Author Topic: Questions for an Apostle of Peace  (Read 8192 times)

Theomniadept

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Questions for an Apostle of Peace
« on: April 03, 2010, 12:52:08 AM »
So I'm in a game that's kinda comprimised (long story) andto make things simple I'm playing a Healer/Apostle of Peace. My stats as a level 11 (the 4th level points are already factored) are 13 STR, 16 DEX, 14 CON, 13 INT, 18 WIS, 18 CHA - the two 18s are due to the fact that I am playing a lesser Aasimar.

I've got 8 levels in Healer, 3 in Apostle of Peace, and I want 2 levels to become devoted to the Saint template. That said, my feats are as follows: I took three flaws (noncombatant, shaky, murky-eyed), my feats are Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Nymph's Kiss, Augment Healing, a granted Skill Focus (Heal), Vow of Nonviolence, Magic of the Land, Vow of Peace, Nimbus of Light, Holy Radiance, Gift of Faith, and Touch of Healing.

I have 2 feats yet to choose, I know I want one to be Nonlethal substitution so I can use damaging Sanctified spells, but I don't know which metamagic feat to pick as a pre-requisite. Also, given my plans for sainthood and such, what should I pick as far as my next 5 exalted feats?

As far as spells go I have Spell Compendium's helaing spells on my list (Close Wounds at level 2) and thus I have more options but I'm not sure what spells to use - I've got options between Healer, Apostle of Peace, and Sanctified.

All books are allowed, no magazines. I think that sums it up. Oh, my equipment consists of a spell component pouch, a wooden holy symbol,, and a club. I think I may be a little overincumbered but I'm willing to risk it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 01:19:43 AM by Theomniadept »

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
Re: Questions for an Apostle of Peace
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 01:30:00 AM »
2 flaws max.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

OblivionSmurf83

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 01:34:35 AM »
Interesting side note:

Apostle of Peace requires various crappy vows to qualify for, but only the feat itself, not the benefit it confers. If you take vow of nonviolence, for example, then proceed to beat down an Orphan, you'll lose the benefits of the feat, but you'll still have the feat. So, technically, you don't have to obey a code of conduct as an Apostle of Peace if you don't want to.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 01:56:12 AM »
Interesting side note:

Apostle of Peace requires various crappy vows to qualify for, but only the feat itself, not the benefit it confers. If you take vow of nonviolence, for example, then proceed to beat down an Orphan, you'll lose the benefits of the feat, but you'll still have the feat. So, technically, you don't have to obey a code of conduct as an Apostle of Peace if you don't want to.
this is pure win. I shall remember this.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 01:58:29 AM »
Apostle of Peace into Greyguard is even more fun. Just find a way to get the sacred vow feats as Class Abilities.

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 05:25:08 AM »
Apostle of Peace into Greyguard is even more fun. Just find a way to get the sacred vow feats as Class Abilities.
wonderworker gives 3 bonus exalted feats.
downside: its a theurgic(arcane/divine) PrC that advances spellcasting by giving bonus spells.
"There's more to apocalypse than running around like a maniac you know"
-B. M. Evilwizardington.
blogging at disasters made in china

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 05:26:32 AM »
Isn't there some sort of "holy warrior" PrC that grants an exalted feat every level?  It's three levels long, and intended entirely for dipping
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 12:41:27 PM »
Isn't there some sort of "holy warrior" PrC that grants an exalted feat every level?  It's three levels long, and intended entirely for dipping

Requires 2 exalted feats to enter. The difficult part here is that very few classes grant bonus exalted feats that don't already require them.

Wizard 1/Human Paragon 2/ Wonder Worker 3/ Grey Guard 1/ Apostle of Peace 2/PrC Paladin 1/ Grey guard +9/ Full casting 1
Bonus Metamagic: Sanctify Spell
Human Paragon: Knight of the Stars
Wonder Worker: Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Vow of Nonviolence
Vow of Poverty:Vow of Peace

EDIT: That should get 9s now. Prereqs might noo be perfect but they could be worked around.

Has no obligation to any vows. Or even to staying Exalted. And 9th level spells, turn undead, and the Paladin list. And a no save/no SR touch attack that ends encounters.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 01:04:02 PM by bearsarebrown »

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 12:49:55 PM »
Wizard 3/Human Paragon 2/ Wonder Worker 2/ Apostle of Peace 2/PrC Paladin 1/ Grey guard 10
Wizard 2/Human Paragon 3 would be better, right?
Gray guard is 5/10 casting, can you still achieve 9th lvl spells?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 12:52:11 PM by cru »

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 12:58:31 PM »
...it is? Damn! Let me rework it.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 01:19:27 PM »
I love the peace through superior firepower build, good work there.

Theomniadept

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 02:41:02 PM »
Whia, hey, I think I left a little bit out - none of that stuff is allowed. One rule we're playing with is that Prestige Classes MUST be maxed out; if going into epic levels we're going to have to take a level of base class, but other than that those are the rules we're playing with.

