Author Topic: Optimizing Lich's Phylactery  (Read 12771 times)

mans0011

• Curious George
  • Too much Aizen Hate to go around....
Optimizing Lich's Phylactery
« on: March 08, 2010, 10:15:18 PM »
I could be wrong, but I don't think there's much in the way of optimizing your Lich's phylactery.

What are the best items (I'm thinking NOT something you wear...)

Where is the best place to hide it? (probably NOT your house/tower/whatever)

What are the best spells to keep it secret, keep it safe? (secret chest? etc)

thoughts?
OOC-well for that matter he could just ride on my sword, that's about 15' ;)
OOC - That's what SHE said!  But, otherwise, that works for me, if you guys are willing.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Optimizing Lich's Phylactery
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 10:19:14 PM »
The major issue is that it can be found with contact other plane (I'd ask vecna, personally, he seems like a pretty cool guy to ask about things related to secrets and liches), and that LM sets out what stats are allowable for it.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

mans0011

• Curious George
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 10:20:45 PM »
The major issue is that it can be found with contact other plane (I'd ask vecna, personally, he seems like a pretty cool guy to ask about things related to secrets and liches), and that LM sets out what stats are allowable for it.

hmm, so no way to hide it from Pun-pun or other divinities? :(
OOC - That's what SHE said!  But, otherwise, that works for me, if you guys are willing.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 10:22:33 PM »
You could surgically implant it into a small child. That'd slow down those goody-two-shoes adventurers.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 10:33:01 PM »
Generally, I'd say lock it in a box which is a trap that casts Nystul's Magic Aura, Misdirection, and all the other anti-divination spells you can think of on both the box and the phylactery. Then, paint the box white and drop it on the Positive Energy Plane, where visibility is 5 feet, IIRC. A lich is probably capable of surviving the damage for the round or two during which they'll exist on the plane after respawning, so I don't really see any downsides. Also, it really helps to have non-technical defenses. Construct an elaborate, trap-filled tomb-fortress, ensure that rumors about it and the fantastic wealth contained therein, etc. Make it so most people don't actually BOTHER trying to figure out where the phylactery is, because they assume they ALREADY know where it is and it just doesn't occur to them to look elsewhere. Oh, and make sure your head minion carries an amulet that you act overprotective and mysterious about.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

mans0011

• Curious George
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 10:37:31 PM »
You could surgically implant it into a small child. That'd slow down those goody-two-shoes adventurers.

True. I'm mostly worried about hiding it from:

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:39:35 PM by mans0011 »

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 10:42:51 PM »
Get someone to cast animate object on it and then Temporal stasis or imprisonment so no force or effect can harm it? Have to figure out some way of stopping people dispelling it.  

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 10:44:08 PM »
You're pretty much screwed on those last two until you obtain Divine Rank yourself. And even then, Manipulate Form beats you. Pun-Pun can just will that he knows the location of your phylactery, and also that you are now wearing red. Then, he would will that your phylactery ceased to exist, and also that you were wearing black. Finally, you would realize that actually you aren't wearing anything, and are giving a lecture on Ancient Egyptian Algebra to a bunch of laughing college students.

Otherwise, yeah, it's just a matter of slapping on every anti-divination in the book and crafting some Epic spells of your own if that's an option. The Positive Energy Plane Plan probably works for most adventurers, though. Oh, and if Epic Spells ARE an option, learn Fragmented Phylactery from Champions of Ruin (IIRC) and don't tell anyone that you have an arbitrarily large number of phylacteries, all of which must be destroyed to destroy you.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 10:53:14 PM »
Getting a demiplane of limited size (Genesis, primarily) and putting the Phylactery in it, and filling it with Dimensional Locks (Cast a Delayed Dimensional Lock last so you can plane shift out before the entire demiplane is filled, or sit near the last dim lock in a ESA'd AMF when you plane-shift out) should be a pretty good way of keeping people out. When you reform, repeat the process you used to get out last time to get out again.

mans0011

• Curious George
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 10:55:44 PM »
Getting a demiplane of limited size (Genesis, primarily) and putting the Phylactery in it, and filling it with Dimensional Locks (Cast a Delayed Dimensional Lock last so you can plane shift out before the entire demiplane is filled, or sit near the last dim lock in a ESA'd AMF when you plane-shift out) should be a pretty good way of keeping people out. When you reform, repeat the process you used to get out last time to get out again.

I don't understand bits of this.

What is ESA'd Anti Magic Field?

I guess when I understand that, I'll understand the process?

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 10:59:02 PM »
Extraordinary Spell Aim. The Antimagic Field (AMF) would have a hole around you so you could still cast spells. That way, you could use the AMF to shut down one of the Dimensional Locks, allowing you to Plane Shift out of the demiplane. The idea is that you can't plane shift into a Dimensional Lock, so it'd be very difficult for them to reach your phylactery, even if they knew where it was.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 11:01:03 PM »
Oh, and buy a phylactery of faith or two and secure them with tons of defenses as well.  If the question is worded too vaguely...
Planetouched Handbook

mans0011

• Curious George
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 11:08:13 PM »
Oh, and buy a phylactery of faith or two and secure them with tons of defenses as well.  If the question is worded too vaguely...

hahahah!

also, is there any merit in keeping the phylactery on my body? and maybe casting a contingency to if I die, planeshift it or something?

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 11:20:43 PM »
And a phylactery of change, too. That's pretty clever, TML.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 11:21:39 PM »
Oh, and buy a phylactery of faith or two and secure them with tons of defenses as well.  If the question is worded too vaguely...

hahahah!

also, is there any merit in keeping the phylactery on my body? and maybe casting a contingency to if I die, planeshift it or something?
TBH, not really.
Planetouched Handbook

mans0011

• Curious George
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 11:32:12 PM »

hahahah!

TBH, not really.

That's what I thought. Hmmm, perhaps a reason to have Leadership and a strong cohort, maybe a mule whose job is to keep it secret, keep it safe.

And a phylactery of change, too. That's pretty clever, TML.

TML?

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 12:03:09 AM »
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 12:06:56 AM »
Planetouched Handbook

mans0011

• Curious George
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 12:10:07 AM »
Is there any early-entry cheese for Lich?

I have access to wish economy, I've also got no restrictions on mundane wealth, but not necessarily the time. Also, I don't need to worry about crafting feats/xp costs.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 12:23:48 AM »
Cleric 3/Walker in the waste 10 gets you dry lich at the cost of 2 lost caster levels. plus you have 6 phylacteries. Not early entry as you can get into normal lich at level 11 but i don't think you take the LA so its better in the long run.