Author Topic: Help with my Animal Lord  (Read 5783 times)

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
Re: Help with my Animal Lord
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 11:17:41 PM »
Hadozee are from Stormwrack and this is a JUNGLE game... But they'd be allowed because they have nothing to do with the water. Much like Primevals have nothing to do with Frostfell. Whatever, if the DM is being dumb you just have to work with it I guess.

and just to point out, redoing Bear Warrior into Ape Warrior is Primeval. Except you don't have to rage to shift.
well, the potential flavor connection that I see is: many islanders are seafaring (albeit on very small boats, though), and tropical islands quite frequently have jungles   :shrug
And yes, there has been much that I have had to learn to work with (and I've gotta game with the group I have).

anyways, I'll keep working on him.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 02:39:02 AM »
Oh, you may also want to take a look at Fist of the Forest from Complete Champion as it would really fit a character dedicated to living in the wild.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 03:58:12 AM »
a flying squirrel-gorilla hybrid?  :love

that's it, i'm making a dread pirate hadozee. Fuck you sanity.
Dude... monkey pirate! All you'd need is some renegade mastermaker in there and you're set.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 04:04:08 AM »

Dude... monkey pirate! All you'd need is some renegade mastermaker in there and you're set.

Nah, just throw on some warforged grafts and call it good.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 09:26:20 PM »

Hmm, take some levels in ninja and become a Corpse Creature.  Zombie robot monkey ninja pirates make the world explode.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2010, 10:31:07 PM »
Oh, you may also want to take a look at Fist of the Forest from Complete Champion as it would really fit a character dedicated to living in the wild.
:scared too .. many ... options  -_-'
*head explodes*

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm very indecisive, and riddled with ADD to boot.
Though, FotF is definitely a viable option.  I'm sure I'll be back in 10-12 levels to revisit my follow-on options.

BTW, I'm looking for a good 1st-level feat (one of them will be imp. toughness).  My initial thoughts are:
- skill focus (handle animal) -- just in case I decide to eventually go beastmaster later
- improved buckler defense -- I'm gonna need all the armor class I can get (seeing as I have a low dex, and my armor options will be quite limited)
- any other ideas
The character hits the table tomorrow night.  I've gone with the feats and wild shape variants , and will be going Apelord. (oh, and the DM did allow "natural bond" to be added to the list of available bonus feats, since I'll be sacrificing my combat style -- I'm working on him to also add wild feats).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 10:32:43 PM by wotmaniac »

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 10:37:41 PM »
So some questions that may help flesh out your character and thus aid us in assisting you.

How do you see your character fighting?
How do you see your character contributing within the party?
What's the message you want to convey with the character?

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2010, 07:54:15 AM »
So some questions that may help flesh out your character and thus aid us in assisting you.

and how do you see him faring out of combat?
"There's more to apocalypse than running around like a maniac you know"
-B. M. Evilwizardington.
blogging at disasters made in china

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2010, 12:12:25 PM »

aggressive melee (weakly-armored tank?) ; in absence of claws, I'll be using a spear

scouting ; island guide/envoy (since the rest of the party are newly-arrived settlers -- the DM has described this as a "world-building campaign") ; all-round "tough guy"  :D
"Me Tarzan; you Jane"  :P
Seriously though, the more I think on it, this character is probably a symbolic manifestation of how I am feeling personally within the group at the moment.  I've been having several "issues" with the group dynamic for quite a while, and this character pretty much represents everything that I am feeling right now.  Subconsciously, I guess that I'm trying to play a character that will be received in the same manner that I feel that I personally am being received (at least then I can't get all butt-hurt over being misinterpreted).
That probably doesn't answer the question very well, but it's what I've got for now.

and how do you see him faring out of combat?
In what ways?  I'm still trying to figure-out exactly what we're supposed to be doing -- I still can't get a straight answer on what "world-building" is supposed to mean.  All I know is that I am accustom to (and prefer) an action-oriented game, where adventurers go out and ... adventure (you know -- go kill the BBEG and his followers -as well as anyone who gets in our way- before his evil plans come to complete fruition).  Seriously -- I feel like I'm Clint Eastwood, and I just got drafted by the People's Front of Judea :witsend

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2010, 12:24:32 PM »
Oh, BTW, here's what I've settled on so far:
ranger 6/AL 10/ ??
wild shape variant and CC feats variant (and got some extra feats added to the list in place of the combat style -oriented feats)
1 - imp toughness
1 - power attack
3 - quick reconnoiter
4 - natural bond
6 - ??
9 - rapidstrike
12 - ??
15 - imp. rapidstrike
18 - ??
and, of course, endurance and track from ranger levels (obviously)

primary weapon will be a spear ; will also be carrying several shortspears (for range) and a couple of throwing axes (typically used as simple tools -- this is a flavor filler). 