It's primarily because of this 13 classes stuff that the DM did this, so I think I'm going to set a little boundary here;

By 20th level My level swill be Healer 8/Saint 2/Apostle of Peace 10. From there please refer to my first post; mainly, what spells, feats, etc should I take? Primarily, what metamagic feat should I take as a prerequisite for Nonlethal Substitution?

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 03:23:37 PM »
Whia, hey, I think I left a little bit out - none of that stuff is allowed. One rule we're playing with is that Prestige Classes MUST be maxed out; if going into epic levels we're going to have to take a level of base class, but other than that those are the rules we're playing with.

It's primarily because of this 13 classes stuff that the DM did this, so I think I'm going to set a little boundary here;

By 20th level My level swill be Healer 8/Saint 2/Apostle of Peace 10. From there please refer to my first post; mainly, what spells, feats, etc should I take? Primarily, what metamagic feat should I take as a prerequisite for Nonlethal Substitution?
would have been nice to know that earlier.

Theomniadept

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 05:15:40 PM »
I asked mostly for spells and feats (exalted as well as metamagic) - I didn't expect the level jumping/dipping stuff. Sorry I didn't clarify that.

Oh, and about spells; I have the Healer spell list (plus all healing spells from spell compedium at their cleric levels), the Apostle of Peace spell list, and for BOTH those spell lists I have Sanctified spells. Until I get my Saint template (2 or 3 levels away depending on if my sacrifice is death) the DCs for my Apostle spells (as well as Sanctified spells cast by the class) are 1 higher than my Healer DCs, and my Healer healing spells get my Cha bonus to damage healed. Just a little heads up.

But, I'm not really sure what the best spells to prepare are, and what sort of tactics I can use with them (especially sanctified). Note that Apostle gives me turn undead, so I think I could take Divine Metamagic, but I wouldn't know what feat to apply it to.

And last, my scores of 18 in Cha and Wis? I forgot to add 4 to Wis and 2 to Cha for Vow of Poverty. As I bring this up, I also want to ask what to put my two lower ability enhancements from that feat into.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 07:16:04 PM »
Isn't there some sort of "holy warrior" PrC that grants an exalted feat every level?  It's three levels long, and intended entirely for dipping

Requires 2 exalted feats to enter. The difficult part here is that very few classes grant bonus exalted feats that don't already require them.

Wizard 1/Human Paragon 2/ Wonder Worker 3/ Grey Guard 1/ Apostle of Peace 2/PrC Paladin 1/ Grey guard +9/ Full casting 1
Bonus Metamagic: Sanctify Spell
Human Paragon: Knight of the Stars
Wonder Worker: Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Vow of Nonviolence
Vow of Poverty:Vow of Peace

EDIT: That should get 9s now. Prereqs might not be perfect but they could be worked around.

Has no obligation to any vows. Or even to staying Exalted. And 9th level spells, turn undead, and the Paladin list. And a no save/no SR touch attack that ends encounters.
I think human paragon -> sacred vow would be slightly better?  Does that get you an additional exalted feat?

I do like the flavor of it, though
"Yeah, I've sworn a vow of poverty and a vow of peace.  But technically speaking, this weaponry belongs to my god, and I've found few things less peaceful than a corpse."

Anyway, invisible spell is always awesome as a metamagic.  It's surprisingly useful, and at +0 you can apply it to anything.  Put the last stat bump into con, probably
Planetouched Handbook

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 07:32:21 PM »
I think human paragon -> sacred vow would be slightly better?  Does that get you an additional exalted feat?
Stupidly, no. Sacred Vow is just a feat tax.

Theomniadept

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 07:48:57 PM »
Sounds cool, what book is Invisible Spell in?

And bearsarebrown, I'm inclined to disagree with you. Not on anything you said, but your name. There are bears that aren't brown, you know.

I don't regret Sacred Vow, it can't be as bad a feat tax as Spell Focus (Conjuration) for Augment Summoning, as I can't think of any Conjuration spells with a save DC.

So what exalted bonus feats should I take? I'd take Chastity, but my character sorta has a feat called Nymph's Kiss which essentially gives you a friend with benefits - those benefits being +2 to all Charisma skills, +1 skill point per level, and +1 save vs. spells and the like.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 08:37:11 PM »
I don't regret Sacred Vow, it can't be as bad a feat tax as Spell Focus (Conjuration) for Augment Summoning, as I can't think of any Conjuration spells with a save DC.
They are similarly bad. Yes.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 12:00:58 AM »
Invisible spell is from cityscape.
Planetouched Handbook

Theomniadept

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 12:35:39 AM »
Would there be much of an advantage to invisible spells? I still have to make a bit of noise and can potentially be heard, and it's not like I'm firing invisiblee lightning bolts at enemies.