Author Topic: Looking for help with a Sorcadin Gish  (Read 8380 times)

TangoZilla

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Looking for help with a Sorcadin Gish
« on: February 24, 2010, 07:14:06 PM »

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Re: Looking for help with a Sorcadin Gish
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 07:17:49 PM »
Well, assuming it isn't banned, a Polymorph spell is almost manditory IMO.  It duplicates more spells than that list will ever come close to seeing :D
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 07:18:27 PM »
Smiting Spell?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 07:19:06 PM »
polymorph chain is super helpful for melee, particularly draconic polymorph. Remember just because you can use it to destroy the world doesn't mean you have to.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 05:52:32 AM »
Try this, instead:
Race: Dream Dwarf (+2 CON, -2 DEX).
Using a pretty standard build here:
Paladin2/Sorcerer4/Spellsword1/Abjurant Champion4/Sacred Exorcist 1/Abjurant Champion +1/Runesmith 5/Sacred Exorcist +2
1 Law Devotion
3 Practiced Spellcaster (Sorcerer)
6 Combat Casting
9 Arcane Strike
12 Scribe Scroll
15 Elder Giant Magic
18 Supernatural Transformation (Limited Wish)
Heroics - Combat PanacheBurning RageBlade of BloodDragonskinGiant's WrathThunderlanceHeart of EarthArcane FusionFreezing FogArcane Spellsurge

It is not optimal, but it's a step in the right direction.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 07:33:40 AM »
Replace Draconic Might with Draconic Polymorph. It really is a must. Some version of the Bite of the XYZ is also useful.

TangoZilla

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 02:07:40 PM »
Polymorph spells aren't exactly banned, but generally frowned upon by the DM for at least their potential abuse. I otherwise would definitely be taking Draconic Polymorph :D I think a 'Bite of the Wereanimal' spell might make up for some of the loss of polymorph though. Any clever ways to make something like that a swift action?

@CantripN- That's a bunch of great suggestions I have to look into, much appreciated! I can't seem to find Burning Rage or Blade of Blood though, even though they sound very familiar (especially Blade of Blood =/)

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 02:12:45 PM »
Polymorph spells aren't exactly banned, but generally frowned upon by the DM for at least their potential abuse. I otherwise would definitely be taking Draconic Polymorph :D I think a 'Bite of the Wereanimal' spell might make up for some of the loss of polymorph though. Any clever ways to make something like that a swift action?

@CantripN- That's a bunch of great suggestions I have to look into, much appreciated! I can't seem to find Burning Rage or Blade of Blood though, even though they sound very familiar (especially Blade of Blood =/)
arcane spellsurge will let you swift action wereanimal yourself.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 02:16:19 PM »

arcane spellsurge will let you swift action wereanimal yourself.

Also, if he's letting Arcane Spellsurge in, you have a case for Polymorph for melee forms.  Also, if he's worried about abuse, kindly remind him an Incantatrix can stop time indefinitely.  As in fuck you greater deities, I win, because I have the time to make a way to win.  Just sayin'...
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 02:18:24 PM »
This should be of use finding spells: http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndLive/FindSpell.php

Those 2 spells are in PHB2 or Complete Mage.

Also, I gotta say that while CHA to Saves is nice, you'll only have what, a +4 to +8 at most levels you play in? You're better off without levels in Paladin. In Gestalt or when you have a MUCH higher Charisma, that's not the case, but in a normal game, full casting is much better.

From the 1 7th level spell, I'm taking you're starting at level 14, so a likely CHA is 18 + 3 (Level) + 6 (Item) = 27. That's only a +8 Mod.
A level in Prestige Bard would get you Sirine's Grace (Bard 4), Inner Beauty (Bard 4), Snowsong (Bard 6) and Nixie's Grace (Bard 6) among the other great bard spells, and those alone are worth +10 CHA, +14 DEX, +2 WIS, +13 Deflection to AC, +4 Morale to Attack, Fast Healing 1, +1d6 Cold Damage with Melee attacks, DR 5/Cold Iron. I say go with this PrC and keep full casting otherwise. If you need the BAB, use spells and items.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:34:13 PM by CantripN »
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

TangoZilla

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 02:59:15 PM »
Arcane Spellsurge is probably iffy on it's allowance into the game, though to be honest I haven't brought it up yet. If it does get used, might it be useful to obtain the dragonblood subtype to cast it as a swift, or take something like Invisible Spell so I can cast two spells/round (Or both)?

I was thinking that I would have Cha to saves, some resistance bonus from and item or Superior Resistance, and Cha to a save again through Ruin Delver's Fortune. To me this sounds like a pretty big bonus /shrug

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 03:08:09 PM »
Having a Dragonblood Subtype is ALWAYS a good idea. Especially for a Sorcerer.
And it is a good ability. It's just that having spell a full spell level higher is much, much more powerful, defensively AND offensively.

See Optimization Rules 1 & 4.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 03:14:58 PM »
Swap Combat Casting and Improved Initiative.  There's no reason to take the former at level 1, but there is reason to take the latter at level 1.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 04:07:33 PM »
If you really want Cha to saves, take Ruin Delver's Fortune.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 06:22:47 PM »
Too lazy to work it out, but IIRC there was a Sublime Chord/Swiftblade/Paladin that allowed you to get CHA to saves, to hit, twice to damage and to AC...

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 06:44:15 PM »
Too lazy to work it out, but IIRC there was a Sublime Chord/Swiftblade/Paladin that allowed you to get CHA to saves, to hit, twice to damage and to AC...

Going with Sublime Chord does work. Sadly, they have a distressingly small amount of spells per day and known. You can use Inspire Courage to get +12 Attack and +12+12d6 Damage, so there's that, I guess. You can add Snowflake Wardance for another +CHA to Attack, and Divine Might adds CHA to Damage, although I do prefer the Marshal's Master of Tactics Aura for that (since it doesn't cost an action and helps allies).

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 06:46:20 PM »

Going with Sublime Chord does work. Sadly, they have a distressingly small amount of spells per day and known. You can use Inspire Courage to get +12 Attack and +12+12d6 Damage, so there's that, I guess. You can add Snowflake Wardance for another +CHA to Attack, and Divine Might adds CHA to Damage, although I do prefer the Marshal's Master of Tactics Aura for that (since it doesn't cost an action and helps allies).

Slippers of Battledancing came in to play as well, since Swiftblade grants you the required move action.

TangoZilla

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 10:18:27 PM »
It's just that having spell a full spell level higher is much, much more powerful, defensively AND offensively.

Well, yeah. I understand that a full caster is pretty much always going to be more powerful :D But that's getting away from the original build a bit I guess.

I do like a lot of the spells that only appear on the bard spell list. I imagine Prestige Bard is the best (only?) way to get these spells but that's another CL lost =/ I guess that would probably be a whole different build.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 09:11:38 AM »
A Build is just a Means to an End. Yours is being a CHA based Gish, in essence. How you do this doesn't change the concept, so we're offering options.