Author Topic: Need help saving this party  (Read 2679 times)

malaspina

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Braaaaaains
Need help saving this party
« on: April 28, 2010, 06:31:46 PM »
So guys.

I just started a new 3.5 campaign, 8th level, and I won't go into the details of how this happened but the party turned out to be like this:
- Factotum 8 gonna be chameleon, which is me, which is doing his job (skillmonkeying everything)
- Kobold-themed-homebrew scout 8
- Human Cleric of Pelor 8, who focuses on healing

First session we had to run away from two encounters, and we managed to win one through sheer ingenuity. We are largely unable to control the battlefield and to deal HP damage to stuff; also our characters are quite squishy (the cleric has Con 10).

A fourth guy is set to join next session, and he wants to play a savage progression Wight, which is basically your normal Wight from MM (there's a campaign reason why a Cleric of Pelor would work with a Wight). As much as spawn could help us, we just cannot go around killing paesants for it.

However, I might convince the guy to play something else, or else the DM might let me change characters, albeit not immediately.

So guys, we need help. What do you suggest? every sourcebook is allowed, apart from non-eberron campaign specific stuff (web is go-go).

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Re: Need help saving this party
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 06:46:32 PM »
If a Pelorspawn Healbot can party with a wight, he can party with a Changeling Chaos Wizard :D  In the making wizards spontaneous thread in the Handbooks section, there's a wicked changeling wizard build that would be perfect for this, and even fit thematically with what you originally wanted to do (which is be ultimately versatile).  Hell, if you can stand the cheese (and sneak CChamp and CoV in), any of my Warmage builds would also work.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 07:01:04 PM »
So guys.

I just started a new 3.5 campaign, 8th level, and I won't go into the details of how this happened but the party turned out to be like this:
- Factotum 8 gonna be chameleon, which is me, which is doing his job (skillmonkeying everything)

Get a wand of this and use one of your extra standard actions to ready an action until the Scout's turn, when you use the wand. Congrats, the scout has moved 10 ft and can full attack.

It's also useful for getting guys with 10 Con away from the bad guy and getting your undead friend (or whoever else is most tankish) closer.

When the Cleric reaches level 9, ask him to memorize some Flame Strike. That should help some with the damage.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 07:03:08 PM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 07:10:32 PM »
So guys.

Get a wand of this and use one of your extra standard actions to ready an action until the Scout's turn, when you use the wand. Congrats, the scout has moved 10 ft and can full attack.

It's also useful for getting guys with 10 Con away from the bad guy and getting your undead friend (or whoever else is most tankish) closer.

When the Cleric reaches level 9, ask him to memorize some Flame Strike. That should help some with the damage.

Skirmish was Errata'ed, Teleportation doesn't trigger it.

Instead, show him Travel Devotion from CC. He'll wet his pants. As for you, pick up a wand of Web, a few wands of Lesser Vigor, and a pimpcane to slap that Cleric with. And the other new player should be playing something easy to optimize, like a Beguiler. Even with Savage Progression, being an Undead means you have major weaknesses. A frontliner just will not be able to cover those weaknesses, and thus he will die.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 07:17:18 PM »
There is also something to be said for the War Weaver, which will make everyone's life a LOT easier.  Gotta love a class that can make a Monk a viable front-liner :P
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 08:01:35 PM »
I suggest you either teach your team-mates how to optimize, you teach your GM how to introduce, or
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 08:03:27 PM by NiteCyper »
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
  • "Seek Perfection of Character" - Gichin Funakoshi
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 08:19:47 PM »
If a Pelorspawn Healbot can party with a wight, he can party with a Changeling Chaos Wizard :D  In the making wizards spontaneous thread in the Handbooks section, there's a wicked changeling wizard build that would be perfect for this, and even fit thematically with what you originally wanted to do (which is be ultimately versatile).  Hell, if you can stand the cheese (and sneak CChamp and CoV in), any of my Warmage builds would also work.

Could you point out where that build was?  I was (well, am, thank goodness for tabbed browsing) looking through that and can't seem to find it, doubtless due to my tragic focal point blindness.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 08:37:56 PM »

Could you point out where that build was?  I was (well, am, thank goodness for tabbed browsing) looking through that and can't seem to find it, doubtless due to my tragic focal point blindness.

"How to Make Your Wizard a Spontaneous Caster" 2nd post, page 2 of handbooks section, build titled "Batman."  Below it is a UM SCM titled Darkwing as well.  Both by SorO_Lost :D
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
I think the party need some sort of arcane casting and a tank. A duskblade should fit the bill.

Aliment

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Illithid Zombies
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 10:17:01 PM »
I think the party need some sort of arcane casting and a tank. A duskblade should fit the bill.

Second this.  If your DM can maybe tone things down, you pick up a wand, and the scout gets Travel Devotion things will be fine.  And Duskblades are easy to optimize and do some serious damage, but need to take care since their not fighters.
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 03:22:43 AM »
A Trancer Hood seems like just the thing!
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 03:30:43 AM »
A Trancer Hood seems like just the thing!

My Neo-Trancer/Chrono-Legionaire Mk II could do well also.  Might get you slapped though :P
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

BrainCandy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 11:50:23 PM »
Everyone take leadership at 9 and get a wiz/incantrix10/shadowcraft mage for a cohort. Maybe toss in a Cleric5/Malconvoker5/Dweomerkeeper10 for good measure.