Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Ragnarok Edition  (Read 158489 times)

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Ragnarok Edition
« Reply #580 on: May 01, 2010, 05:07:59 PM »
Q124 Remind me again of the LA +0 Outsiders out there? Is there a list somewhere?
I link to the list of +0 races in my races thread:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4886.0

Q 126: Is there anyway to lower a spell's range to touch?
lower? perhaps you are trying to change a spell's range to touch, e.g., make fireball a touch spell so that you can channel it as a duskblade? I recall this is pretty hard. Ocular spell changes a spell into ranged touch, but that does not really help much

Q 132 I just red about Bardic knack and I was wandering could it be allowed (sorry for the spelling. haven't used that word in years) on a cloistered cleric RAW?
RAW, hardly. Bardic knack is an ACF for bards, replacing bardic knowledge. Cloistered clerics are not bards and they don't have a class feature called "bardic knowledge".

Q 129 Is there a list somewhere of what weapon turns into what when using the Size ability? I know it makes it bigger or smaller, but what weapons do they become? Like, a +1 sizing dagger is a longsword? A shortsword? A rapier? A +1 rapier turns into what? A shortsword? I know it doesn't actually change them into different weapons per se, but I'm looking for more of what it counts as for damage, and crit modifier, etc.
Just changes weapon size now, since 3.5 changed the weapon/size equivalence rules (one of the changes I dislike).
DMG, p. 27, Variant: Weapon Equivalencies

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #581 on: May 01, 2010, 05:36:41 PM »
Q 126: Is there anyway to lower a spell's range to touch?
Lower? perhaps you are trying to change a spell's range to touch, e.g., make fireball a touch spell so that you can channel it as a duskblade? I recall this is pretty hard. Ocular spell changes a spell into ranged touch, but that does not really help much.
Indeed changing it to touch, but for Smiting Spell to be able to channel a non-area of effect spell into a crossbow sniper build.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #582 on: May 01, 2010, 06:00:13 PM »
Q 129 Is there a list somewhere of what weapon turns into what when using the Size ability? I know it makes it bigger or smaller, but what weapons do they become? Like, a +1 sizing dagger is a longsword? A shortsword? A rapier? A +1 rapier turns into what? A shortsword? I know it doesn't actually change them into different weapons per se, but I'm looking for more of what it counts as for damage, and crit modifier, etc.
Something about that doesn't seem right. I mean "Medium Weapon" short short's "Small weapon" equivalency is a longsword? How? For some reason I'm unable to read that chart properly, I think.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #583 on: May 01, 2010, 06:03:50 PM »
A126: The only thing I know of is the hold ray ability of the enlightened fist.  That only works with rays, but you can combine it with ocular spell or spellwarp. 

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #584 on: May 01, 2010, 06:22:59 PM »
A126: The only thing I know of is the hold ray ability of the enlightened fist.  That only works with rays, but you can combine it with ocular spell or spellwarp. 
I considered it, but that would require a 7 level comitment to the to the PrC, unless there is a faster way to aquire that PrC.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #585 on: May 01, 2010, 06:24:31 PM »
Something about that doesn't seem right. I mean "Medium Weapon" short short's "Small weapon" equivalency is a longsword? How? For some reason I'm unable to read that chart properly, I think.
What a halfling considers to be a longsword a human would consider to be a short sword.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

mans0011

• Curious George
  • Too much Aizen Hate to go around....
« Reply #586 on: May 01, 2010, 07:11:57 PM »
Q133

Under the Spells Heart of Air, Earth, Fire and Water (Complete Mage, starting pg 106), they refer to Light Fortification if you have 2 or more of these spells active.

What is light fortification and where do I find it...?
OOC-well for that matter he could just ride on my sword, that's about 15' ;)
OOC - That's what SHE said!  But, otherwise, that works for me, if you guys are willing.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #587 on: May 01, 2010, 07:14:06 PM »
Q133

Under the Spells Heart of Air, Earth, Fire and Water (Complete Mage, starting pg 106), they refer to Light Fortification if you have 2 or more of these spells active.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#fortification
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

mans0011

• Curious George
  • Too much Aizen Hate to go around....
« Reply #588 on: May 01, 2010, 07:16:33 PM »
Q133

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#fortification

Much <3, Trip
OOC-well for that matter he could just ride on my sword, that's about 15' ;)
OOC - That's what SHE said!  But, otherwise, that works for me, if you guys are willing.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #589 on: May 01, 2010, 07:58:22 PM »
ug I totally asked the wrong question last time (and even had the previous answer in front of me...  :rollseyes)

Q134: What's the best way to deliver sneak attack from very far range? Spells are allowed.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #590 on: May 01, 2010, 08:16:55 PM »
ug I totally asked the wrong question last time (and even had the previous answer in front of me...  :rollseyes)

Q134: What's the best way to deliver sneak attack from very far range? Spells are allowed.

