Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Have At Thee!  (Read 117040 times)

asdfjkl

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Have At Thee!
« Reply #840 on: March 27, 2010, 06:27:05 PM »
A201:
upon rereading the feat from multiple sources.... note that feat specifies Charisma-related checks ..... Smite/ Slippers of Battledancing/ Divine Might, etc... all use Cha but are not "Checks" .... however if you have a Level of Marshal with one of the following:

Art of War: Bonus on disarm, trip, bull rush, and sunder attempts. 
Determined Caster: Bonus on rolls to overcome spell resistance.
Motivate Constitution: Bonus on Constitution checks and Constitution-based skill checks.

they would allow you to gain a +2 bonus on them .... Motivate Constitution comes into play with Diamond Mind Strike manuvers Insightful Strike or Greater Insightful Strike(use a Concentration check to determine damage)

otherwise .... without making them into a "Check"(usually a Skill or Attribute check), Nymphs Kiss will not give a Boost to Cha based Attack or Damage rolls ....

:D

Define "Check". We all know of Ability Checks, Level Checks, Caster Level Checks, but these are only part of them. A Charisma-related check isn't a Charisma Check, and also includes any die affected by CHA by any ruling I know (or at the very least, every d20 roll so affected).

asdfjkl

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #841 on: March 27, 2010, 06:30:36 PM »
q203 If you succeed a save against a spell from an unknown source;
 do you know it happened?
 do you know what it was?
 do you know where it was from?
 what if it's (Su)?

q204 How can I avoid concentrating to maintain a (Su) affect?

asdfjkl

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #842 on: March 27, 2010, 06:39:49 PM »

q204 How can I avoid concentrating to maintain a (Su) affect?

A204 I don't think you can "avoid" it; most of the usual suspects only work on spells or SLAs, but here are some that might help.

Swift Concentration skill trick if you can convince your DM that SU affects are covered.

p90 Complete Scoundrel
Benefit: You can maintain concentration on a spell or similiar effect as a swift action.

Schism would also work.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #843 on: March 27, 2010, 06:46:50 PM »
q205 Can Violent Thrust Telekenisis be used to deliver a Death Attack? AKA is Violent Thrust a "attack with a melee weapon"?

@asdfjkl
thanks!

malaspina

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Braaaaaains
« Reply #844 on: March 27, 2010, 06:56:13 PM »
Q206: What are some broken uses of Alter Self and Polymorph? (since I don't seem to understand why they are considered so awesome, I thought I'd better ask even if it sounds stupid)

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #845 on: March 27, 2010, 07:23:39 PM »
q203 If you succeed a save against a spell from an unknown source;
 do you know it happened?
 do you know what it was?
 do you know where it was from?
 what if it's (Su)?
yes, you know what type of spell it was (mind-affecting, etc), no, irrelevant
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #846 on: March 27, 2010, 08:11:04 PM »
Q206: What are some broken uses of Alter Self and Polymorph? (since I don't seem to understand why they are considered so awesome, I thought I'd better ask even if it sounds stupid)

Alter Self, by its lonesome, isn't THAT awesome. However, if your character has the Outsider type, it can change you into outsiders - some of which are incredibly broken at 5 HD (Dwarven Ancestor comes to mind. Even if it later becomes useless, by level 5 +10 to NA is stupidly useful).

Polymorph is as useful as your knowledge of monsters. Popular 10HD forms include the Pyro/Cryo hydra (30d6 worth of damage once every 1d3 rounds? Yes please!). A little research will get you plenty far. The Chronotyrin is another example of why Polymorph is crazy awesome. Types/subtypes, per the errata, actually change when you polymorph - so you have access to pretty much any type that's not undead or construct. While the debate STILL rages on, by polymorphing into creatures with innate spellcasting you can cast spells outside your list...

The list of benefits goes on. Find your pick of a broken monster and enjoy it. Watch your DM cry as you bring a Beholder into play on the player's side.  :smirk
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Fluffles

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #847 on: March 27, 2010, 08:22:07 PM »
Alter self get worse with Reserves of Strength and Assume Supernatural Ability.

Alter Self + RoS means you can AS into a form of max HD equal to your caster level, and you can pump your caster level up into the 80s. Polymorph makes it so it can't be higher than your HD.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #848 on: March 27, 2010, 08:25:21 PM »

Alter Self + RoS means you can AS into a form of max HD equal to your caster level, and you can pump your caster level up into the 80s. Polymorph makes it so it can't be higher than your HD.

What doesn't get substantially more awesome with Reserves of Strength?

Also, check the True Arcane Dilettante thread.

Cry in horror.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

malaspina

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Braaaaaains
« Reply #849 on: March 27, 2010, 08:44:19 PM »
Kuroimaken, Fluffles, thank you.

edit: although, excuse me for my being slow to understand, but in the SRD entry for Polymorph I read: "It also gains all extraordinary  special attacks possessed by the form but does not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form or any supernatural  or spell-like abilities. ".

Now, for example, a Beholder's eye rays are listed as Su, and even if I couldn't find a descriptor for a Pyro\Cryohydra's special attacks, they seem to be a breath weapon, which defaults to Su if not stated otherwise. How do you get those?!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 08:59:12 PM by malaspina »

Fluffles

« Reply #850 on: March 27, 2010, 08:54:51 PM »

What doesn't get substantially more awesome with Reserves of Strength?

Wings of Flurry  :P

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #851 on: March 27, 2010, 08:58:42 PM »
Q 207: Are there any good rules on psycoplanar combat... fight in dreams or mindscapes?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

malaspina

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Braaaaaains
« Reply #852 on: March 27, 2010, 09:00:34 PM »
Q 208: (reposted from an edit for greater clarity) In the SRD entry for Polymorph I read: "It also gains all extraordinary  special attacks possessed by the form but does not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form or any supernatural  or spell-like abilities. ".

Now, for example, a Beholder's eye rays are listed as Su, and even if I couldn't find a descriptor for a Pyro\Cryohydra's special attacks, they seem to be a breath weapon, which defaults to Su if not stated otherwise. How do you get those?!

Fluffles

« Reply #853 on: March 27, 2010, 09:07:24 PM »
Q 208: (reposted from an edit for greater clarity) In the SRD entry for Polymorph I read: "It also gains all extraordinary  special attacks possessed by the form but does not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form or any supernatural  or spell-like abilities. ".

Savage species has a feat called, "Assume Supernatural Ability." Take it lots of times. Win D&D!

asdfjkl

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #854 on: March 27, 2010, 09:33:21 PM »
Q 207: Are there any good rules on psycoplanar combat... fight in dreams or mindscapes?

A207 the rules for fighting in dreamscapes are in Heroes of Horror p54.

The rules for mindscapes are in Hyperconscious (3rd party) and I think some of the stuff for Dreamscarred Press deals with mindscapes/psychic combat.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #855 on: March 27, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
Seconding Hyperconscious. There is a whole Chapter on it. And plenty of support with classes/feats/powers/items.

q209 Psionic equivalent to Alter Self. Does it exist?
EDIT: to clarify on 209, I'm looking for a way to get my Psi Crystal to look like people.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 10:10:28 PM by bearsarebrown »

asdfjkl

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #856 on: March 28, 2010, 12:46:08 AM »
Seconding Hyperconscious. There is a whole Chapter on it. And plenty of support with classes/feats/powers/items.

q209 Psionic equivalent to Alter Self. Does it exist?
EDIT: to clarify on 209, I'm looking for a way to get my Psi Crystal to look like people.

A209 Not officially unless you know a spell-to-power erudite.

LargePrime

• Curious George
« Reply #857 on: March 28, 2010, 01:49:58 AM »
Q210 What are the ways for an Artificer to speed casting infusions beyond action points and RAPID INFUSION (MoE (The other MOE!) 51)?  Also thanks for previous help!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 01:53:45 AM by LargePrime »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #858 on: March 28, 2010, 01:53:13 AM »
Bump this question...
Q 186 I know of Magic in the Blood, which is good for racial creatures that get more uses of their spell-like abilities (ie gnomes), but what about a feat that gives you additional spell-like abilities per day when you got them as a feat, or anything like that? Aside from Eberron's "use 2 action points to gain an additional use per day".

And add this one...
Q 194 My character has come across a smithy that can add a +1 minor alterable quality or a +2 major alterable quality to his weapon. Where is that from? And can the minor be put on a short sword to make it into a rapier, or do I need to take the +2?
As far as I know, the first doesn't exist.

Dunno what the second is either.
Might be a 3rd party compatible book, but I don't know. I do know I saw it before, just can't remember for the life of me where.
DM has admitted that it is a 3rd Party book, but doesn't remember the name of it. He just happened to see it on a free online pdf. It'd really help if anyone could lend a hand finding this book, and weapon ability.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

LargePrime

• Curious George
« Reply #859 on: March 28, 2010, 01:57:59 AM »
Bump this question...
Q 186 I know of Magic in the Blood, which is good for racial creatures that get more uses of their spell-like abilities (ie gnomes), but what about a feat that gives you additional spell-like abilities per day when you got them as a feat, or anything like that? Aside from Eberron's "use 2 action points to gain an additional use per day".

And add this one...
Q 194 My character has come across a smithy that can add a +1 minor alterable quality or a +2 major alterable quality to his weapon. Where is that from? And can the minor be put on a short sword to make it into a rapier, or do I need to take the +2?
As far as I know, the first doesn't exist.

Dunno what the second is either.
Might be a 3rd party compatible book, but I don't know. I do know I saw it before, just can't remember for the life of me where.
DM has admitted that it is a 3rd Party book, but doesn't remember the name of it. He just happened to see it on a free online pdf. It'd really help if anyone could lend a hand finding this book, and weapon ability.
A194? Google says "Arms & Armor" has "alterable quality"