Author Topic: SEM00243: A Salon on Gameology  (Read 5535 times)

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
SEM00243: A Salon on Gameology
« on: June 16, 2008, 03:25:50 PM »
Starting a new thread just for this topic:

The Brilliant Gameologists will host a Salon on Gameology at GenCon.  This facilitated discussion (salon as in the 18th century term as in "A periodic gathering of people of social or intellectual distinction.") will take place from 5:30-7:30 in the lobby of Embassy Suites on Thursday or Friday.  There's some nice space there (that we may have to fight for, but it could be doable with persistence) but it's also the Embassy Suites "Happy Hour" where they have drinks and snacks- technically for guests of the suites, but that's where we're staying so as long as we're not too obvious about it, we can hand over our keycards and participants could help themselves to the bar line.

So it's a good venue and we can have our moderated, official discussion for two hours and then either go out to eat with anyone who is interested or go up to our room for the actual hangout, fun piece.

We are taking suggestions for topics/questions for discussion though could easily fill the time with just what we have now, but since this will be "moderated" we want outside ideas as well.

Also, if this is something you will attend, let us know so we know how many chairs and how big of a table to steal. 

EDIT:
This event is now an official GenCon seminar!

Salon: An 18th Century term meaning "A periodic gathering of people of social or intellectual distinction." Gameology: The study of games and the people who play them. The Brilliant Gameologists Podcast: Educated type folks who talk about the science of games, gamers, and gaming. If this sounds of interest to you, join the hosts of the in a facilitated "roundtable" discussion about gameology, the industry, and nerd-a-rific, jargon-tastic fun.

When: 8/14/08 6:00-7:00 PM

Where: Embassy Suites Coronation I
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 07:38:07 PM by Meg »
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
Re: The Gameology Salon: GenCon Event
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 07:56:37 PM »
<bump>  This should be an event of incredible awesomeness, not just Josh, Meg and Zeke doing a show episode.

Although I have no ideas of my own to contribute...

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: SEM00243: A Salon on Gameology
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:10:12 AM »
Now that it's an official GenCon seminar, will I need access to GenCon itself to come?  It turns out I won't be able to attend GenCon itself, but I was going to be able to come down to meet you all.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
  • "I do not exist," we faithfully insist.
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 12:48:00 AM »
Now that it's an official GenCon seminar, will I need access to GenCon itself to come?  It turns out I won't be able to attend GenCon itself, but I was going to be able to come down to meet you all.

Officially, I believe you'd need a pass and to have generic tickets/have pre-registered. If you're just quiet about it and speak with the organizers personally, I doubt anyone would care. If you need generic tickets, though, I could probably get some for you, aswell as let you borrow a necklace that would read "GenCon '08, Woodrow Hood" long enough for you to get in the door.
Mine's been a yard carefully surface-tended, foxes burrowed underground.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 01:19:32 AM »
Yeah, see I can only head down for a night or two, because I can't take the days off work.  So maybe I could get in that way?
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 01:47:32 AM »
All of our seminars will be in the Embassy Suites, so there won't be anyone checking badges.  There will be just normal people in the hotel (which we'll scare.. oh yes, we'll scare...)  To get into the vendor hall they spot everything (very inconspicuously too-- really good job) but I've never seen anyone check for seminars. 

For the seminars that don't cost anything, I've never even been to any that have collected tickets, and since this one went in the day the prereg tickets ended, you definitely don't need them.  Generic tickets cost money, so you don't need anything for this.  Just show up, we'd love to have you. 
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 01:59:44 AM »
Yay!

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
  • "I do not exist," we faithfully insist.
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 10:18:18 PM »
dman, were you there? I thought it was a really good discussion. However, after its 'scheduled' time was up, 90% of the people stood right up and walked out, despite how unfinished it clearly was. Two hours instead of one would have been nice.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 10:20:04 PM by MFLABIAS »
Mine's been a yard carefully surface-tended, foxes burrowed underground.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Dragon Snack Games and Entertainment
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 03:51:17 PM »
Yeah, of the 6 "starter" questions on my sheet, we only got to 3 of them and we just danced around one of those...
Visit my Message Boards (they're strangely familiar) and my Blog...

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 02:39:37 PM »
I think that in the future I would like to clean this up and narrow the topic a bit. The idea the three of us were most excited about was the "but you could have had MORE fun" angle. We did talk aobut that a bit in the seminar, and I think it is a dog that will hunt.

FraserRonald

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Alliegance: Beer
    • Sword's Edge Publishing
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 08:42:02 PM »
dman, were you there? I thought it was a really good discussion. However, after its 'scheduled' time was up, 90% of the people stood right up and walked out, despite how unfinished it clearly was. Two hours instead of one would have been nice.
Guilty as charged. In my (and Rob's) defence, we had made plans for dinner and were meeting tham at 6.

That was until douchebaggery was uncovered and plans changed to the party balcony. I call that fate . . . and the power of the growler.

rivercityjessie

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 02:31:28 AM »
The salon was only the start of an awesome night, but I do agree that it would have been awesome if it was 2 hours so we could have gotten to all of the topics.