Author Topic: Factotum Help  (Read 8288 times)

Dark5ide

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Factotum Help
« on: April 09, 2010, 02:53:58 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm a bit new to these boards, but have been learning a lot, thanks to you guys.

I wanted to ask if you could help my character out a bit. He's mostly done, I just need feat suggestions and what to get equipment-wise

You can view the sheet here:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=194427

4th level
All books published by Wizards allowed
Kalamar Campaign

5400gp Starting with 20% discount on weapons, not including enchants etc.

Party contains: Barbarian, Warblade/Favored Soul, Wizard, and a Shaman

A game plan to 20 is not necessary, but any suggestions on what to take in the future would certainly be appreciated!

Thank you for any and all help!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 02:58:45 PM by Dark5ide »

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
Re: Factotum Help
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 03:04:42 PM »
Be sure to take Font of Inspiration a lot. Iajutsu Focus also works insanely well for a Factotum, so why not try for a Factotum 8 / Iajutsu Master 5? Another obvious option is the Chameleon PrC, again after Chameleon 8 (or maybe 5...).
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Tonymitsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 03:18:49 PM »
What's your goal for the character?

It's hard to tell based on your skill selection.

You have social stuff like Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate (???), and Sense motive and a 15 charisma.  Are you trying to be the party face?
Cause that's fine, but...

You have half ranks in Search, Disable Device, and less in Open Lock, and there's no one else in your party with Trapfinding.  If you are the party skill-monkey you need to keep those things maxed.
Which is also fine if you want to do that, but...

You have a couple ranks in Iaijutsu Focus, and Collector of Stories, which is good for a Knowledge Devotion/glass cannon-ish role.  But you're lacking in the knowledges you picked, which will make it much harder to benefit from Knowledge Devotion.  Iaijutsu focus is also something you should either max or leave alone.  You also have nothing in Hide/Move Silently which will make this role difficult.

And you've got UMD in there, which is never a bad thing, but what's your general reason for it?  You will already get some spellcasting via Arcane Dilettante.

You don't have to stat everything out but having at least some general idea of what you want to do would help.

P.S.:  Your skill sheet doesn't seem to take Brains over Brawn into account.  You get your Intelligence bonus on all Strength and Dexterity related skill checks and ability checks.

Akkristor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 03:35:45 PM »
My favorite Factotum build so far is the Factotum Archer, but that doesnt really come into play until about 9th level when you get Manyshot.

That being said, since all 3.5 1st party books are allowed, does that also mean flaws?

I suggest putting at least one point into the other knowledges that can be used with Knowledge Devotion, and taking that as your third level feat.
Arcana
Dungeoneering
Local
Nature
Religion
The Planes

Knowledge Nobility, I would only put one rank in, at MOST 5 for the synergy bonus to Diplomacy, and only if you are really wanting to be the party face/social person.

If you are going for a melee character, and you are going to be wearing light or no armor, put ranks in Tumble.

As for feats, personally I prefer to go the Manyshot path :  Rapid shot, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Manyshot
For a Human, this gives a feat progression like:

H: Rapid Shot
1: Point Blank shot
3: Knowledge Devotion
6: Precise Shot
9: Manyshot

If you can get a flaw, switch Rapid shot to a Flaw feat, so if you polymorph or whatever to another race, you don't the benefits of Manyshot.
If you decide to go this route, switch your Charisma and Dexterity.

Use Magic Device is a must.  Even though a Factotum can cast spells, they technically have no spell list, making them unable to use most Spell Trigger and Spell Completion items without a UMD check.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 05:32:17 PM »
I will recommend you go with a factotum/chameleon build. For that given your opening stats you would have to go with able learner and academic priest. This gives you amazing spellcasting from any list, decent skills, and lost of flexibility. You should also take font of inspiration 3-4 times. Other good feats include darkstalker (LoM) and keen intellect (OA 3.5 update).

Dark5ide

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 06:34:39 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the quick help!

