Author Topic: Optimizing a Duskblade with accelerated spell casting  (Read 1956 times)

fun_at_funerals

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • A humble mage with apocalyptic aspirations
    • Email
Optimizing a Duskblade with accelerated spell casting
« on: March 12, 2010, 03:06:02 AM »
Hi there CO. I'm presently DMing a campaign and I have a player that intends to use a Duskblade. It's going to be a rather high powered campaign so I'm helping him optimize his build. My basic concern is trying to grant him access to higher level spells while still reaching level 13 for Arcane Channeling as part of a full attack an not having to sacrifice BAB so much.

Since he only has 7 levels past 13, the accelerated casting classes naturally came to mind. I was thinking of setting him up with either Sublime Chord, Chameleon, or even Ur-Priest.

Sublime Chord would require some multiclassing that would reduce his spell casting level significantly. However, it does allow him to PrC out for some added benefits on top of casting (Abjurant Champion or Sacred Exorcist). Problem is SC grant very little spells known.

Ur-Priest will grant him 7th level cleric spell casting and he'll still be able to PrC out to into something for BAB and better HD. Problem here is that it the number of spellslots it grants are rather small and are based off wisdom.

Chameleon on the other hand will eventually grant 5th level spells and Double Focus will allow him to take both Divine and Arcane Focus simultaneously. Further more, the spell known and access aren't restricted, allowing him to gain any spell he needs. Furthermore, they can be both based on Strength through Aeshkrau if he decides to go Illuminian. Plus, DMM is within his reach and he gets bonuses to Knowledge Checks which makes Knowledge Devotion even more awesome.

I'm till toying with the idea but this is basically what I'm considering. What do you guys think?
You can't spell FUNERALS without FUN

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Optimizing a Duskblade with accelerated spell casting
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 04:58:37 AM »
Divine champion is also decent, though the spell list is the most restrictive possible (but grabbing bonus domains is fun and easy)
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 06:54:47 AM »
Are you familiar with the second page of the duskblade handbook: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=525.20
Starting with post titled "Finishing Duskblade ... Dramatically increasing their strengths"
Perhaps high level spells will not be needed if the player can access obscure spells via fiendblooded or wyrm wizard PrC

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 10:58:40 AM »
I'm going to suggest somethign entirely different: How about increasing versatility via other means than spellcasting?

A Binder/Anima Mage conclusion could be nice, for instance.

Or a Totemist/Soulcaster.  Getting a few natural weapons in addition to a weapon full-attack is great with Arcane Strike.