Author Topic: Specializing in Poison daggers  (Read 2628 times)

RealMarkP

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Specializing in Poison daggers
« on: May 04, 2010, 02:57:40 PM »
I have a (sort of) idea in my head on how I would like this character to be. I just need help optimizing Him. Here are the criteria (not set in stone, but nice to have):

- Must be a Drow or lesser Drow.
- Must be level 8.
- Must use Two weapons, such as daggers.
- Each weapon has a poison on it.
- Quick draw is preferred.
- Be able to dodge melee attacks.
- 1 Flaw max.
- No psionics/incarnum.

What I envision this character doing is having a bunch of daggers on his person. Each dagger has a different poison on it. He will pull out two daggers and engage his target. After attacking with the two daggers, he will take a step back, drop them and pull out two new daggers (with different types of poisons on it). He will engage again, on the next turn. The point is to have the poisons kill the target rather then the daggers.

Stats:
Str: 14
Dex: 18
Con: 14
Int: 12
Wis: 11
Cha: 10

I'm thinking (feats):
- Quick draw
- Two-Weapon Fighting
- Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
- Dual Strike?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 03:05:41 PM by RealMarkP »

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Rogue Specializing in Poison daggers
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 03:02:04 PM »
I built an Illithid Savant that used TK maneuver to launch 13 poisoned daggers at my PCs. It was funny :)

Just an idea...

RealMarkP

Re: Rogue Specializing in Poison daggers
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 03:05:09 PM »
I built an Illithid Savant that used TK maneuver to launch 13 poisoned daggers at my PCs. It was funny :)

Just an idea...

Nice. I'm all for ranged combat as well. If you can replace the daggers with poison tipped darts, that would be great as well.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Specializing in Poison daggers
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 03:34:53 PM »
The issue with poison based builds is that so many things are immune that you really need some abilities that can deal with things like undead or constructs, also poisons are expensive so a method of magical production would be a good idea. Factotum fits all of these points as they can use magic to produce poisons easily and have abilities to deal with other threats, also you can add your int to poison damage, so I would recommend using a factotum as your base class. Be sure to take the master of poisons feat as well.

RealMarkP

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 03:59:51 PM »
I should have noted that this is a build for an NPC and I know that the characters that it will go up against are not immune to poisons.

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 04:23:56 PM »
Can't really recommend anything better than what's already here

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.0

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 06:20:32 PM »
If only psionics was allowed.... Shaper Psions make poisons better than Factotums. Far better. They get Psionic Minor Creation as a first level power.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

RealMarkP

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 10:13:30 AM »
Since this guy is an NPC, what would be the best build to deliver the poisons. Assume that the daggers are already poisoned and all he has to do is use them. My current build Idea is:

Drow Rogue 5/Ranger 2/Assassin 3

Feats:
- Weapon Finesse
- Weapon Focus (Dagger)
- Quick Draw
- Two-Weapon Fighting
- Two-Weapon Defense

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 01:38:42 PM »
If the character already has Weapon Focus (Dagger), you should get one level of Master Thrower (Complete Warrior). That will allow the character to use the Palm Throw Thrown Weapon Trick and throw 2 daggers (or shuriken or darts) with each attack. The caveat is that one's strength modifier doesn't apply to Palm Throw attacks, but you didn't want the dagger to do the damage, anyway.

That will double the amount of poison attempts you get.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 01:41:25 PM »
The Gnome Quickrazor and Iaijutsu Focus are both great choices for this style of fighting, if you want damage past the poisons.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 01:47:01 PM »
hand crossbows are my vote, but master thrower could probably out pace them. There is a feat in drow of the underdark that acts as rapid reload and weapon focus for the hand crossbow too, it seems to fit the flavor.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 05:43:22 PM »
I'd recommend using Rogue 4/Swashbuckler 3/ maybe Assassin, but Master Thrower or more Rogue/Swashbuckler might be better. Heck even Warlock 2 is an option(to nab 2 24/7 Buffs of your choice).
Complete Scoundrel has a Feat, stat stacks Rogue & Swashbuckler for Sneak Attack Dice and Grace + Swashbuckler gets Weapon Finesse and +Int to Damage with finessable weapons.

Also Gloves of the Balanced Hand can either save you a feat(TWF), or provide Improved TWF.
If only there was a way to poison the daggers from Gauntlet of Infinite Blades :rollseyes

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 06:38:16 PM »
I still recommend a factotum dip to add int to the poison damage, which makes it much more effective.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 06:48:01 PM »
I still recommend a factotum dip to add int to the poison damage, which makes it much more effective.
I think poisons which cause effects are much more effective than ability damage to be honest. Unconsciousness + 1 round = Coup d' Grace or something worse in DnD. Just sayin'.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 06:51:17 PM »
Unfortunately the save DCs on those poisons tend to be a lot lower.  You need to actually land the poisons to make it happen.

This is going to be hard because at level 8 Factotums can't make their own poison magically, and without psionics the cheap hack level 1 version doesn't work either.  A Wizard of some kind could do it by level 7, but then he's really not the kind of character you wanted.  Especially as an NPC you want magically generated poisons because otherwise the PCs now have all those poisons to attack with (the magical generated stuff just disappears after a while).

JaronK

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 07:02:40 PM »
This is for an NPC so the cost of poison is not an issue.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 08:08:22 PM »
(ex) break global economy then buy poisons at will
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 11:59:28 PM »
How's this:

Drow Swordsage 5/Bloodclaw Master 5 (Both from Book of Nine Swords)

Feats:
1 - Shadow Blade
1 - Weapon Focus (Dagger) (Bonus!)
3 - Two-Weapon Fighting
6 - Quick Draw
9- Improved Two-Weapon Fighting

Stats: High Str, Dex, Medium Con, Low mental

What he does: he has scent, rend, and no two-weapon fighting penalties.  Adds full str to his offhand and adds dex to damage for both weapons.  And has ToB maneuvers for teleporting, hiding, dmg, etc. 

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 01:31:50 AM »
Use this version of the lesser drow (taking 0 levels of the racial class)
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.