Author Topic: KRIEGSSPIEL: Is it a better Wargame-engine than d20 miniatures  (Read 3112 times)

yellowdingo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Kriegsspiel was developed for officer training in the development of command/battlefield experience by Baron Von Reisswitz in the 19th Century. I am looking at converting it to a Miniatures/Wargame Scifi setting replacing the basis d20 RPG with actual planetary skirmish for my RUUL 6 setting.

This will take the game from RPG to Warfare for territory, resources, ect.

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
Re: KRIEGSSPIEL: Is it a better Wargame-engine than d20 miniatures
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 02:50:33 AM »
So, tabletop Warcraft then? :p
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

brokenoakleys

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 05:20:14 PM »
Slightly off topic, but I recall reading that some prussian that invented a tabletop wargame was subjected to so much ridicule from his felllow officers that he committed suicide.   :o  Is this the guy?  Not that it matters for miniature conversion purposes.

Tema69

• Bi-Curious George
  • Dedicated WW2 GM.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 05:26:42 PM »
"Quit? Noooo, I guess I'll just kill me'self."

Wow. Serious emotional issues, I guess.  :-\
Tema69. 69 marks my affiliation to the ex-youth house on Jagtvej 69 in Copehagen, Denmark, a place where there used to be room for everyone until it was sold.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=997.0
The Self-Proclaimed General Pulp/SteamPunk/Occult/Nazi thread! Drop by.

http://tema69.deviantart.com/
My DeviantArt account. Check by the gallery and drop a comment.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2528.0
Download my "Action Movie Realism" Rules* as well as my WW2 Supplement.
P.E.A.C.H.
* Available as a .pdf!

yellowdingo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 11:26:45 PM »
Slightly off topic, but I recall reading that some prussian that invented a tabletop wargame was subjected to so much ridicule from his felllow officers that he committed suicide.   :o  Is this the guy?  Not that it matters for miniature conversion purposes.

Conceivably you refer to von Reisswitz (the Son) Von Reisswitz the elder invented the game and died..von Reisswitz the younger continued peddling the game to the aristocracy - and achieved popularity with the Kaisar and with the Russians. He was so up himself after "re-inventing" the game and beating a few generals at it that they promoted him sideways to the Prussian eqivalent of Nome, Alaska. His fellow officers (friends and fellow wargamers) decided their wargaming future was bleak. Von Reisswitz's game vanished into obscurity and was discovered by some civillian who claimed it was created by unknown sources in the German millitary and peddled it to the civillian game audience.

Latter some General gets rid of the rule book and dice and focuses (with battlefield experienced referees) on real issues such as fog of war, friction of war, and control and communication. Thus the superior free kriegsspiel emerges and is adopted by the US Government for its own millitary training needs.

yellowdingo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 11:40:00 PM »
THe Miniatures were abandoned in favour of little blocks describing batallions, companies, and other large battlefield groups - this is good for space battles layed out on maps of the solarsystem - but as we reduce to a Tactical game involving Kill teams we can move back to Miniatures.

The Game itself is less about dice and fixed rules but rather about your capacity to issue orders across a battlefield to troops you cannot see, who may have all ready been wiped out, and who may have been forgotton about, are in the wrong position - you dont realize you are bombing your own troops until later after you and the President have got done high fiving each others on your victory over...and your scout reports in that you killed your own men.

Fog of War isnt just about loosing track of your troops on the battlefield and getting them killed - in one case some troops (NAPOLEONIC) were so stressed and unaware of their surroundings that they parked their baggage train down the middle of their forces and were taken by surprise when the guys on the up hill side came under attack and couldnt get support from the other half of the army less than ten feet from them.