Author Topic: Dragon Shaman feat options?  (Read 8460 times)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Dragon Shaman feat options?
« on: February 26, 2010, 01:39:34 PM »
I'm in the middle of applying to a Forgotten Realms game with limited sources (races are limited to PHB, subraces thereof, and Races of Faerun) and decided to try a Dragon Shaman.  I'm using a Stonehunter Gnome for race (flavor reasons and the Con bonus is nice) with Copper as the Totem Dragon.  We're starting at level 4.  While I have all the Breath channeling feats and Metabreath feats I could grab at later levels (and naturally Double Draconic Aura at 12), I'm not sure what to do for the feats at 1 and 3.

The allowed sources so far are "Core, PHB2, Complete series, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, Players Guide to Faerun, Faiths and Pantheons, Races of Faerun, Magic Item Compendium, Unearthed Arcana, Dragon Magic, Dungeonscape"  Races Of series is fine so long as we don't use the new races in those books (no Spellscales, Dragonborn, Goliaths, Illumans, etc.)  Obviously, material from other campaign settings is out.  The DM has stated no psionics or ToB.

In case it matters, here are my ability scores before the 1 point from levelling up, but after racial adjustments.  I got a sweet roll for just about anything:
Str: 14
Dex: 17
Con: 20
Int: 12
Wis: 9
Cha: 17
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: Dragon Shaman feat options?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 01:40:39 PM »
Entangling Exhaustion.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 01:42:34 PM »
Entangling Exhahaustion.
Entangling Exhalation requires a breath weapon, which doesn't come until 4th level.  Trust me, that's my 6th level feat, but I need levels 1 and 3.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 01:47:58 PM »
When i was working on one i went with BFC so maybe combat expertise and imp. trip with a tripping reach weapon.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 02:04:41 PM »
When i was working on one i went with BFC so maybe combat expertise and imp. trip with a tripping reach weapon.
I don't think that will be a good idea, since the race is Gnome.  I'd end up on my face more oftenthan my foes would, I think.  I'd have a net +2 bonus on my trip checks (+2 Str, +4 Improved Trip, -4 for Small)

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 02:14:10 PM »
true wasn't thinking about the size penalty, just remembered working on something similar. Though I still think a reach weapon is a good choice. If you plan on taking a PrC then prereq. feats, if not maybe some of the save/skill boosters to shore up your weaknesses or enhance your strengths. Can't go wrong with Imp. Init. though.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 04:59:49 PM »
First of all, see if you can sneak in tome of battle. Martial study will give you and extra class skill and a maneuver and give you access to martial stance.
Second, you can pick a feat that is generally considered good.

Wild cohort will give you a companion.
Ability focus on your breath weapon.
Improved initiative is always welcome.
Power Attack and two handed weapon to dish out some damage (since size isn't the issue here).
Knowledge Devotion or another devotion feat (animal iirc is quite good).
Wild/Hidden Talent.
Delay Potion from complete mage can be used for certain cool tricks.
Regional feats from player's guide to faerun can be taken only at first level, only once and are usually quite powerful.

Cool idea: taking the 'shamanic invocation' alternative class feature gives you a lesser invocation (yay) and a CASTER LEVEL ^^ which means you can get obtain familiar (double yay).

Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 09:15:49 PM »
I'd say improved initiative and power attack. Ability Focus (Breath Weapon) would require him already having the breath weapon.

I have a question, if dragonfire adept is available, how come you're playing a dragon shaman?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 09:36:16 PM »
I'd say improved initiative and power attack. Ability Focus (Breath Weapon) would require him already having the breath weapon.

I have a question, if dragonfire adept is available, how come you're playing a dragon shaman?
Because I want to, naturally (actually, Dragon Magic was allowed on my request for more auras.  It wasn't originally in the accepted materials list).  I feel like doing the healing/support role for a change and decided to also do a bit of frontlining (51 hp at level 4 isn't bad.  I got good rolls).  Dragonfire Adept doesn't do those too well.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 02:27:27 AM »
Just curious.

Max out jump and wield a longspear and take leap attack, too.

...Really, am I the first person to mention turning this into a Hood build? Endarire, you need to step up your game.