The spell mentioned above works, but a method I like more is using some method of Divination to remotely view the target, such as Chain of Eyes and striking from afar.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #591 on: May 01, 2010, 08:31:34 PM »
Q 135 By RAW, are you automatically given the "improved" versions of Uncanny Dodge and Evasion if you take two classes with those abilities, or are you stuck with the lesser one unless it specifically states that you are allowed to upgrade to the next one? Or do you have to house rule it/have a very lenient DM to get it?

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #592 on: May 01, 2010, 08:45:12 PM »
Q 135 By RAW, are you automatically given the "improved" versions of Uncanny Dodge and Evasion if you take two classes with those abilities, or are you stuck with the lesser one unless it specifically states that you are allowed to upgrade to the next one? Or do you have to house rule it/have a very lenient DM to get it?

A135
RAW, you're stuck with it, I believe. Evasion doesn't ever actually do that, though, IIRC. I could be wrong.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #593 on: May 01, 2010, 08:48:25 PM »
A135
RAW, you're stuck with it, I believe. Evasion doesn't ever actually do that, though, IIRC. I could be wrong.
So the Improved Evasion remains something that only a rogue can get through means of their secrets. And you're stuck with Uncanny Dodge unless it specifies "If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead."

EDIT: I see that the Shadow Dancer gets it at 10th level.

Q 136 What happens after you've already gotten Improved Uncanny Dodge, and another class gives you Uncanny and Improved Canny Dodge? Like Rogue 7/Shadow Dancer 5.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 08:58:26 PM by kevin_video »

Freshums

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #594 on: May 01, 2010, 09:01:27 PM »
A135
So the Improved Evasion remains something that only a rogue can get through means of their secrets. And you're stuck with Uncanny Dodge unless it specifies "If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead."

Q 136 What happens after you've already gotten Improved Uncanny Dodge, and another class gives you Uncanny and Improved Canny Dodge? Like Rogue 7/Shadow Dancer 5.

Pray that you remembered to take an ACF in its place.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #595 on: May 01, 2010, 09:02:20 PM »
Hmm. I like that idea. :D

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #596 on: May 01, 2010, 09:06:08 PM »
A135

:lol

it just means that levels in that class stack for determining what level the rogue needs to be in order to SA you.

btw -- there is one exception to evasions from different classes not stacking -- master thrower (explicitly states it does improve ; but like I said, this is the exception).

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #597 on: May 01, 2010, 09:11:50 PM »
it just means that levels in that class stack for determining what level the rogue needs to be in order to SA you.

btw -- there is one exception to evasions from different classes not stacking -- master thrower (explicitly states it does improve ; but like I said, this is the exception).
Yeah, but if the levels already stack due to it having uncanny dodge and improved uncanny dodge, gaining it a third or fourth time doesn't seem like it'd be worth it for the sake of level stacking.

Figured there'd be an exception somewhere. And of course it has to be that one. However, if you had a lenient enough DM (I know I've done it before when I was still really green as a DM and used a system that allowed that anyways), it doesn't matter.

Q 137 Where can I find an extensive worthwhile list of ACF for Evasion and Uncanny Dodge/Improved Uncanny Dodge? I guess I should add in better because the Wizard's forum isn't exactly helping too much after I Googled the solution. Even just suggestions on that would be welcome.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #598 on: May 01, 2010, 09:19:27 PM »
A 136: Uncanny Dodge almost always stacks, but you have to check the specific wording each time you see it. On the opposite end, Evasion almost never stacks unless explicitly mentioned. I think there's even a rare occasion where you can pick up improved evasion without regular evasion first. Check my lists of stuff.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Freshums

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #599 on: May 01, 2010, 09:22:54 PM »

Yeah, but if the levels already stack due to it having uncanny dodge and improved uncanny dodge, gaining it a third or fourth time doesn't seem like it'd be worth it for the sake of level stacking.

Figured there'd be an exception somewhere. And of course it has to be that one. However, if you had a lenient enough DM (I know I've done it before when I was still really green as a DM and used a system that allowed that anyways), it doesn't matter.

Q 137 Where can I find an extensive worthwhile list of ACF for Evasion and Uncanny Dodge/Improved Uncanny Dodge? I guess I should add in better because the Wizard's forum isn't exactly helping too much after I Googled the solution. Even just suggestions on that would be welcome.
A 137

It'd help if we knew which classes you were getting alternate features for.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872054/Alternative_Class_Features_III

Spell Reflection (CM, p 35) can be taken by anybody that gets Evasion.
I probably wouldn't recommend it over evasion, but if you've already got it then what's to lose.

Uncanny Bravery (DrM, p 14) Gain immunity to Draconic Presence and resist fear.
Hey! Not immunity, you can still go Craven if you want.