Author Topic: Porting over handbooks  (Read 1647 times)

Cuindless

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Occam's Razor
Porting over handbooks
« on: May 16, 2010, 09:42:51 PM »
I wanted to ask a quick question about the etiquette of porting over handbooks from the wizards forums. I realize that I've already done that once (with the Choker) and probably should have asked first, but better late than never, right?

The question is this: Is it okay to port over handbooks from other sites and continue working on them? For example, the Bard's Handbook (located here: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870498/The_Bards_Handbook) is really awesome, but it's also incomplete and apparently abandoned. I love bards. Can I port that over to the handbook section and continue work on it? Is that okay?

Architect

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Wizardry
    • Email
Re: Porting over handbooks
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 10:11:14 PM »
I would suggest that you take those helpful tips from previously made handbooks, and expand on them with credit given to where it's due. If any of the authors are still frequenting those boards or these, PMing them would also be applicable.
Is that a dog?
Yes.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 11:20:01 PM »
What I did when I ported over the summon monster info page was I PM'd the author and made it clear that I wouldn't take credit for it, and that I just wanted to keep it from being lost.  He was fine with it (and also double-checked to confirm that I wouldn't claim authorship), so I did it.

I'd just do the same, and if they don't respond in 2-3 weeks, port it over and be sure to include a link to the original thread with credit to the original author.  You're doing a service to the community by providing a second source for their material, so I doubt any of the original authors would have an issue with it.

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 02:13:36 AM »
I would be happy to see all the handbooks moved from the WotC boards.   Just my five cents.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 02:56:15 AM »
Jop: Amen.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Cuindless

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Occam's Razor
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 02:57:42 PM »
Okay, the PM is sent. Man, reactivating my Wizards account was a pain. I think it officially reached rigamarole status. Now I wait a while and if he doesn't reply start with the portin'. Thanks for all the advice.