Author Topic: Gestalt Duskblade/What?  (Read 4059 times)

someweirdguy

• Monkey bussiness
Gestalt Duskblade/What?
« on: April 19, 2010, 02:44:27 AM »
So, here's the deal, my group is starting up a new game at ECL 4 and I'd really like to play a Duskblade. We play Gestalt, and in the discussion, I kind of drew the Skill/Trap Monkey type role.

I'm now caught between two ideas. Duskblade/Spellthief and Duskblade/Beguiler

Beguiler would have a better synergy with both classes being Intelligence based. Spellthief on the other hand would actually give me some Sneak attack to go with my Duskblade attacks. Additionally, we'll be doing a Planescape campaign, so the ability to steal Spell Resistance, Energy Resistance, and Spell-Like Abilities from enemies could prove extremely powerful.

Most books are fair game, with only the Races series, ToB, ToM, and Incarnum being flat out. Dragon is pretty questionable in the whole thing, but I could probably get one or two feats approved.

I'm just wanting general suggestions as to what would be more viable for a character Spellthief or Beguiler.

In the spoiler are some more specifics for anyone wanting more details to suggest a build or something of that sort.
[spoiler]We roll stats, and my dice were on fire (18, 17, 16, 14, 12, 11), so stat wise I'm not really hurting.

Race wise, I'm leaning towards something basic and un Level Adjusted. If you have an awesome idea for a race though, I'm open to suggestions. If a race is relatively low powered for its LA, we might lower it for my group (ie. Hobgoblins are +0 and Drow are only +1 for us) Additionally, we play LA as being on both sides of a Gestalt, and if something has Racial HD, that is one side, while the race's favored class goes on the other side of the Gestalt (so Bugbears get humanoid/rogue for their first three levels).[/spoiler]

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Gestalt Duskblade/What?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 02:49:07 AM »
Duskblade/Beguiler, it really is the better option.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 02:49:47 AM »
Generally, Spellthief is a lot more viable when gestalted with Factotum, as you can steal your own SLAs ad infinitum.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 03:01:05 AM »
Generally, Spellthief is a lot more viable when gestalted with Factotum, as you can steal your own SLAs ad infinitum.
this sounds all kinds of awesome.

although, I once made a gestalt build that abused the shit out of int. here it is, dredged up for you:

Code: [Select]
assuming 2 flaws:

lvl1 factotum1 // swash1 arcane stunt; able learner; FoI; FoI; prof(quickrazor);
lvl2 factotum // swash2
lvl3 factotum // swash3 FoI;
lvl4 factotum // wiz1 +1 int; abrupt jaunt Ffeat variant(imp init);
lvl5 factotum // human paragon1
lvl6 factotum // monk1 kung-fu genius
lvl7 factotum // human paragon2 FoI;
lvl8 factotum // human paragon3 +3 int;
lvl9 factotum // barbarian1 FoI; cc lion totem whirling frenzy;
lvl10 factotum // warblade1
lvl11 factotum // chameleon1
lvl12 factotum // chameleon2 +1 int; FoI;
lvl13 factotum // chameleon3
lvl14 factotum // chameleon4
lvl15 factotum // chameleon5 FoI;
lvl16 factotum // chameleon6 +1 int;
lvl17 factotum // chameleon7
lvl18 factotum // chameleon8 FoI;
lvl19 factotum // chameleon9
lvl20 factotum20 // chameleon10 +1 int;

int score works out to(at level 20):
18 starting int + 6(item)+5(tome)+5(lvls)+2(paragon)+6(aptitude focus) = 42 int (+16 int mod)

int added to:
reflex saves, AC(twice), initative, melee damage, str and dex checks and skill checks, and can be inspired to be added to just about anything else.

spellcasting:
3rd cl wiz, 20th factotum Sp, 6th lvl spells for both arcane and divine.

the level of wizard is for both abrupt jaunt(int based, had to add it.  :D ) and so that the +spellcasting of human paragon isn't wasted. the obligatory level of pouncebarian is, well, obligatory.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 07:06:04 AM »
When i saw the topic title, it screamed "FACTOTUM" to me.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 10:37:10 AM »
When i saw the topic title, it screamed "FACTOTUM" to me.
Seconded.

With Factotum you can do more than one channel per round from level 8, and you're definitely a good skillmonkey :). While you won't get a ton more spells to channel, the raw power of this combination is really quite evident. Especially the possibility to ignore SR eventually can make this a killer combo.

What does your DM say about the Extra Spell feat? Does it require spells on your list or is off list fine?

That all being said, a Duskblade/Beguiler could be very fun, although there is less synergy between the clases. The Beguiler might have a few nice spells you could channel.

Of course, if you seriously want the MOST power, then Duskblade/Wizard (and you can afford to be a generalist here) with some handy prestige classes for the wizard is really THE most world-destroying thing you can do. A duskblade/psion can be similarly bad, and rape the action economy a bit more, at least if you don't got incantatrix (the incantatrix might still win with multiple persisted buffs, etc.)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 01:25:10 PM by Brainpiercing »

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 01:08:31 PM »
[spoiler]
this sounds all kinds of awesome.

although, I once made a gestalt build that abused the shit out of int. here it is, dredged up for you:

Code: [Select]
assuming 2 flaws:

lvl1 factotum1 // swash1 arcane stunt; able learner; FoI; FoI; prof(quickrazor);
lvl2 factotum // swash2
lvl3 factotum // swash3 FoI;
lvl4 factotum // wiz1 +1 int; abrupt jaunt Ffeat variant(imp init);
lvl5 factotum // human paragon1
lvl6 factotum // monk1 kung-fu genius
lvl7 factotum // human paragon2 FoI;
lvl8 factotum // human paragon3 +3 int;
lvl9 factotum // barbarian1 FoI; cc lion totem whirling frenzy;
lvl10 factotum // warblade1
lvl11 factotum // chameleon1
lvl12 factotum // chameleon2 +1 int; FoI;
lvl13 factotum // chameleon3
lvl14 factotum // chameleon4
lvl15 factotum // chameleon5 FoI;
lvl16 factotum // chameleon6 +1 int;
lvl17 factotum // chameleon7
lvl18 factotum // chameleon8 FoI;
lvl19 factotum // chameleon9
lvl20 factotum20 // chameleon10 +1 int;

int score works out to(at level 20):
18 starting int + 6(item)+5(tome)+5(lvls)+2(paragon)+6(aptitude focus) = 42 int (+16 int mod)

int added to:
reflex saves, AC(twice), initative, melee damage, str and dex checks and skill checks, and can be inspired to be added to just about anything else.

spellcasting:
3rd cl wiz, 20th factotum Sp, 6th lvl spells for both arcane and divine.

the level of wizard is for both abrupt jaunt(int based, had to add it.  :D ) and so that the +spellcasting of human paragon isn't wasted. the obligatory level of pouncebarian is, well, obligatory. [/spoiler]
Nice build, although I would replace on of those first level feats with Academic priest to make all of your casting Int Based.

Also Factotum is a good choice for the original post due to nice int synergy and action economy breakage.