16.66
   -MW Perception

Haversack           15.5 lb Held      2.5 lb/1549.82  
Haversack                             2.5 lb/1500

Torch x3                                EACH 1 lb

MW Artisan's Tools                           5 lb/37.5

Light Crossbow                               3 lb/12.32
   -Light Crossbow                           2 lb/11.66
   -20 Bolts                                 1 lb/0.66

Wondrous Locations                          13,500    
Worldmeet Glade                                   13,500
   -My summonlings get +2 damage and
    all d20 rolls
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:31:58 PM by Endarire »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
Re: Wizard-Based Summoner Build: Seeking Improvements
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 01:59:31 AM »
Any way to make your summons into Hoods?
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 04:40:06 AM »
Since I don't determine my summons' feats and skills, nae.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 06:43:28 AM »
Since I don't determine my summons' feats and skills, nae.
Right shame that is.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 12:54:34 AM »
I updated the build with inventory.

For my sanity, I didn't PsyRef out item creation and artisan feats, though doing so would grant me more cash.

Speaking of which:

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 08:02:34 PM »
Paragnostic Apostle gives my summons fast healing.  Can be especially handy in a party with an Incantatrix to Persist my Summon Elemental.

Speaking of which:

Hitoshura

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 12:08:50 AM »
Paragnostic Apostle gives my summons fast healing.  Can be especially handy in a party with an Incantatrix to Persist my Summon Elemental.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 02:36:00 AM »
It acts like a summon monster spell, but its own range is fixed at 30'.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 03:22:58 AM »
Persisting an elemental has one main use:  You can buff it like a party member.  Just don't get forcibly moved away from your elemental!

Speaking of which:

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 12:02:36 PM »
It acts like a summon monster spell, but its own range is fixed at 30'.
I never noticed that, very nice trick.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 04:34:06 PM »
Any way to make your summons into Hoods?
Oh, by the way. I was trying to be ironic and all and you totally acted like a cool customer by not raising to the bait in a comedic fashion.

Darn you for being mature!  :clap

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 06:41:08 PM »
As an aside, I hope to play a Fire Strongheart Halfling Focused Conjurer1 someday with Summon Elemental, Augment Elemental, Augment Summoning, Metamagic School Focus, and Heighten Spell.

He has a sense of humor with his summons.  For example, his Earth Elemental is named "Crunchy" and looks like an anthropomorphic granola bar with an indentation at the top that serves as a saddle.  His Fire Elemental is an oversized flaming chicken named "Hot Chick."  His Air Elemental is a wispy tornado with the image of a fan in the middle and is of course named "Blow Hard."  His Water Elemental is made of fresh water and shaped like a Coke cup with ice and a straw.  Its name?  "Teen Spirit."  This way, my halfling can say, "Tastes like Teen Spirit!"

Speaking of which:

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 10:31:34 PM »
I hereby dub this build the COnjurer Summoner!

Speaking of which:

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
Would 'Elemental Scion' from MoE be a good class for the second build? Run around untargetable while in your persisted elemental. Basically Tsuyoshikentsu's powersuit build on steroids.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Elemental Scion of Zilargo (Magic of Eberron 68) gives NO casting progression.  Stay far, far away from it as a primary caster!

For flavor or theme, do what you will.

Speaking of which:

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
Alright. Didn't have the sourcebook myself. Pity it has no casting progression...

Hmm...my avatar is dead. Time to find a new one. Link was valid...oh well. New pic is nice too. :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 04:19:30 AM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.