Author Topic: Hack and Slash your way to fortune!  (Read 8544 times)

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
Hack and Slash your way to fortune!
« on: April 04, 2010, 12:31:33 PM »
I'm making a Demonbinder for Ith's, and need help.
[spoiler]PGtF - Lesser Drow, Spellblade, Spells...
CA - Warlock, Persistent Spell, Items...
DotU - Demonbinder, Spells, Items...
SpC - Spells.
MIC - Items.
ToB - Warblade, Eternal Blade, Maneuvers...
HoH - Archivist, Spells... (-20% Gold)
PHB2 - Spells.
DMG2 - ???

Wanted list:
FC2 (worth 2 books) - Investiture Spells (!), Shriver (!), Worm of Minauros (!)...
Draconomicon - Draconic Polymorph (!), Items.
LoM - Mindsight (!), Spells, Grell Alchemy.
________________________________________________________________________________[/spoiler]

What I got so far:
Lesser Drow Warlock 4 / Swordsage 1 / Demonbinder 2 / Swordsage +1 / Demonbinder +2 // Archivist 10
(Lesser Drow Swordsage 2 / Warlock 4 / Demonbinder 6 / Eternal Blade 8 // Archivist 20)

Stat Block:
STR 8, DEX 12 (14), CON 14 (12), INT 16 (18), WIS 16, CHA 14 (18)
BAB: 8, Saves: 10/5/13 (+4 Fortitude (Luck), +2 Will (vs. Enchantment))
HP: 84 (16 (Swordsage x 2) + 48 (Archivist x 8) + 20 (CON x 10))
DR: 1/Cold Iron & 2/Good
Resistance to Electricity 5, Detect Magic, Deceive Item
Quick to Act +1, Discipline Focus (Shadow Hand), AC Bonus
Dark Knowledge 6/day (Tactics, Puissance, Foe)
Demonbind 4/day (8 Damnation Points)

Feats:
1B - Otherworldly
1B - Scribe Scroll
1st -
3rd -
5B - Weapon Focus (Shadow Hand)
6th - Multiweapon Fighting
9th - Shadow Blade
Gloves of the Balanced Hand - Improved Multiweapon Fighting
10B - Craft Wondrous Item
Serpentskin Armor - Combat Reflexes
12th -
15th - Robilar's Gambit
18th - Greater Multiweapon Fighting
20B -

Maneuvers:
Maneuvers: Moment of Perfect Mind, Action Before Thought, Mind Over Body, Sudden Leap, Counter Charge, Shadow Jaunt, Cloak of Deception.
Stances: Hunter's Sense, Assassin's Stance.

Invocations:
Eldritch Blast: 4d6
Least: Baleful Utterance, See The Unseen, Dark One's Own Luck.
Lesser: Fell Flight.

Spells:
Orisons -
1st - Resurgence, Conviction, Divine Favor, Shield of Faith, XXX, XXX, XXX, XXX, Rhino's Rush ($), Faerie Fire ($).
2nd - Resist Energy, Living Undeath, Divine Insight, Desecrate, Delay Poison ($), Blinding Spittle ($), Daggerspell Stance ($), Bite of the Wererat ($).
3rd - Dispel Magic, Magic Vestment, Fell the Greatest Foe, Clutch of Orcus, Darklight ($), Lion's Charge ($).
4th - Divine Power, Death Ward, Freedom of Movement, Pronouncement of Fate, Armor of Darkness ($), Polymorph ($).
5th - Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, Triadspell, Darkbolt ($), Rejuvenating Cocoon ($), Bite of the Weretiger ($), Plant Body ($).

Lolth
Intermediate Deity
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Domains: Chaos, Darkness, Destruction, Evil, Trickery, Drow, Spider.
Favored Weapon: Whip.

