Author Topic: Ooze Riding  (Read 18407 times)

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Ooze Riding
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2010, 05:07:01 PM »
Something I mentioned last week:

The amulet is in the ooze. The ooze is the pudding in the jacuzzi that the very naked Cosby lich is in. He gestures suggestively to you and whispers "let's boogie".

To stay on topic, we'll still need a little kobold or something riding the ooze.

... oh gawd and jebus almighty... riding the...muttermutterpuddinpop...

*scrubs mental image from brain*

could it be a living black tentacles?

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2010, 05:11:25 PM »

The amulet is in the ooze. The ooze is the pudding in the jacuzzi that the very naked Cosby lich is in. He gestures suggestively to you and whispers "let's boogie".

To stay on topic, we'll still need a little kobold or something riding the ooze.

why not?
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2010, 05:26:24 PM »
But seriously, such a monster would be fucking scary, especially if the constituent liches were mindlinked into a semi-collective.  You end up with a monster that is more than the sum of its parts.
In a game I was in once, we had a temporary ally that was 12 demiliches that assembled into a complete skeleton. Each demilich was a different part. They were all basically "mind"-linked. It was fucking scary.

That's awesome. Reminds me of Voltron, only on a whole 'nother power level.
Yeah... that game was tons of fun but quite crazy. It was really amazing how well the DM kept a handle on things. It eventually ended at level 30 when we caused the battle between two basically mindless overdeities (Azathoth and Nodens) to reach a stalemate, resulting in their mutual destruction and the recreation of the universe... which we then became the new gods of...  :twitch

Near the end of the campaign, we also fought Torm at one point, and several high level celestials he brought with him as backup.

That sounds amazing.  Then again, I'm amazed that my DM can keep up with the insane crap we pull and we're level 8. 

The multi-part ooze idea reminds me of the Glimmung from Philip K. Dick's "The Galactic Pot-Healer."
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2010, 05:29:05 PM »

why not?

Even's Black Tentacles of Invasive Entry as a living spell.  Useful against all but female Otaku.
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2010, 08:57:53 PM »
While we're at it, wrap up some Hideous Laughter into those tentacles. Just to rub it in, they're LAUGHING while it happens.

Hideous Laughter is targeted, isn't it. Irresistable Dance instead.

Dammit, needs to be an effect or area. Any ideas for something similarly embarrassing that actually works?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 09:02:32 PM by Bauglir »
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2010, 09:23:13 PM »
Living Disjunction is tons of fun.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2010, 09:30:43 PM »
man, hows that even work?

im gonna have to read up on living spell.

if they can take class levels, holy crap.

level drain / disjunction / mindblank / shapechange

The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2010, 12:43:53 AM »
Living Disjunction is tons of fun.

Oh hell yes, my party is gonna hate me in that epic campaign.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2010, 07:11:29 AM »
Stinking Cloud's basically a living fart.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2010, 05:38:52 PM »
a living true seeing in symbiosis with a living tongues.... see and tell.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Jelvoden

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2010, 11:04:37 PM »
In Dragon issue 304, there is an Awaken Ooze spell. It's an 8th level sorcerer/wizard spell with a 500XP cost, but you have to make a will saving throw against DC (10 + Ooze's HD) for it to work. The targeted Ooze rerolls all of its mental ability scores as 3d6, gains the ability to speak (known languages chosen from among the caster's), and loses its immunity to mind-effecting spells. The spell includes a built in pseudo-charm, where the Ooze will follow a command if you beat it in an opposed charisma check. If you fail the charisma check or don't attempt it, the ooze is merely indifferent to you.

Actually casting it could be trouble though, as it has a one-hour casting time and a range of touch.
"Okay, got your character sheets all filled out? Good. Now each of you pass your sheets to the person to your left, who will be playing whatever you rolled. Good luck." - Anonymous

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2010, 11:07:27 PM »
who thought that was a good idea.. im sure pretty much every ooze has a habit of heating you if you touch it...

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2010, 11:17:06 PM »
You can "hold the charge' for Touch spells, you know.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Jelvoden

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2010, 11:34:48 PM »
Yeah, but you'd still have to keep the ooze (more or less) under control throughout the casting. Can't have it go running off or trying to eat you as you prepare.
"Okay, got your character sheets all filled out? Good. Now each of you pass your sheets to the person to your left, who will be playing whatever you rolled. Good luck." - Anonymous

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2010, 11:52:47 PM »
Wall of Stone to contain it and leave 5 ft of room to the ceilng (most oozes live indoors) and Fly to stand on top of the wall.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2010, 01:26:43 AM »
or just give it some food, get some acid resistance, or use reach spell on it.

and don't forget to maximize and empower the spell either.
Never game alone again!

Shiva

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2010, 03:56:57 AM »
Better yet on containing the ooze for the spell, the ooze puppet spell from the SpC.

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2010, 07:20:27 PM »
In Dragon issue 304, there is an Awaken Ooze spell. It's an 8th level sorcerer/wizard spell with a 500XP cost, but you have to make a will saving throw against DC (10 + Ooze's HD) for it to work. The targeted Ooze rerolls all of its mental ability scores as 3d6, gains the ability to speak (known languages chosen from among the caster's), and loses its immunity to mind-effecting spells. The spell includes a built in pseudo-charm, where the Ooze will follow a command if you beat it in an opposed charisma check. If you fail the charisma check or don't attempt it, the ooze is merely indifferent to you.

Actually casting it could be trouble though, as it has a one-hour casting time and a range of touch.

I like the idea of using one of these awakened oozes as an improved familiar you can ride in with the OP mentioned Amulet of Ooze Riding.
~Robert Heinlein

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2010, 05:29:11 PM »
can you improved familiar a creature who is likely smarter and wiser than you? assuming one empowered and maximized the stats rolls on the awaken spell.
Never game alone again!

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2010, 03:31:38 PM »
can you improved familiar a creature who is likely smarter and wiser than you? assuming one empowered and maximized the stats rolls on the awaken spell.

RAW, I don't see why not.  Though it would probably be something akin to Draconic Familiar...
~Robert Heinlein