Author Topic: Any way to persist a power?  (Read 10122 times)

OblivionSmurf83

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Any way to persist a power?
« on: May 19, 2010, 02:37:25 PM »
The spell to power Erudite would be one of the most powerful character combinations in the world, but for the standard psionic inability to persist powers. Clerics can use Divine Metamagic, Wizards can use Metamagic Effect, is there anything our poor Erudite can do?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Any way to persist a power?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 02:42:08 PM »
You could have your friendly neighborhood intantatrix do it, or use 3rd party stuff from Hyperconcious.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 02:47:05 PM »
Temporal Reiteration + Either Metamind or a way to recover the power points used.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

OblivionSmurf83

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 03:13:59 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, Rebel. Wouldn't that require casting Temporal Reiteration every round though? I'd rather something a bit more... permanent!

I don't suppose there are any feats around that let you apply metamagic feats to psionic powers? Or prestige classes that allow this?

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 03:33:31 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, Rebel. Wouldn't that require casting Temporal Reiteration every round though? I'd rather something a bit more... permanent!
Yup, every turn (barring linked power shenanigans).  Hey, beggars can't be choosers.  I don't think it's an accident they left out persistent power.  :)

I don't suppose there are any feats around that let you apply metamagic feats to psionic powers? Or prestige classes that allow this?

Fairly sure this doesn't exist.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 03:53:54 PM »
You can use spell-like ability feats (because the XPH says flat-out that you can use them on psi-likes, and that psionic powers are, point-blank, psi-like abilities).

As far as Hyperconscious goes, it was written by Bruce Cordell (who also wrote the XPH), so the only thing that's 3rd party about it is the company that printed the words on the paper and distributed it.

Fairly sure this doesn't exist.
Not so fast there, pardner.

If you want to use metamagic feats on your powers, you can take the mantled erudite (or mantled wilder, or mantled psywar, or ardent), with the Magic mantle. They technically still don't work due to incompatibility of mechanics, but metapsionics has a standard power point conversion rate of ([spell level adjustment*2]-2)+expended psionic focus.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 03:55:33 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Phoenix00

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 05:28:30 PM »
Illuminan race with naenhoon can use turn attempts twice a day to power metamagic, this is similar to divine metamagic but with any spell

Magic mantle allow you to treats psionics identical to magic, now your powers are also affected by anything that affects spells.

1 level dip for turn or rebuke undead

Thus you can persist two spells today with this combo, throw on extend and it is a total of 4 persistent buffs up at once.

Make sure to make two of these powers be sense danger (so you always act first) and schism (extra standard actions).  You also need synchitroty

Phoenix00

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 05:38:41 PM »
Spelldancer from magic of faerun should also work with the magic mantle (away from my books right now)

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 07:41:19 PM »
Recharge set-up and -fest them over and over.

Chameleon Crafting feat in Dragon #349 works with quirks.
You could make a Magic Item with Persist on it, that has a Psi Power in the item.
You might not need a UMD check to make it work.

Banaticus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 05:59:54 AM »
If only there was a regional Forgotten Realms feat that allows you to treat psionics and magic as exactly the same.  Then take a metamagic feat and presto, apply it to a psionic power.  It will be raised to a higher manifester/caster level, but as long as you can manifest/cast powers of that level, it doesn't make them cost more power points.  This also opens the door to divine metamagic on psionic powers with nighsticks and a single level of cleric. :)

OblivionSmurf83

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 07:30:01 AM »
:( I think all of the responses generally indicate that Psionics will remain tricky to persist for the near future.

Oh well

Back to dreams of Archivists and Chameleons, I suppose!

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 07:49:45 PM »
Monastic Servant of Auppenser ... can get 1 psi discipline onto a cleric list. So all of those can be persisted.
http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/leof_msoa.htm

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 08:21:22 PM »
Illuminan race with naenhoon can use turn attempts twice a day to power metamagic, this is similar to divine metamagic but with any spell

Magic mantle allow you to treats psionics identical to magic, now your powers are also affected by anything that affects spells.

1 level dip for turn or rebuke undead

Thus you can persist two spells today with this combo, throw on extend and it is a total of 4 persistent buffs up at once.

Make sure to make two of these powers be sense danger (so you always act first) and schism (extra standard actions).  You also need synchitroty

Very impressive.  I guess you could add in metamagic rods to go along with this.  Even better, would the Illumian's +2 to caster level bump up your manifestor level as well?  I can see a neutral cleric 1/ dreadnecromacer 1/ Ardent now.

The third party book of ultimate feats has a persistant power feat in it.  It is really, really wrong at high levels with all the psionic attack and AC powers that are personal.  I had a spread sheet to keep track of all of it.  Of course everything is wrong when that book is in the mix.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 08:26:39 PM »
Much more likely to be allowed in a game is Hyperconcious, which has a Persistant Power feat, but that has already been mentioned a couple of times.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

CYB3RPUNK

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Ascended Master Activities
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 08:28:25 PM »
Tactical Nuke, it wins every time with one shot.
Gas, Grass, or Ass no one posts for free.

Phoenix00

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 08:29:28 PM »
Very impressive.  I guess you could add in metamagic rods to go along with this.  Even better, would the Illumian's +2 to caster level bump up your manifestor level as well?  I can see a neutral cleric 1/ dreadnecromacer 1/ Ardent now.
Doesn't work, for to get naenhoon you take the sigils "naen" and "hoon" (naen boost int checks, hoon boost wis and con checks), the sigil related to caster level and early entry is the "krau" sigil.

You can though take the illumian race for the krau sigil, krau with magic mantle would make the caster level bonus be a manifester level bonus, and with the improved sigil krau feat you can enter into cerbemancer or psionic theruge with arcane or divine 1/ardent 2.

Unfortunately precocious apprentice doesn't work well with the magic mantle and early entry with ardent or improved sigil krau.  This is because now your powers are spells and thus you disqualify yourself for casting second level arcane spells via getting 2nd level psionics.

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 10:53:20 PM »

Just do the math & conversion?