Items (40,000 gp):
Tome of the Stilled Tongue (6,000)
Scribed Spells (1,750)
Cloak of Charisma +4 (12,800)
Balanced Hand Gloves of Blood Rage (12,640) (8,000) + (7,800) - 20%
6,810 Gold (but see below)
Weapon Options (none bought yet):
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:26:48 AM by CantripN »
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Fluffles

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Hack and Slash your way to fortune!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 12:51:45 PM »
Both the Fiendish Codex's and Fiend folio are not allowed anymore, thanks to a few people pulling insanely cheesy shit out of them  :banghead

Drop Weapon focus, get SpC, cast that one spell that gets you a fighter feat for 1 min/level.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 01:27:40 PM »
Both the Fiendish Codex's and Fiend folio are not allowed anymore, thanks to a few people pulling insanely cheesy shit out of them  :banghead

Drop Weapon focus, get SpC, cast that one spell that gets you a fighter feat for 1 min/level.

Dropped FC2 for now, but I still want it for later. Hope for an Arena Gift, I guess? Got SpC and LoM for it.
As for Weapon Focus, I need it for Eternal Blade, and losing my class features from a dispel isn't fun. Besides, it's not on my spell list.

It's a shame Iajutsu Master is Lawful-only. Would've been fun to Quickdraw 6 Katanas for 54d6+6xCHA Iajutsu Damage. Nevermind the 12 actual attacks... Or I could use Aptitude Quickrazors and get 108d6+12xCHA. :rollseyes

Currently, damage stands at a somewhat lower figure...

I guess each blow does 1d4+3d6+10 or so. That's not negligible, but I need sources of BONUS DAMAGE (nonprecision, preferably). Healing 2 HP per hit is nice, though (perhaps I should consider getting a Therapeutic Mantle?). And I need Attack and AC, too. Also need a way to bypass a Swiftblade's Haste.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 02:49:17 PM by CantripN »
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 03:00:46 PM »
Also need a way to bypass a Swiftblade's Haste.
cast slow.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 03:08:22 PM »
cast slow.

Followed by their casting Haste as a Free Action to restore it? No, thanks.

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 03:09:33 PM »
cast slow.

Followed by their casting Haste as a Free Action to restore it? No, thanks.

get a use activated item of slow. Have it activate when you take an action. problem solved.
"There's more to apocalypse than running around like a maniac you know"
-B. M. Evilwizardington.
blogging at disasters made in china

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 03:18:35 PM »
...right. How about a Use Activated Item of Wish? That would be fun, no?

Anybody got the Ordained Champion of Kali saved? It's a build made by LogicNinja I once read, and IIRC it may well help me, but it's no longer saved on the site...

"I am become Death": Kali's Ordained Champion -- a TWF blender - (by LogicNinja)

Fluffles

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 03:44:58 PM »
Hey, just get more Slows than the Wizards have haste ;)

Slow would cripple Fast Bastard pretty damn hard for the rest of his fights for the day. Especially since I have 4 fights a day  :bigeye

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 03:51:01 PM »
I was counting on the Investiture of the Ice Devil spell for that. 7th level, and every hit while it lasts makes the target make a Will save or be Slowed for 3 rounds. And my Truespeaker can do all sorts of tricks, and there's little anyone can do about it!

Thing is, a Sorcerer Swiftblade has more Haste spells that I can possibly hope to counter.

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 05:35:04 PM »
the easy solution with investiture of the ice devil: get more attacks!

as in, divine power, rapidstrike, you're already TWFing, improved rapidstrike, et cetera.
-B. M. Evilwizardington.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 05:44:45 PM »
Actually, I'm Greater Multiweapon Fighting with 6 arms by then. That's 18 Attacks.

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 05:50:12 PM »
Actually, I'm Greater Multiweapon Fighting with 6 arms by then. That's 18 Attacks.

add celerity, and you can rack up a lot of lost spell slots for the swiftblade.
-B. M. Evilwizardington.

Fluffles

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 05:54:28 PM »

add celerity, and you can rack up a lot of lost spell slots for the swiftblade.

It's banned.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 06:15:43 PM »
I'm really out of ideas as to what to do besides having full spellcasting and 6 arms. Sure, it's nice, but it's not enough.
I'm limited to 2 PrCs (limiting myself to 1 is another book) and 3 base classes (limiting to 2 is another book).

