Author Topic: Sci-fi/Fantasy game-Banning Core Experiment  (Read 2964 times)

Hand_of_Vecna

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Sci-fi/Fantasy game-Banning Core Experiment
« on: May 14, 2010, 12:10:32 AM »

weenog

• Grape ape
Re: Sci-fi/Fantasy game-Banning Core Experiment
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 12:12:25 AM »
Banning core entirely?  Good luck functioning with no skills, and even most of your feats unavailable due to missing prerequisites.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 12:23:54 AM »
If you ban core spells, the game can still function.  Ban feats, skills, and items, and everyone in your world will be naked.  Maybe.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 12:26:20 AM »
Everyone in the world naked, you say?  This sounds like a job for a custom researched partial Enlarge Person spell.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 12:39:26 AM »
You should probably keep weapon finesse around.  Alternately, make the ability to use dex with appropriate weapons automatic. 

I'm sure there are enough races outside core. 

The Dungeon Master's guide is core.  If you ban magic items, it significantly alters game balance. 

Banning normal weapons might be alright if you add in sci-fi weapons. 

You will probably need to rework some prerequisites. 

As weenog said, banning skills would be a big issue. 

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 12:42:59 AM »
Depends. Are you barring anything that refers back to core abilities, like Psionic Invisibility?

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 01:03:08 AM »
Everyone in the world naked, you say?  This sounds like a job for a custom researched partial Enlarge Person spell.

No such luck.  Frostburn lists a fur clothing and winter fullcloth and Sandstorm lists desert outfit, heatsuit outfit, and hydration suit. 

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 01:10:14 AM »

No such luck.  Frostburn lists a fur clothing and winter fullcloth and Sandstorm lists desert outfit, heatsuit outfit, and hydration suit. 

Both of which assume climate extremes. :P

deuxhero

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 01:46:18 AM »
I'd keep feats (if only because every other feat/PRC/whatever out of core uses them) mundane item and basic magic items (+x equipment, boosts to ability scores and saves, ect) and skills. Banning classes and non-standard magic items could be intresting, as would all but the most basic core spells (obviously heals, animal buffs, the stuff on the spell lists of the focused casters should stay). Otherwise the idea may be interesting.

Hand_of_Vecna

• Email
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 04:22:19 AM »
I of course meant banning core classes and spells are a given as it is a 0 magic setting.

I'm debating what psionics to exclude (teleport spells are a given).

Making finesse weapons have a dex to hit option is a good idea.

I'm considering banning core feats because, they are prereqs to many other feats. The idea was to abolish the popular and often broken feat intensive builds. IMO banning Power Attack is better than banning Shocktrooper because without Shocktrooper Power Attack is a shite feat but, someone may still want to take it. Banning PA kills two birds with one stone. The only question for me is whether ToB characters and PsiWarriors need typical CO feat selections to hang with slightly nerfed psychics.

Obviously I'm not talking about banning the skills any more than I'm talking about banning the rules. If I did I'd just be running Amber with characters inspired by non core fluff.

Banning Core (rather than just magic, which my world demands) is largely an experiment based on testing the basic CO assumption that Core is the worst balanced portion of 3.5 and that eliminating it would create a much smoother more balanced game.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 04:28:56 AM by Hand_of_Vecna »

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 04:25:57 AM »
I wouldn't exclude any psionics unless they don't mesh well with your campaign (i.e. long range teleporting, Genesis, what have you).

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 04:46:52 AM »

You figure they'd be too uncomfortable to wear?  I've located a few more in Races of Stone: earthsilk jersey, gnome battle cloak, and gnome twist cloth.  Of course, if 3.0 material is allowed, Arms and Equipment Guide has a bunch of clothes. 

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 04:54:23 AM »
Factotum with FoI for every feat?
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Arz

• Email
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 12:29:20 PM »
If you ban core and are pushing skills in a sci-fi game why aren't you looking at another system altogether? Traveler was an fav of mine.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 12:52:55 PM »
have you ever thought of D20 Modern .... found here:

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/modern/smack/srdhome.html

everything you need .... keeping the skills and feats needed to allow gameplay

:D

Hand_of_Vecna

• Email
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 02:38:47 PM »
Hey, i didn't realize d20 modern core had an SRD. I'm bookmarking that for later. The only thing keeping me from using d20 Mod is that i wanted near full powered psionics rather than the psionics is a PrC that's easy to qualify for at lvl 4. That and that the world i have in my head feels more like D&D with sci-fi trappings to me.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 06:20:33 PM »
So, what exactly are you banning from Core? Skills? Bonus spells? I think the most balanced option would be banning the classes and spells alone - the rest should be mostly okay.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 06:23:43 PM »

There's always the gimp suit. BoEF.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.