Author Topic: Coolest capstones?  (Read 22908 times)

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
Re: Coolest capstones?
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2010, 04:20:43 PM »
Except for Walker in the Wastes which is well worth it.
Cha to HP is baaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllls awesome.

cha times HD :P
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2010, 04:42:44 PM »
It is more being a powerful undead lich with no LA, lots of stat boosts and being pretty much unkillable (permanently).

DM dirty trick number 625: making the ordinary lich's phylactery a perfect copy of a canopic jar, and then laugh as the players spend weeks searching for the other jars.
"There's more to apocalypse than running around like a maniac you know"
-B. M. Evilwizardington.
blogging at disasters made in china

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2010, 05:13:02 PM »
DM dirty trick number 625: making the ordinary lich's phylactery a perfect copy of a canopic jar, and then laugh as the players spend weeks searching for the other jars.
:(

You can destory 1 without having the others destroyed right? Seems just a mean excuse to run your players around (after killing the BBEG)
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2010, 05:16:56 PM »
I think the idea is to make them run around long enough to let the lich remake his phylactery.

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2010, 05:23:01 PM »
I think the idea is to make them run around long enough to let the lich remake his phylactery.

they usually dont go after the phylactery until after they have already busted him, so its more to make them completely focused on finfing the other jars while BBEG No. 2 moves into the picture and takes over stuff.
-B. M. Evilwizardington.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2010, 05:52:41 PM »

they usually dont go after the phylactery until after they have already busted him, so its more to make them completely focused on finfing the other jars while BBEG No. 2 moves into the picture and takes over stuff.

Or you know, you get your minions to cast Revive Undead...
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2010, 05:58:27 PM »
I'd say the most confusing capstone is Dragon Disciple's, since it disqualifies you for the PrC.  Which then means you no longer have the capstone, so you do qualify, which means you have it so you don't...
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2010, 06:19:34 PM »
I always felt that the first level of Ur priest disqualifies you from the class because you now have divine spellcasting

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2010, 07:05:44 PM »

Or you know, you get your minions to cast Revive Undead...

They have already destroyed both him and his phylactery(he wasn't ACTUALLY a Dry lich, in case that wasn't clear). his minions are now all masterless. Why would they want to spend resources on resurrecting their master when they can just move into his tower and start using his fancy gear?
-B. M. Evilwizardington.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2010, 10:38:55 PM »
I'd say the most confusing capstone is Dragon Disciple's, since it disqualifies you for the PrC.  Which then means you no longer have the capstone, so you do qualify, which means you have it so you don't...
Same thing as the dread necromancer's lich transformation.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2010, 11:35:39 PM »

But a dread necromancer does not have a prerequisite so the infinite disqualification loop does not happen.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2010, 11:36:17 PM »

But a dread necromancer does not have a prerequisite so the infinite disqualification loop does not happen.
the class ability does, though.
Planetouched Handbook

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2010, 12:01:43 AM »

the class ability does, though.
But you have the class ability.  You don't lose the class ability just because you no longer "qualify" for it, so there is no infinite disqualification loop anyway.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2010, 12:10:34 AM »
Nightmare Spinner. 3/day make someone die of fright. The DC's kinda crap though, even if you are a Sorc (15+CHA mod).

Dipping Nightmare Spinner is the capstone with Bonus Spells.

Master of the silent sound (dragon 297).

Looks like a typical "trade four levels of spellcasting for some mostly useless abilities" class.

The capstone ability is a 1/day spell-like ability.
It replicates any spell of 9th level or lower.  As a full round action.  With CL = character level.

Sounds a bit like the the Divine Agent PrC. They get to cast Gate as an SLA, even a bit before the last level.

Shadow Sun Ninja would be cool if you could still control yourself after becoming a vampire. Nominate for worst capstone.

Beauty's Bounty.
Note: Cha is worthless except for those with that stat as their spellcasting stat or faces, and faces in DND are a joke with the advent of Diplomancy. Dragonwrought Kobolds are also...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:29:24 AM by NiteCyper »
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2010, 12:58:56 AM »
Beauty's bounty only works at first level, making it slightly less worthwhile than toughness.
Planetouched Handbook

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2010, 02:23:57 AM »
My favorites are Factotum 19 (anything you can do I can do too!), Dread Necromancer 20 (Lich!), Anima Mage 10 (Immediate casting of any spell!), and Master of Many Forms (unlimited form changing).

JaronK

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2010, 03:13:36 AM »
Note: Cha is worthless except for those with that stat as their spellcasting stat or faces, and faces in DND are a joke with the advent of Diplomancy. Dragonwrought Kobolds are also...

Useless you say? You can add Cha to nearly any stat in the game. multiple times!
Don't forget that you get d12s too. And Cha is your primary stat because of Dynamic Priest and DMM.

IIRC, only to abilities can replace Con to HP at every level. And that's Unholy Toughness and Fairie Mysteries Initiate. Cha and Int respectively.

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2010, 03:18:19 AM »
I fail to see how Alienist 10 makes you reroll another character. I'm assuming there was another version other than Complete Arcane.

How about Swiftblade's capstone?

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2010, 04:04:27 AM »
If the somewhat well-known Hyperconscious is allowed to count, I shall have to chip in for the Chronorebel. Its capstone: Time travel.
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2010, 04:48:25 AM »
If the somewhat well-known Hyperconscious is allowed to count, I shall have to chip in for the Chronorebel. Its capstone: Time travel.
Wait, what?.....

...... ah, right, think I wrote a campaign about bounty hunters going after one... If only there were a way to make him go forward too...