Author Topic: Max out Base land speed?  (Read 6133 times)

Theomniadept

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Max out Base land speed?
« on: May 18, 2010, 03:12:43 PM »
I need help - I want to create a character, but this one's a bit odd. I want to see if I can break base land speed - and I need help.

First off, the only things not allowed are other campaigns like Eberron and FR, and Tome of Battle of course.

Now the one thing that MUST be done here is BASE land speed - I'm not talking about the Jumplomat with his Cheetah's Speed feat, I mean an actual base land speed that's extremely fast.

Any and all multiclassing is allowed, as well as feats, templates, races, magic items, etc.

Also, any broken tactics involving base land speed are welcomed - I'm talking even the stuff like shoving all party members in a bag of holding and spendind five minuts to complete a 3 hour trip, leaving a dungeon to get supplies and returning in minutes; go crazy.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: Max out Base land speed?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 03:19:58 PM »
If 3rd party books are allowed, then Lasting Spell is your friend.  DMM (Lasting Spell) moreso.  Put Footsteps of the Divine up to 1 century/level and discharge it.  You have one round of far more speed than you can ever find a use for.

Now, if not, you need the Shadow Creature template, since it has a speed multiplier for your new base speed (Paragon and Epic Pseudonatural do too, but with LA:--, you won't be using them).

A Dark Shadow Nezumi with the Quick trait has a base speed of 90ft at LA+3.  Every extra +10ft of movement we can get on there via template gives an extra 15 feet.

Blade Dancer is a PrC from Oriental Adventures that triples speed over the course of 10 levels.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:38:43 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 03:29:57 PM »
Go to 339 and look around for Chuck.  IIRC, his genesis was in somebody wanting to set a land speed record, before somebody else pointed out some sort of throw that scaled based on how far you'd moved and all hell broke loose.  If you can find the first thread where he started to come together you should get plenty to work with.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

CyMage

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 03:37:26 PM »
Not the most optimal choice, but one of the Marshall's major auras gives +5 feet per 'rank' of aura. 

Don't forget that you get +10 feet from Barbarian if you forgo Pounce.  :D

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 03:37:43 PM »
He didn't want burst speed like with Footsteps of the Divine shenanigans.

A few suggestions: Persistent Expeditious Retreat (or Haste), the Quick trait, a level in Barbarian, a level in Psion (for the Speed of Thought feat, or you could just take Wild Talent and Speed of Thought), a level in Cloistered Cleric (for the Travel Devotion), a level in Wild Shape Ranger (it gets Fast Movement as Barbarian, meaning at level 1), some levels of Swiftblade, and the previously mentioned Blade Dancer, which is excellent for increasing speed.

You could also get someone to cast Phantom Steed, but that's boring.

duncandun

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 03:48:04 PM »
tome of battle?

OF COURSE ITS BANNED!

sorry, this stuck out to me:( why would ToB be banned OF COURSE?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 03:48:39 PM »
Replace psion with ardent, the freedom mantel gives a bonus to speed, and also the cleric needs to take the celerity domain. With all the mentioned bonuses so far we could pick up a speed of about 495 ft per round without spells or powers or anything else. Assuming I did my math right.  Which means that this guy can walk at 56.25 miles per hour, and if he runs (with the run feat) he is moving at 281.25 miles per hour.

Also lets not have this be dragged into a ToB debate. Those just get tiresome after a while.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:52:18 PM by Havok4 »

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 04:01:52 PM »
The Dark template increases your base land speed by 50%.
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

duncandun

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 04:03:39 PM »
also, 339 used to have some books about optimized landspeed, i think the fastest one i ever saw was like 35000 MS? i cant remember, it was fast enough to escape the gravity of earth however.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 04:08:45 PM »
The Dark template increases your base land speed by 50%.
+10 feet, not +50%.  You're thinking Shadow Creature, which I mentioned up above (mentioned Dark too, for that matter).

Swordsage 5 with Martial Study (White Raven Tactics) can move an infinite distance without provoking AoO's in a round.  How you meet the prereqs for White Raven Tactics is up to you, but you initiate WRT as a Swift action, targetting yourself, spend a full-round action to recover it, and take a 5-foot step.  Repeat ad infinitum.

Keep in mind, this is over the course of X turns, but it all happens in one round.  Who needs Teleport?  A fly speed and a Swim speed would be welcome, though.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 04:16:32 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 04:32:39 PM »
wasn't there a rule that you could never initiate an maneuver in the same turn that you recover maneuvers? or was that warblade only?

edit: of course this isn't quite relevant to the discussion at hand due to the "of course" ban   :rollseyes

Anyway, I wonder how far just shapechange alone goes.  I know some dragons have flight speeds of around 300, dunno what had high land speed.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 04:35:37 PM by Rebel7284 »
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 04:37:16 PM »
wasn't there a rule that you could never initiate an maneuver in the same turn that you recover maneuvers? or was that warblade only?

edit: of course this isn't quite relevant to the discussion at hand due to the "of course" ban   :rollseyes
That's Warblade only, and yeah, it doesn't mean much to the OP.  Figured I would bring it up, though.  Even funnier is that it is all completely nonmagical.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 05:03:58 PM »
Although swordsages are the class that can make the best use of  crazy high movement speed, a dip happy build with blade dancer on one side of gestalt with swordsage on the other would be fun.  You could tornado throw people very well all day long. And a build like this might even make spring attack worthwhile as you can get outside of even their ranged attack range quite easily.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 05:41:03 PM »
Before I assembled Chuck, I dabbled in speed builds.
Inthis I helped someone make a version of sonic the hedgehog. That's right, google, sonic the hedgehog. Help me find at least this post again so I don't have to dig for it again. Sheesh.

This is one of my earlier build-crafts so I doubt it's still near the maximum, but it has a lot of interesting bits and pieces in it. Early entry tricks for Geomancer would make it more viable.

[spoiler]skydragonknight
07-12-06, 11:33 PM
Let me try this my hand at this...the trick is to maximize base land speed and power up with blade dancer.

Increases of Base Land Speed:
Catfolk: 40 ft.
Celerity Domain: +10 ft.
Barabarian Fast Movement: +10 ft.
Quick Trait: +10 ft, -1hp/level
Fleet of Foot(the regional feat): +10 ft
Epic Speed +30 ft
Drift Stage 2: +5 ft., can be taken multiple times
Blade Dancer 10: base speed x3
Dash: Speed +5 ft

Using Fractional BAB

(Catfolk)-40 ft
1 Druidic Avenger Fast Movement +10 ft Fleet of Foot(regional feet) +10 ft, Quick Trait +10 ft (70 ft)
2 Druidic Avenger
3 Druidic Avenger Run x5(Run 350 ft)
4 Wizard
5 Wizard
6 Wizard Dodge
7 Geomancer(wizard for this and future levels)
8 Geomancer
9 Geomancer Mobility +5ft (75 ft)
10 Geomancer +5ft (80 ft)
11 Contemplative Celerity Domain +10 ft (90 ft)
12 Geomancer +5 ft Spring Attack (95 ft)
13 Blade Dancer 2xspeed (190 ft)
14 Geomancer +5 ft (200 ft)
15 Geomancer +5 ft, Dash +5ft (220 ft)
16 Geomancer +5 ft (230 ft)
17 Geomancer Move like a cheetah 1/hr (2300 ft 1/hr)
18 Geomancer +5 ft (240 ft)
19 Blade Dancer
20 Blade Dancer
21 Blade Dancer x2 1/3 speed(round down) (280 ft), Blinding Speed +30 ft enhancement 5 rounds/day (310 ft 5 rounds/day)
22 (Epic)Geomancer +5 ft (290 ft)
23 (Epic)Geomancer +5 ft (300 ft) 8th-level wizard spells: Greater Celerity

330 ft x10(charge)=3,300 ft/round x10=ft/min x60=ft/hr
1,980,000 ft/hr=376.4 mi/hr
That's in an anti-magic field, btw.

Outside the anti-magic field w/Boots of Swiftness(does not stack with Epic speed) and Greater Celerity to Run after the charge(If I was moving that fast I would be dizzy too!)
130x3.33=430+30=460 ft x 15=6900 ft/ round x 600= 4,140,000 ft/hr
4,140,000 ft/hr=787.0 mi/hr or 1,150 ft/sec

speed of sound 343 m/sec(20 degree C)=1, 125 ft/sec.

ECL 24 she breaks the sound barrier[/spoiler]
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 09:09:10 PM »
Hood's speed is one of her main components!
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 09:14:36 PM »
Swordsage 5 with Martial Study (White Raven Tactics) can move an infinite distance without provoking AoO's in a round.  How you meet the prereqs for White Raven Tactics is up to you, but you initiate WRT as a Swift action, targetting yourself, spend a full-round action to recover it, and take a 5-foot step.  Repeat ad infinitum.
You can target yourself?  :twitch

I thought the wording in ToB had stuff refer to you if it could be applied, to you, like Martial Spirit.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 09:28:47 PM »
You can target yourself?  :twitch

I thought the wording in ToB had stuff refer to you if it could be applied, to you, like Martial Spirit.
You do count as your own ally.  The Sage ruled that you could target yourself too (although I would never allow it in a game).

Another method is an Egoist 13/Swordsage 1, proabably with a couple of Martial Study feats thrown in.  Manifest Fission when you want to move.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 09:36:24 PM »
Check my "lists of stuff" under the "speed" heading.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 10:22:57 PM »
Alternatively, a Warblade with Adaptive Style and White Raven Tactics can keep doing the 5-step into infinity.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"