Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Ragnarok Edition  (Read 157345 times)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Ask a Simple Question: Ragnarok Edition
« on: April 18, 2010, 09:38:16 PM »

Because Norse bikini babes are hot, and completely historically inaccurate.

Q 1: A Draegloth has 4 arms, but only two of those arms have claw attacks.  If a Draegloth had a template that granted two claw attacks as part of the template, would it get 4 claw attacks, or would it only get the original 2 (but use the better of the two damages)?  Does it make a difference if the template specifies that the base creature gains two claw attacks, but does or doesn't specify to use the better of the two damages if the base creature already has claw attacks?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Ragnarok Edition
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:42:55 PM »
Q 2: How does that qualify for a bikini, and how does one go about acquiring said bikini + girl combo?

Q 3: Assuming the girl is a Thor-girl equivalent, do you suppose the artist actually knows his mythology in that Thor has red hair, or do you think he just likes drawing buxom redheads?
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 09:47:12 PM »
Q 3: Assuming the girl is a Thor-girl equivalent, do you suppose the artist actually knows his mythology in that Thor has red hair, or do you think he just likes drawing buxom redheads?
A3

I'm pretty sure it's the latter.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 09:48:49 PM »
Q 2: How does that qualify for a bikini, and how does one go about acquiring said bikini + girl combo?
Flash the cash, that's how...

Maybe he's like me and just has a thing for redheads... (so sad my wife isn't a redhead....)
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 10:16:25 PM »
Q4: If your caster level increases while you are casting a spell, does the spell use your original or your new caster level?

Example: Bob the level 15 Cleric has no caster level boosts, but has cast Consumptive Field.  In combat, he decides to cast a Summon Monster spell.  While he is casting it, his Rogue buddy stabs some poor sap into the negatives, who then fails the Fort save vs. Consumptive Field.  Does the resulting Summon Monster spell have a caster level of 15 or 16?
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 10:17:37 PM »
Because Norse bikini babes are hot, and completely historically inaccurate.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:20:42 PM by Kuroimaken »
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 10:20:30 PM »
Q4: If your caster level increases while you are casting a spell, does the spell use your original or your new caster level?

Example: Bob the level 15 Cleric has no caster level boosts, but has cast Consumptive Field.  In combat, he decides to cast a Summon Monster spell.  While he is casting it, his Rogue buddy stabs some poor sap into the negatives, who then fails the Fort save vs. Consumptive Field.  Does the resulting Summon Monster spell have a caster level of 15 or 16?

15, I think.  After all, metamagic effects are applied before you start casting, so it seems like that sort of effect should be determined at the beginning; otherwise there could be issues with extending and round/level spells.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 10:30:35 PM »
Q 5: The Dekanter Goblins from Monsters of Faerun are listed as Monstrous Humanoid (goblinoid).  In the web enhancement for Player's Guide to Faerun they are updated to type Humanoid (goblinoid).  Were they errata'd prior to the 3.5 update?  What type are they listed as on their Miniatures stat card (can't find mine after the move....)?

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 11:06:59 PM »
A 5: The web enhancement is dated March 2004, which is after 3.5 came out.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 11:17:48 PM »
A 5: The web enhancement is dated March 2004, which is after 3.5 came out.
Right, is that the first time they were errata'd?  Have they always been Humanoids in 3.5?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 12:09:49 AM »

15, I think.  After all, metamagic effects are applied before you start casting, so it seems like that sort of effect should be determined at the beginning; otherwise there could be issues with extending and round/level spells.
There are plenty of times when metamagic is applied at casting, though, just like caster level is (spontaneous casting, metamagic rods, etc.).  My question is if the caster level is determined at the beginning or the end of casting, really.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 12:15:06 AM »
It doesn't make any real sense to check for caster level at any time other than the beginning. If you cast Body Outside Body and you're 1 CL short of another clone, and then someone chucks an orange ioun stone at your head, another clone shouldn't pop into existence. You already made the clones, you  can't retroactively make more.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 12:16:31 AM »
It doesn't make any real sense to check for caster level at any time other than the beginning. If you cast Body Outside Body and you're 1 CL short of another clone, and then someone chucks an orange ioun stone at your head, another clone shouldn't pop into existence. You already made the clones, you  can't retroactively make more.
That's different. They're not talking about during the duration. They're talking about during casting.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 12:27:58 AM »
That's different. They're not talking about during the duration. They're talking about during casting.
Indeed.  Once a spell is cast, it's cast.  Caster level and the like are locked in.  My example with the question was a caster level boost occouring (from Consumptive Field) while the cleric was in the middle of casting a spell (1 round casting time).

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 12:32:40 AM »
I would personally rule that spells check casterlevel at the moment the spell is released, IE at the end of the casting time.

but, then, that's just my interpretation which has no RAW backing.  :D
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 12:53:59 AM »
I would personally rule that spells check casterlevel at the moment the spell is released, IE at the end of the casting time.

That would also coincide with summoning spells targeting the placement of the summoned creature at the end of casting, would it not?

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 12:58:38 AM »

That would also coincide with summoning spells targeting the placement of the summoned creature at the end of casting, would it not?
why yes, yes it does; my interpretation now has the power of logic behind it!  :clap
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 01:09:12 AM »

There are plenty of times when metamagic is applied at casting, though, just like caster level is (spontaneous casting, metamagic rods, etc.).  My question is if the caster level is determined at the beginning or the end of casting, really.
Exactly, at the beginning.  Otherwise quicken wouldn't work, since it'd be applied at the end of the full round action.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 01:10:12 AM »
Indeed.  Once a spell is cast, it's cast.  Caster level and the like are locked in.  My example with the question was a caster level boost occouring (from Consumptive Field) while the cleric was in the middle of casting a spell (1 round casting time).

Ah! My apologies; I thought you meant that after you summoned a monster, if your CL increased, did the duration increase accordingly.
Carry on.

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 01:21:43 AM »

A 2: Clearly standard female leather at 2 AC. Just ask your local Maiden of Pain.