I've got CHA to one save (Dark One's Own Luck), Constant See Invisibility, Constant Fly, A Dimension Door + Major Image combo (which I'm considering trading for Blindsense 30' or another Lesser Invocation) and Demonbinding from my Warlock side. I could go for Hellfire Warlock, but surprisingly, that doesn't actually help me at all, seeing as CON damage is bad and I'm not using my EB much anyway (basically, I'd rather have another book than be a Hellfire Warlock).

I don't have Polymorph as an Archivist here (it's MUCH weaker, since it's limited to Cleric/Druid, IIRC, so no Adept), and that means my chances of hitting aren't that great. Nor do I have any major sources of damage.

I really haven't ever played a divine caster, and it shows. I've watched my fellow players, and I know the ropes, but I'm unsure how to make this work.

Being an Eternal Blade would give a sizable boost to Attack, Damage and later, even AC, as well as allow me to ignore DR, which shuts down builds like this. So that SHOULD work, but I REALLY want some way to squeeze in FC2! I'm not even sure the SpC is a Must, really.

And I still don't have a way to deal with Dispels, ain't got no Persistent Spells, and ain't got no idea how to get any real viability!

Help!

EDIT: Hey, I wonder, can I make a little change? Why, I believe I can! I now have CHA to Will Saves, and I even get Thicket of Blades as a freebie!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 06:35:50 PM by CantripN »

Fluffles

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 06:33:30 PM »
Complete mage has the Ring of Enduring Arcana, +4 to Dispel DCs.

Or you can do what Troll does, Spam Endure Elements so that you have ~20 spells to dispel.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 06:37:08 PM »
Complete mage has the Ring of Enduring Arcana, +4 to Dispel DCs.

Or you can do what Troll does, Spam Endure Elements so that you have ~20 spells to dispel.

Sadly, CM is beyond my pay grade for the moment, as it doesn't really give me anything else (I can use Spellblades, though, as I have the book!). And Troll's a munchkin if ever I saw one, so no. BTW, I'd made a little update above, look.

I'm now a Lesser Drow Crusader 2 / Warlock 4 / Demonbinder 4 / Eternal Blade 10 // Archivist 20. That seems to work. I think.

I really wish we'd banned Wildshape and Polymorph. I've always played without them because they are so cheesy, so I'm both unfamiliar and disgusted.

EDIT: Though that does raise a question... Can I be a CE Druid? That would certainly work...
EDIT2: I suppose not. But a CN is allowed, and I can be a CN Demonbinder. Lookout for MAJOR UPDATE.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 06:59:01 PM by CantripN »

Fluffles

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 08:43:32 PM »
Polymorph got hella nerfed in the Epic arena. Wildshape remains Borked :-\

And you better learn to get over your anathema, you'll lose if you don't.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 08:55:54 PM »
Polymorph got hella nerfed in the Epic arena. Wildshape remains Borked :-\

And you better learn to get over your anathema, you'll lose if you don't.

Hey, do you think I'm better off Wildshaping into the strongest form I can get, with Pounce and other nonsense, or am I better off with a semi-human form that can use weapons. A human-like form would be able to make an additional attacks per hand (2 later).

Also, I'm not sure what's the interaction between Demonbinding and Wildshape. The abiltiy states I grow 2 additional sets of arms and my feet become a serpent's tail. While fluffy, I'm not sure what that means mechanically.

Do I keep Rake? What abilities come from having a Serpent's tail? Only useful ability that strikes me is that the CC Wildshape feat has special benefits in a serpentine form (reach, IIRC).

Actually, I'm not even sure that affects anything, since the ability mentions no change to your land-speed, stability, or even footwear.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 09:08:56 PM »
Those sound interesting:
Fangshields Druid 5 (CoV, p 40): Must be non-humanoid.  Wild Shape Hands (form hands while wildshaping)
Fangshields Druid 7 (CoV, p 40): Must be non-humanoid.  Wild Shape (Humanoid), lose 1 use of wild shape.

Seeing as I'm not a Humanoid, ever, that should work. Seriously, I'm an Evil Outsider.

Or I could go with Dragon Wild Shape.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:11:02 PM by CantripN »

Fluffles

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 09:55:28 PM »
Yeah, Dragon Wildshape can be pretty useful. What pisses me off about it is that it doesn't go up to Large size... I would have a build around http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20031122a that if it went up to large size :p