Author Topic: First time Totemist/ Magic of Incarnum User  (Read 7508 times)

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
Re: First time Totemist/ Magic of Incarnum User
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 08:06:28 AM »
don't sphinx claws do 1d8 base?
True, but they need a totem bind, too.
but then why would you need draconic claws?
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 10:28:10 AM »
don't sphinx claws do 1d8 base?
True, but they need a totem bind, too.
but then why would you need draconic claws?
Because they are there a) without a bind for 1D6 damage, and with a Hands bind for 1d8 damage. And some people say they improve all claw damage, even the Landshark hind claws, or Girallon claws, due to the funny wording.

melinore

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 06:42:48 PM »
So then is your opinion that they don't increase all claw damage Brainpiercing? I thought the wording made it clear that it did. Have I read that wrong? If so what else would you suggest instead of the Dragontouched feat? Should I substitute Bonus Essentia feat or would that be a waste of a feat?

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 07:15:41 PM »
So then is your opinion that they don't increase all claw damage Brainpiercing? I thought the wording made it clear that it did. Have I read that wrong? If so what else would you suggest instead of the Dragontouched feat? Should I substitute Bonus Essentia feat or would that be a waste of a feat?
RAI, probably not. RAW? I don't have the exact wording in my head, I guess you could make a point they do, especially since it costs a feat to even get there.

I would, however, always take Bonus Essentia for any Totemist, whenever you can afford it.

melinore

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 09:30:39 PM »
So I'll drop Dragontouched and then pick up Bonus Essentia. With my 3rd level feat I could possibly pick up another Soulmeld to shape. I think with my starting gold I'm going to buy an Amulet of Health and also put a point into Con at 4th level so I will start at 18 Con. Should give me a bit of wiggle room for awhile in terms of Soulmelds. Now I just have to look into what to replace Claws of the Wyrm with. At this level would it be better to use a normal weapon and Girallon arms in conjunction with a soulmeld that'd give me a bite attack or stick with Landshark Boots?

melinore

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 07:13:34 PM »
So now my feats will be at Level 1 Bonus Essentia, Leap of the Heavens, Shape Soulmeld(Therapeutic Mantle). At level 3 I'll pick up Expanded Soulmeld Capacity and pretty much always keep it on my Landshark Boots. That will leave me with being able to invest 3 points of Essentia in the Landshark Boots for a +3 atk and dmg which I hope will be sufficient at this level. At the end of that I still have 3 Essentia left over that I can move around my other Soulmelds. I plan on having Therapeutic Mantle and Wormtail Belt. This leaves me with another Soulmeld that can be shaped, but I'm unsure what to take. Any suggestions as to what would be a good Soulmeld for my current build?

I think in terms of armor I shall wear a Mwk Breasplate. This along with Dex and other stuff should give me a 20 AC. Not the greatest, but hopefully enough to keep me from being beaten to a pulp.

What about Skills? Any in particular I should take? I am doubtful I will need Concentration as I don't think I'll be meldshaping whilst in combat. Survival I think will be a must for this particular campaign. Most definitely will put some in Spot and maybe Listen. 

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 07:25:10 PM »
Don't spend a feat on Expanded Soulmeld Capacity unless the soulmeld you choose is one you will use throughout your career or unless retraining is allowed.  If you find yourself unshaping the selected soulmeld, then that feat is doing nothing until you reshape it.

The beauty of Incarnum is that you can select whatever soulmelds you feel appropriate for that time.  Don't worry too much about what you'll shape now (other than the feats).  Unless you plan on focusing around the Manticore belt, any build selections should be pretty well interchangeable.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

melinore

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 09:05:35 PM »
I think at this point I will be using Therapeutic Mantle throughout this character's career. I imagine we might level up maybe 2-4 times and I think at those levels that amount of healing per attack will still be fairly nice. It'll mean I can absorb that many more hits. I'm not overly worried about Soulmelds at the moment as I have my main ones picked out(Landshark Boots) and my secondary ones for healing(Therapeutic Mantle) and AC(Wormtail Belt). Just looking for suggestions. Still it is good to know that these options aren't critical. I suppose I'll just fill that last slot with something I find fun or hilarious. Hopefully something that is both. ^_^

Bleh I just realized Bonus Essentia requires Character Level 6. Need to find a new feat. Sad day for me. -_-
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 09:08:05 PM by melinore »

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 11:11:17 PM »
Don't spend a feat on Expanded Soulmeld Capacity unless the soulmeld you choose is one you will use throughout your career or unless retraining is allowed.  If you find yourself unshaping the selected soulmeld, then that feat is doing nothing until you reshape it.

You can change which soulmeld is affected by the feat each time you shape soulmelds, so it is a good investment in pretty much any incarnum user.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2010, 11:31:24 PM »
*looks at feat*  Huh, never noticed that bit before.  I my have to include it on my one incarnum character in the future.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2010, 01:56:53 AM »
I find VOP to be pretty good for totemists, their kind of like monks, only they can get flight and ranged attacks.
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2010, 02:03:09 AM »
And they can actually get abilities that have some semblance of synergy and interfere with magic item use.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2010, 06:25:06 AM »

Bleh I just realized Bonus Essentia requires Character Level 6. Need to find a new feat. Sad day for me. -_-
You're not the only one who missed that one :(

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2010, 08:07:41 AM »
shape soulmeld(dissolving spittle) + improved soulmeld capacity + 1 essentia:

3d6 acid damage ranged touch attack at level one. do it.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2010, 12:39:10 PM »

That is one of the better first level combos.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2010, 12:50:42 PM »

That is one of the better first level combos.

But you'd be better off being an Incarnate for that combo. The next best thing for a Totemist is the Lammassu Mantle or the Winter Wolf's soulmeld (AFB) for their breath weapons, then combine with Entangling Exhalation. Not as flexible as a DFA because the damage type can't switch without you being a Dragonborn, but it's still effective at the lower levels because energy resistance is uncommon there.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

melinore

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2010, 03:16:21 PM »
When you take an Incarnum feat is that bonus point of essentia you get only used to power the feat itself or can it be put into Soulmelds?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2010, 03:27:06 PM »
When you take an Incarnum feat is that bonus point of essentia you get only used to power the feat itself or can it be put into Soulmelds?
It can be put anywhere you want, it is just added to your essentia pool.