Author Topic: Monk Poll  (Read 6666 times)

Hallack

• Hong Kong
Re: Monk Poll
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2010, 06:09:34 PM »
Yep, definitely like Monk dipping for melee characters especially if going lightly armored route.  UA styles just makes it that much more fun and useful.
Placeholder - T'tosc

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2010, 06:13:23 PM »
Most games i play in have a - level of optimization. They could make a wizard Tier 7 or 8 and think they are doing well, yes i know that is off the scale but it is that bad.

So i normally take intentionally gimped classes to optimize a little or whatever fits thematically for what i'm in the mood for.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2010, 06:37:21 PM »
I often use the 2-level monk dip, but for a different reason than what most people have posted:
Drunken master 4. You can use long improvised weapons, and your threatened radius becomes as big as them. War hulk means you can carry a massive(aka long) weapon because of the strength boosts, and you can attack everyone within your threatened radius.

... unlimited reach.... omg.
:facepalm :sparta

Niice.
Throw in Titan Bloodline, and make that "massive long weapon" into a flurry weapon.
Call it the Worf Has Phasers build.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2010, 07:19:13 PM »
Monk 1/psychic warrior 19 or monk 2/psychic warrior 18

With tashalatora you get flurry and monk's unarmed damage progression, plus wis to ac

And with greater mighty wallop (via umd wand or fellow party member) your damage per attack is 12d8, or 54 average damage per attack. (I stop at 12d8 since that is where the dmg p28 chart ends and thus my mind the end of pratical optimization and the beginning of TO begins) .

plus all the goodies of psychic warrior

+1 million, on everything :D
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Zombieboots

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Ska-ull
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2010, 03:00:29 AM »
Moonwarded Ranger =P

Monk 2 is about it's all good for: Imp. Unarmed, Flurry, Wis do AC, Evasion, +3 to all saves. Even in "Monk builds" I usually gather three more levels of something else before prestiging into a "Monk PrC" but never more then 2 levels of actual monk.
Ah! Maddness. Thank you.[spoiler][/spoiler]

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2010, 10:24:22 AM »
I often use the 2-level monk dip, but for a different reason than what most people have posted:
Drunken master 4. You can use long improvised weapons, and your threatened radius becomes as big as them. War hulk means you can carry a massive(aka long) weapon because of the strength boosts, and you can attack everyone within your threatened radius.

... unlimited reach.... omg.
:facepalm :sparta

Niice.
Throw in Titan Bloodline, and make that "massive long weapon" into a flurry weapon.
Call it the Worf Has Phasers build.

i usually restrict myself from using war hulk in med-power games, due to the huge power this gets.

with hulking hurler, you suddenly become the master of improvised weaponry.
"There's more to apocalypse than running around like a maniac you know"
-B. M. Evilwizardington.
blogging at disasters made in china