Author Topic: Help with a Favored Soul  (Read 5018 times)

senrath

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Help with a Favored Soul
« on: April 26, 2010, 03:44:36 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm back again requesting help with a character.  I'm playing a Human Favored Soul of Olidammara, and I need some help picking feats, items, and spells.  We're at level 10, have WBL, and stats were generated using 36 point buy.

These are the books I have access to:
[spoiler]Players Handbook
Dungeon Master's Guide
Unearthed Arcana
Complete Arcane
Complete Adventurer
Complete Warrior
Complete Divine
Complete Mage
Complete Scoundrel
Complete Champion
Races of Stone
Races of the Wild
Races of Destiny
Tome of Battle
Tome of Magic
Sandstorm
Storm Wrack
Frost Burn
Miniatures Handbook
Players Handbook II
Arms And Equipment Guide
[/spoiler]

Also, when it comes to items, I'd prefer not to be purchasing a large number of small items.

And when it comes to feats and spells, I'd like to keep at least some of them fitting in with the character, who is a compulsive gambler.

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Help with a Favored Soul
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 04:02:32 AM »
I think an underused strategy with the Favored Soul is to go into the Malconvoker prestige class.  Your high charisma helps with the prestige class and if you go this route you can totally ignore wisdom; thus reducing (or removing) MAD altogether. 

senrath

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 04:08:29 AM »
That's a possibility I hadn't considered before.  And I do like summoning.  I think I'll run with that, and use the thread "Mastering the Malconvoker" to help pick out items and such.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 04:08:48 AM »
gambler? get a magic item of "cheat".
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

senrath

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 04:17:09 AM »
Ah, yeah, I probably should've mentioned.  He holds gambling sacred, and absolutely hates cheaters.  So he's not going to be using Cheat.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 04:21:38 AM »
get the psionic subtype, and the inquisition feat for a +10 bonus on sense motive? relevant question: "Hey! did you just cheat?!?"

failing all that, luck feats might work.

senrath

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 04:23:02 AM »
I'd forgotten about the luck feats.

And what would be a simple way to attain the Psionic Subtype?  I'm afraid that messing around with subtypes isn't something I've ever really done before.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 04:32:24 AM »
I'd forgotten about the luck feats.

And what would be a simple way to attain the Psionic Subtype?  I'm afraid that messing around with subtypes isn't something I've ever really done before.
hidden talent works; that way, you have a psychic power. wild talent also works for those desperate for a method.

also, as far as awesome feats go, I am quite partial to shape soulmeld(planar ward). what better way to seem like a lucky fuck than having all charm, compulsion and possession just plain fail to work on you?  although, shape soulmeld(lucky dice) might be a bit more thematic.

senrath

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 04:39:41 AM »
Unfortunately, I don't have access to Magic of Incarnum, so no soulmelds for me.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 04:41:04 AM »
6 seconds on 4shared will definitely not get you that.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

senrath

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 04:43:21 AM »
Lemme rephrase what I mean by that.  I have the book.  My DM just doesn't want to use it.

Jopustopin

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 06:40:01 AM »
If you come up with a good favored soul/malconvoker build can you post it?  I find it strange that the "Mastering the Malconvoker" doesn't mention Favored Soul's at all.  It's not sub-optimal in anyway (other than the usual complaints of the sub-optimalness of Favored Soul's)  

senrath

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 01:50:14 PM »
Eh, all I'm doing is listed in "Mastering the Malconvoker."  The general advice in there works well for the Favored Soul.  Although being 2 levels behind on learning spells is a pain.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 03:50:55 PM »
Eh, all I'm doing is listed in "Mastering the Malconvoker."  The general advice in there works well for the Favored Soul.  Although being 2 levels behind on learning spells is a pain.
And wouldn't they have to invest a lot of their spells known into the whole Summon Monster chain? 

senrath

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 04:06:21 PM »
1 spell per level isn't exactly what I'd call "a lot", especially for spells as versatile as the Summon Monster chain.

I was having a hard time picking all my spells, anyway, so focusing on buffs and the Summon Monster chain helped me pick.

I also got permission from my DM to take Fatespinner as a divine spellcaster, so once I hit 12th level I'll be taking that.  I'm planning on doing this:
1-6: Favored Soul
7-11: Malconvoker
12-15: Fatespinner
16-20: Malconvoker

Jopustopin

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 04:09:48 PM »
3.0 Fate spinner "Your fate has been sealed"    :bigeye
3.5 Fate Spinner no cool quotes.

Existence. Cruel. Joke.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 11:34:23 PM »
if you can get knowledge (religion) as a class skill, maybe via the education feat, I'd go into contemplative for the luck domain.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 12:45:00 AM »
if you can get knowledge (religion) as a class skill, maybe via the education feat, I'd go into contemplative for the luck domain.
I prefer to use Knowledge Devotion which grants one knowledge skill of your choice.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 12:59:45 AM »
If you want to go the minion spam route with this guy, and are not opposed to losing one caster level for it, perhaps contemplate losing two, while gaining phenomenal cosmic power with War Weaver?  In fact, Doc Rock's own Algernon build uses FS as the base of his power, and is one of the most bad ass casters around (short of my TO threads...but that's TO, not CO).  Somewhere here also (I think it's called Revamping or Rebuilding Algernon) you can dig up his thread where we hashed out how to give his iconic War Weaver a boost, and the end result was a buffing monster that basically combined the Cheater of Mystra and Twice-Betrayer of Shar with the tapestry of War Weaver, and it wouldn't be too great a stretch to throw in Malconvoker to that mix.  Lastly, if you're interested in the synergy between the two and are willing to use a different base class, I have an amazing Warconvoker Wizard somewhere I could post up.  Gotta admit...only thing more bad ass than double fun summoning is double fun uber-buffed summoning.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

senrath

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 01:30:21 AM »
I've already lost 1 caster level, if I lose 2 that means I don't get 9th level spells until level 20.  Anyway, my build's pretty much set now.  Starting out as a Favored Soul 6/Malconvoker 4, them moving into a Favored Soul 6/Malconvoker 5/Fatespinner 4, and finally Favored Soul 7/Malconvoker 9/Fatespinner 4