A few things:

- My character is a young noble teen running off from his rich parents who would keep him cooped up, thus the nobility
- Flaws are allowed, though i'm not sure as to which ones to take... (This makes total feats at this current point: 5)
- I am supposed to be the skill-monkey in the group, finding traps and what not. What do you suggest I dump skill-wise to add on to help me with that?
- I was following mostly the Factotum Handbook in terms of what skills to take, so I'm trusting in that. It's what told me to max UMD
- I'm intending to go the factotum/chameleon route, though again, I am new to the whole factotum business so suggestions would help me
- Any equipment suggestions would also be helpful, as I am at a loss, more or less.
- Also, my GM ruled that I do not need to take Able Learner for Chameleon

Thanks a lot!

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 06:40:27 PM »
Will you still gain the benifits of able learner? Without it Chameleons have a terrible skill list. Good equipment includes wands of spells that do not allow a save like the lesser orb spells or ray of enfeeblement, skill boosting items, healing belt, rod of ropes, anything from this list. Good flaws to take are generally murky eyed and vulnerable as their drawbacks are situational or minimal respectively.

Dark5ide

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 06:57:21 PM »
Yes, the house rule is you retain the skills you could use in your previous classes

That list is awesome! I'll definitely go through it in more detail later.

Any suggestions for weapons/armor and such?

I'm really warming up to the bow idea, though I like poison use too (Though that doesn't really come into play till 6th/8th anyway, and does seem a bit complicated when dealing with poisons and such...)

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 07:03:50 PM »
Hey, can't you combine the two? Shoot arrows coated in poison?
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 07:07:07 PM »
Will you still gain the benifits of able learner?
Why wouldn't you?  Having had a class skill at any point raises the max ranks to Level +3, and able learner removes the cross-class rank penalty.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 07:11:04 PM »
Will you still gain the benifits of able learner?
Why wouldn't you?  Having had a class skill at any point raises the max ranks to Level +3, and able learner removes the cross-class rank penalty.
Because without that benefit a factotum/chameleon would  have to pay double skill for all his good skills. But due to the nature of the houserule this is not an issue. Also you could use your chameleon spells to use minor creation to create as much poison as you need, just fill your quiver with the stuff and go to town (make sure you are immune somehow).

Akkristor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »

Yes, this is the basis of the Factotum build I use.

Minor Creation (once you get it) to make plant-based poisons, coat arrows in them, and shoot them into people.
Before MC, use Craft (Poisonmaking) along with your Level-to-skill boost to make the poisons you need.

Master of Poisons, from Drow of the Underdark, gives you Poison Use, so no chance of poisoning yourself when you apply them to arrows.

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 07:31:19 PM »
Faerie Mysteries Initiate.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 05:35:38 AM by NiteCyper »
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 07:36:10 PM »

Yes, and it works REALLY well.  You want your bow to be a Splitting bow of Assassination, and then use a Tooth of Leraje to make it +5.  Use Minor Creation to make Black Lotus Poison until DC 25 is too low, then switch to that other poison that's DC 24, plant based, and does acid damage in addition to 2d6 con damage (it should be in the poison handbook).

JaronK

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 09:41:56 PM »

Yes, and it works REALLY well.  You want your bow to be a Splitting bow of Assassination, and then use a Tooth of Leraje to make it +5.  Use Minor Creation to make Black Lotus Poison until DC 25 is too low, then switch to that other poison that's DC 24, plant based, and does acid damage in addition to 2d6 con damage (it should be in the poison handbook).

JaronK
black lotus poison is DC 20.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 09:45:38 PM »
JaronK's adding in the +5 DC from the assassination ability. 

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 09:46:02 PM »
JaronK's adding in the +5 DC from the assassination ability. 
ah, my mistake then.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Dark5ide

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 05:00:51 AM »
Poison Bows it is! (Though how I will meet the Dex requirement for many shot is beyond me (I unless I spend every abilty upgrade on it, but still)

Any bow/armor/rings etc you would suggest that would be affordable at my level?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 01:46:40 PM »
Poison Bows it is! (Though how I will meet the Dex requirement for many shot is beyond me (I unless I spend every abilty upgrade on it, but still)

Get your bow with the elvencraft modification (RotW) so you can make melee attacks and AoOs.
Healing Belts are a must have for any low level adventurer.
Masterwork tools for the skills you use often would also be good.

Akkristor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 04:09:54 PM »

You can use a DEX boosting magic item to qualify for the feat, but remember you lose the benefits of the feat when not wearing it.