Author Topic: Help with a Kobold Hordeificer, plz  (Read 12928 times)

Awkward Map

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Help with a Kobold Hordeificer, plz
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2010, 10:29:02 PM »
phrenic creatures are born, not made. inherited templates are, RAI, part of your race. not sure on the relevant RAW, but the word "inherited" makes a pretty strong case all by itself.

I think this interpretation is correct.  Inherited templates give you racial spell-like abilities, while acquired templates do not.  The implications are that it's a brand new race.  Just as two half-orcs can produce a half-orc only, mommy and daddy phrenic half-fey gnome make a baby phrenic half-fey gnome only.  Uhh... I guess I'm okay with that.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2010, 11:07:27 PM »
I am of the opinion that even acquired templates are considered racial as a template is a modification of a creatures race so any abilities imparted by it would be considered racial abilities.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
By that logic, wouldn't dragonborn not be a race?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2010, 12:11:31 AM »
By that logic, wouldn't dragonborn not be a race?
By my logic? By my logic the abilities of the dragonborn template would actually be racial abilities.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2010, 12:18:58 AM »
I mean that acquired = not racial
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2010, 12:45:12 AM »
I mean that acquired = not racial
Oh, confusion on my part there.

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2010, 11:51:46 AM »
These are the feats I have so far, I have them listed in the order I get the, but I'm still missing my 3rd lvl feat, sorry I didn't get them up earlier, had to write up an essay I had forgotten about.

dragonwrought, scribe scroll, magic in the blood, wedded to history, brew potion, extraordinary artisan, craft wondrous item, legendary artisan, craft magical arms and armor, improved homunculus, craft wand, craft construct, master's voice, craft rod, bind elemental, craft staff, reach spell, forge ring, magical artisan(craft construct), magical artisan(bind elemental),

Flaws: noncombatant, inattentive.
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2010, 12:56:46 PM »
Please note that half fey changes your type to fey, but I think that dragonwrought overrules that. But that does look pretty good, be sure to use magic items to boost your UMD score so you can control more powerful constructs with masters voice. Also it looks like your costs will be down a great deal in regards to constructs, which is good as they are really expensive.

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2010, 02:14:51 PM »
That's kinda what I was hoping for, becase that way I can create a massive army, and if I give them rudimentary int I could even send out a squad on it's own. I guess that is because I DM so much, maybe. And I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I take half fey
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.

[/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2010, 02:38:42 PM »
That's kinda what I was hoping for, becase that way I can create a massive army, and if I give them rudimentary int I could even send out a squad on it's own. I guess that is because I DM so much, maybe. And I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I take half fey

You should take half fey if you want mind controlled minions as well as your golems.

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2010, 05:54:01 PM »
I had forgotten the specific SLA's, they could be very useful.

I just talked with my DM, and found out I'll. Be gestalting, but that has no effect on my feat choices. I don't know what I'll gestalt with, anyone know which classes require the least amount of feats?
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2010, 06:12:21 PM »
Artificer and Factotum, perhaps?

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2010, 06:17:58 PM »
Anyone know how effective factotum is without font of inspiration?
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2010, 06:26:13 PM »
Anyone know how effective factotum is without font of inspiration?

FoI can be done without. Plenty of effective Factotum builds eschew it in favour of other feats.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2010, 06:27:49 PM »
Pretty effective still, but with less in combat endurance. Although if you are not planning on focusing on skill use and want some nice side abilities you could pick up binder instead, which would also free up some feats at higher levels as there is a vestige that gives magic item creation feats. You could pick up the only mandatory feat for a binder (improved binding) as your missing 3rd level feat. You would get this swapable creation feat by level 5. Also your insane charisma from being venerable and having phrenic will let you make good use of these abilities.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2010, 07:03:03 PM »
Maybe a smattering of Marshal would help too, as you could put those auras to good use with your minions.

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2010, 07:26:51 PM »
Could someone explain the binder to me, I have the book, but I just know the basic concept behind it. Thank you. I go see if I can find a handbook on it too.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2010, 07:30:33 PM »
Here and Here are two versions of the largest handbook. I could see it have a fair amount of synergy with artificer.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2010, 07:34:07 PM »
Could someone explain the binder to me, I have the book, but I just know the basic concept behind it. Thank you. I go see if I can find a handbook on it too.

Fluffwise, you make pacts with powerful beings and bargain for a portion of their power. This gives you several abilities based on which of the vestiges you have bound, usually some passive and some active. Some always work, and some only work every 5 rounds or so. When you bind these vestiges, you have to check to make sure you do it properly. If you don't manage a proper binding, you still get the abilities, but you're influenced by the being and have to adopt some trait (like distrusting clerics, not taking any action that needs more than one round of concentration, or taking the time to deliver a short eulogy for creatures you kill).

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2010, 11:27:45 PM »
I'm about half way through the hand book now, and I think I will bind karsus, and paimon eventually binding andras and someone else. Going like this, I would ride on the back of one of my constructs into battle slinging spells from wands when I have to help defeat anything my constructs can't kill on their own. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks for the link to the handbook, though I had already found it.  :)

Thanks for the rundown on the binder. It cleared some things up.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]