I rolled my stats last night: 17, 16, 17, 14, 13, 10 (on a 4d6 -- no bullshit ; and yes, I did drop the lowest die on each roll  :p)
I plan on my stat boosts to alternate between STR and CON

Did I leave out anything?

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 12:54:14 PM »
Given your restrictions that seems reasonable. I do think you could probably pull off what you want better with a master of many forms but as far as animal lord goes it looks fine. Also see about getting your DM to allow primeval. Given that you will have a low armor class anyway you might want to look into taking shock trooper, you have the feats free and it would make you a monstrous charger.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2010, 06:29:43 PM »
Given your restrictions that seems reasonable. I do think you could probably pull off what you want better with a master of many forms but as far as animal lord goes it looks fine. Also see about getting your DM to allow primeval. Given that you will have a low armor class anyway you might want to look into taking shock trooper, you have the feats free and it would make you a monstrous charger.
me likes.  thanks.

Also, any suggestions for feats for my ape (well, dire ape in 2 more levels)?
I was thinking combat reflexes + vexing flanker + adaptable flanker

Also, I just noticed that drag.mag. # 351 lists Ledgendary Ape as being available as an AC at level 13 -- thoughts? (the only real downside that I really see is that it is a medium creature, as opposed to large)

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2010, 12:53:00 AM »
oh, a couple of update notes:
- vexing flanker got shot down for AC feats (which I can see) -- however, Powerful Charge was suggested
- Just realized that with having the wild shape variant, it may very well be more beneficial to forgo the 6th level of ranger -- the only thing that I will miss out on is 1 extra use of wild shape (which isn't really that crucial to how I run the character -- I mainly took it to get more uses of "wild aspect", and to qualify for possible follow-on PrC's)

Oh, an to answer suggestions for Bear Warrior, Primeval, MoMF, etc. -- none of those do anything for my AC, which I really really want.  'preciate it, though -- thanks.

I've already ranted about the campaign on the other thread, so I guess that's it.

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2010, 04:18:41 AM »
Oh, an to answer suggestions for Bear Warrior, Primeval, MoMF, etc. -- none of those do anything for my AC, which I really really want.  'preciate it, though -- thanks.

It sounds like your primarily interested in animal companions so I think Beast Master may be the best/most fun you'll have in the scheme of all things.

"His crew includes a badger with a troubled past and nothing left to lose, an elephant who never forgets -- to kill! And a seldom-used crab named Lucky, a.k.a. Citizen Snips."

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2010, 01:31:44 AM »
Oh, an to answer suggestions for Bear Warrior, Primeval, MoMF, etc. -- none of those do anything for my AC, which I really really want.  'preciate it, though -- thanks.

It sounds like your primarily interested in animal companions so I think Beast Master may be the best/most fun you'll have in the scheme of all things.

"His crew includes a badger with a troubled past and nothing left to lose, an elephant who never forgets -- to kill! And a seldom-used crab named Lucky, a.k.a. Citizen Snips."
This was very heavily considered.  However, our last game had a guy who whored-out his AC to the Nth degree (the reason that this is relevant is that this guy is no longer with the gaming group, and very thankfully so), and the PC became simply a support character for the AC -- something that I want to avoid (at least for this character).  
While I can see playing this type of character in the future (druid 5/beastmaster 10?? with maybe an anthropomorphic animal cohort??), I'm looking to strike more of a balance between the PC and his AC (with the PC being the clear focus, and the AC simply providing the support).

Thanks.  (yeah, by this point, I've finally got a sense of focus for the character)

All that I am wrestling with now is:
- feats, starting with 6th level
- do I go in to Animal Lord after 5th, or wait 1 more level to get 1 more wild shape use/day?
If I go in after 5th, I'll most likely take "extra wild shape" as my 6th level feat.  If I wait one more level, then I'm at a loss -- I'm looking at the following (for 6th and beyond):
- improved natural attack
- quick draw
 -- brutal throw
  --- power throw
- coordinated strike
- combat reflexes,
 -- vexing flanker
  --- adaptable flanker
- combat focus
 -- combat stability
  --- combat vigor
   ---- combat strike

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 01:45:07 AM by wotmaniac »

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2010, 01:47:17 AM »
well, a one level dip provides a +3 bonus to AC effective level, so it is a really good idea to at least dip it.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2010, 02:09:31 AM »
well, a one level dip provides a +3 bonus to AC effective level, so it is a really good idea to at least dip it.
as mentioned in the OP, PrC dips are not allowed (must completely advance to completion before going in to another).

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt