Author Topic: Dominant Ideal+Synchronicity Nova, extra standard actions for only 1 pp.  (Read 14970 times)

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Even if you are not abusing infinite actions with a metamind you can still get a shit load on turn 0 each battle, and as long as you have pp recharge you can do it every battle. With sense danger and synchronicity action loops your psion will win every battle before it even begins.

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
Time to kill a kitten..."Psionics is Broken".
Though seriously, a good catch.

"Time is on my side. Yes it is." - Ardent.
:p
"There's more to apocalypse than running around like a maniac you know"
-B. M. Evilwizardington.
blogging at disasters made in china

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Even if you are not abusing infinite actions with a metamind you can still get a shit load on turn 0 each battle, and as long as you have pp recharge you can do it every battle. With sense danger and synchronicity action loops your psion will win every battle before it even begins.

So does this indeed beat even the most uber of mages?

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email

Well...an SCM can emulate basically the entire trick and then some, so not really.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies

Well...an SCM can emulate basically the entire trick and then some, so not really.

It can beat anyone not using this trick(except mythals, elemental weirds, pun-pun, and a few others)

But, well, emulating isn't very difficult for a mage. So yeah, he still wins.
"There's more to apocalypse than running around like a maniac you know"
-B. M. Evilwizardington.
blogging at disasters made in china

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email

How...?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email

How...?

Shadow Miracles can copy this entire trick.

Planar Shepherds still be this though. I don't care if you can get 388 actions, they can take Infinite.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email

How...?

Planar Shepherds still be this though. I don't care if you can get 388 actions, they can take Infinite.

I thought that carried the fatal flaw of being under the same auspices as Time Stop.  If not...I may just have to see how I can abuse the trick (most likely Planar Bubble, which is one of my fav's to persist anyway).
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email

How...?

I thought that carried the fatal flaw of being under the same auspices as Time Stop.  If not...I may just have to see how I can abuse the trick (most likely Planar Bubble, which is one of my fav's to persist anyway).

Advancing a time trait to match Xorait doesn't impose the same restrictions as Time Stop. Planar Shepherds  can murder things freely from the safety of their Planar Bubble class feature.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
I disagree since its hyper-accelerated time just as time stop emulates.

There are no rules governing interaction between planes with different time streams. Since all the spells which emulate different time streams (time stop, temporal sphere, etc) say that they don't interact then it would make sense that it would be the same with planar bubble.

When there are no rules for something you should go to the next closest thing.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Could also just say Xoriat isn't allowed, since the prime fiction states the reason nothing ever appears from xoriat is it is held too far away to have any effect on people.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
so, every morning, you use these tricks to multiply your pp with 2x, where x is rounds used. an hour later, you have 4,1495155688809929585124078636912e+180 times the power pint you stated the day with. this is the amount of standard action you can get on the second round. have a nice day.
Yuck. Does anyone actually allow these powers? Psionics action-novaing always made me sad. Can I get you to enter this in a detailed manner in the Dirty Trick Handbook II? That way I can enter it into my fixes. I never feel like wading through these sorts of things. This post assumes a PP recharge setup rigt? A PM would be sufficient as well.

Its called sense danger. It is, in fact, better than foresight in many ways because it technically allows you to take an immediate action before anyone else has even acted meaning no one else can use immediate actions and you are always the first to take your turn...synchronicity or temporal acceleration anyone?
Same as above.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Well sense danger itself isn't terribly broken. When you combine it with synchronicity tricks it becomes nasty. Without such things its merely the same as foresight. This is why synchronicity is on my ban list, its the root of the problem. If/when you ban/nerf don't go after everything used in the combination, just the root.

I never use it but I do have a banned/restricted list. Synchronicity is on the restricted list and includes the added text "this power cannot be manifested more than once per round," that balances it out. You can still schism or quicken a synchronicity to get that extra free action but it doesn't allow you to do anything super ridiculous with it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 05:45:48 PM by Azrael »

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
 :)
I think non-Ardents can do this.

Torc of Power Pres - gets 1pp discount
Earth Sense feat, Earth Power feat, Wis 13, Con 13 - gets 1pp discount
Midnight Aug feat from Moi - can get only a 1pp discount on a level 1 power, and you have to augment it by 1pp first, before getting the discount
all together, the Mid Aug trickiness has the mandatory 1pp aug, covered by one of the other two discount
Linked Power metapsi - needs the psifocus blown to work, and then recharged via Psi Meditation feat

So that's 6 feats = ouch, but doable. And the Torc is both pricey early, and hard to get 'til later.
I'd want a Hustle Linked Hustle Twinned (and discounted) custom item, getting extra Move Actions in there, to get extra PsiFocuses to blow.

Doesn't get an Exponential Synchro loop going, just a big linear pile of extra actions.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 06:08:38 PM by awaken DM golem »

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
As far as I can see, the real hurdle for syncronicity novas is this rule from the section on readied actions in the Player's Handbook:

Quote from: Player's Handbook

So, if you have multiple readied actions, the moment you use one, the others are wiped out. 

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
As far as I can see, the real hurdle for syncronicity novas is this rule from the section on readied actions in the Player's Handbook:

Quote from: Player's Handbook

So, if you have multiple readied actions, the moment you use one, the others are wiped out. 
That's the general rule, the specific of Synchronicity trumps that, since you normally have to declare your intended readied action to go off, and synchronicity allows you to do whatever, whenever. You can normally only ready one to begin with, as well, with no such clause listed in Synchronicity.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2010, 12:08:32 PM »
Well, specific only trumps general when specific disagrees with general.  If specific is silent on an issue general covers, general holds true.  

Syncronicity overrides several rules for readied actions, but that isn't one of them.  

I can't find a clause anywhere specifically saying you can only have one action readied at a time.  You generally couldn't as a result of the action used to ready the second action wiping out the first readied action, but that's a consequence, not a rule. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 12:33:16 PM by Maat_Mons »

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Well, specific only trumps general when specific disagrees with general.  If specific is silent on an issue general covers, general holds true. 

Syncronicity overrides several rules for readied actions, but that isn't one of them. 

I can't find a clause anywhere specifically saying you can only have one action readied at a time.  You generally couldn't as a result of the action used to ready the second action wiping out the first readied action, but that's a consequence, not a rule. 
I'm also failing to see how your claim that a readied action cancels all other readied actions is interpreted. That was my point, traditionally you could only ready one action because of action limits in a round. You can only ready an action as a standard action normally, not multiple actions, but a single one. How does this negate the ability to have multiple readied actions as a result of multiple actions being available to use to ready?
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
So, would taking an AoO, which is a special action as well (same section of the SRD, even) prevent you from taking a readied action you were waiting to use? If you readied an action to shoot a wizard when he began casting a spell, and his minion attempted to grapple you in the meantime, and you kicked him via your Improved Unarmed Strike feat, or however you wish to do it, would that negate that you were still waiting for the wizard to cast?

Unrelated: You don't specify trigger actions for synchronicity. They happen whenever.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]