Author Topic: Is it possible to combine an animal companion/cohort?  (Read 4057 times)

Banaticus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Is it possible to combine an animal companion/cohort?
« on: May 08, 2010, 12:06:36 AM »
Yes, I know there's a wild cohort which lets a person with a cohort get an animal follower, but is it possible to combine animal follower and cohort?  I'm seeing a way to combine familiars and animal companions and special mounts, but not an animal companion and a cohort.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Is it possible to combine an animal companion/cohort?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 12:43:18 AM »
There is no real way to do that as those functions are not meant to be interchangeable, the cohort is meant to be a separate entity.  Also wild cohort was in a web article and therefor gets no support.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 06:19:50 AM »
Best I can think of is combining a cohort and special mount (DMG p.200). It's kind of ambiguous in terms of what you get... the most liberal interpretation is that you combine all the benefits together, which is pretty darned nice. Stack it all up onto a supermount build for extra silliness.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

OblivionSmurf83

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 08:10:49 AM »
I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you want to combine your animal follower you get from Wild Cohort with your normal follower you get from Leadership? I'm not sure of any feats to do that, though a Psion with the Fusion power could manage it.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 10:56:30 AM »
Best I can think of is combining a cohort and special mount (DMG p.200). It's kind of ambiguous in terms of what you get... the most liberal interpretation is that you combine all the benefits together, which is pretty darned nice. Stack it all up onto a supermount build for extra silliness.
The Devoted Tracker feat lets you combine your animal companion with your special mount. Combine it with this to get what you're looking for. Note though, that treating your cohort as your special mount gives it +2 LA.

I recommend prestige paladin for accquiring the mount.

EDIT: A wild cohort is treated as an animal companion for most purposes, not a cohort.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 11:05:03 AM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 05:03:53 PM »
Yup everyone has mentioned the first, more obvious way. The downside is you have less bonus HD to the mount.

There is a second (similar) way as well, but its not optimal just like the above. This is the reason it was stricken from my (HD) supermount world record. The method is the Dragonrider PrC.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 01:40:13 AM »
Devoted Tracker feat lets you combine your animal companion with your special mount.
If only he feat worked the other way around...or would the feat as is cancel the summoning and duration?
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

OblivionSmurf83

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 03:14:19 AM »
As others have suggested, combining the Leadership cohort and Special Mount is your best bet. If you don't want to take 5 levels of Paladin to get a Special Mount, Harmonium Peacekeeper from Dragon 315 gets at 1st level, as per a 5th level Paladin (What's more, levels of Paladin stack with Harmonium Peacekeeper, ie, a Fighter 5/Paladin 3/Harmonium Peacekeeper 1 has the special mount of a 8th level Paladin - REALLY useful for Supermount builds).

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 03:23:00 AM »
As others have suggested, combining the Leadership cohort and Special Mount is your best bet. If you don't want to take 5 levels of Paladin to get a Special Mount, Harmonium Peacekeeper from Dragon 315 gets at 1st level, as per a 5th level Paladin (What's more, levels of Paladin stack with Harmonium Peacekeeper, ie, a Fighter 5/Paladin 3/Harmonium Peacekeeper 1 has the special mount of a 8th level Paladin - REALLY useful for Supermount builds).

ie, a Fighter 5/Paladin 3/Harmonium Peacekeeper 1

Fighter 5

Fighter 5

5 levels of fighter

...explain this one.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 04:18:04 AM »
ankle, u gave me a good long chuckle.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

OblivionSmurf83

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 05:17:13 AM »

ie, a Fighter 5/Paladin 3/Harmonium Peacekeeper 1

Fighter 5

Fighter 5

5 levels of fighter

...explain this one.

Every build needs 5 levels of fighter. Every build. I know Fighter 4 is a more traditional breakoff point, but that's only because people seem to think that not gaining any special abilities, feats, increases to saves, or anything at all besides 1 point of BAB somehow makes Fighter 5 undesirable. Crazy buggers.

More seriously, I got nothing. I was going by memory in trying to just put down the Dragon Magazine leadin to the class, but a review of Dragon 315 shows that even it's got Fighter 6/Paladin 3/Harmonium Peacekeeper 1 as its example build.

Anklebite, if it makes you feel any better, how about Crusader 5/Paladin 1/Harmonium Peacekeeper 1, for illustrating the point that Paladin and Harmonium Peacekeeper levels stack?

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 05:27:18 AM »
Hey, play nice. It was probably a typo or just a mistake or something.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

OblivionSmurf83

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 05:39:49 AM »
In fact, I take it back.

Commoner 12/Harmonium Peacekeeper 1. So there.

No, wait, Commoner 6/Fighter 3/Harmonium Peacekeeper 1.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 06:45:09 AM »
Commoner 2/Survivor 5/Fighter 3/Harmonium Peacekeeper 1.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 02:48:29 PM »
you know, it isn't going to piss me off if I know you are joking.  :P

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 03:36:20 PM »
An extra d10 hit die is nothing to laugh at. That's 5 hit points on average and that's 3 more hit points on average than the supposed Tier 1 class wizard gets.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 03:47:37 PM »
An extra d10 hit die is nothing to laugh at. That's 5 hit points on average and that's 3 more hit points on average than the supposed Tier 1 class wizard gets.
warblade was here.