Author Topic: Arcane Wildshape  (Read 4932 times)

OblivionSmurf83

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Arcane Wildshape
« on: February 23, 2010, 09:44:05 PM »
Hey guys,

Are there any ways, besides Arcane Hierophant, or Mystic Ranger/Sword of the Arcane Order, for a Sor/Wiz based caster to get Wild Shape?

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: Arcane Wildshape
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 09:45:03 PM »
Divine Minion?

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 09:46:18 PM »
What's wrong with good ol' Polymorph?
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 09:53:36 PM »
The Shapeshifter prestige class from Oriental Adventures.  Requires ability to cast polymorph or a racial shape-shifting ability.  It only grants half-casting, but it gets you wildshape up through elementals.  Note that it is a 3.0 book, so there are some slight differences that your DM can probably just hand-waive.

Also, the Abolisher PrC (Lords of Madness) grants small/medium wildshape only, with its first level.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:56:55 PM »
IIRC the Lion of Talisid grants Wild Shape as well, though would need a trick, since I think it only progresses divine casting.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

OblivionSmurf83

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 03:18:17 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm looking to minimise the amount of levels of any class I have to take to get the Wild Shape, in order to leave myself more room for other prestige classes.

Ithamar, I'm aiming eventually for a Sorcerer/Planar Shepherd build, so that's why I'm pushing for Wildshape. Normally I'd be all over Polymorph and it's companions, of course!

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 03:23:31 PM »
Any particular reason you'd rather be a Sorcerer than a Druid? There are a few reasons, but not many. Free Spellcasting?
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 04:24:14 PM »
There's also the matter of Planar Shepherd advancing only divine spellcasting.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 06:04:54 PM »
ya agita I was reading this going... what?
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

OblivionSmurf83

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 08:06:07 PM »
Yep, I'd be relying on Alternative Spell Source to allow me to count Sorcerer as a Divine spellcasting class. The reason why I'm favouring Sorcerer over Wizard is that, if you have a source of free wishes (And therefore free psychic reformation), it's a better base class than Wizard. The Sorcerer's only disadvantage over a Wizard is that he can't adapt his spells to a particular situation. A Sorcerer who can psychically reformate avoids this problem nicely.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 09:31:32 PM »
Limited Wish can emulate Psyref too. Free Wishes are better spent on other things.... mm, yes.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 09:47:22 PM »
relying on Alternative Spell Source to allow me to count Sorcerer as a Divine spellcasting class
Ew!
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 10:07:47 PM »
relying on Alternative Spell Source to allow me to count Sorcerer as a Divine spellcasting class
Ew!

Something I was thinking about earlier today. Does anyone know what that feat (and Southern Magician) is actually supposed to do? What's its purpose? I honestly have no idea.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 10:09:32 PM »
Ew!

Something I was thinking about earlier today. Does anyone know what that feat (and Southern Magician) is actually supposed to do? What's its purpose? I honestly have no idea.
another case of WotC not thinking shit through. although, you can use it to ignore arcane spell failure from armor.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

OblivionSmurf83

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 10:27:47 PM »
Limited Wish can emulate Psyref too. Free Wishes are better spent on other things.... mm, yes.

I agree completely! But unfortunately, I don't know of any way of getting free limited wish as a Sorcerer!

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 10:30:30 PM »
Cast Shapechange, Shapechange into a Zodar. Profit.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

OblivionSmurf83

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 12:59:26 AM »
I was going to call that cheesy, but I suppose I'm not only using Alternative Spell Source as a qualifyer, I'm also picking up Planar Shepherd, so I'll be quiet!

Actually, scratch that, Zodar's good, but you only get it at 18th level for non-Kobolds. Any earlier ways?

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 01:54:35 AM »
As stated, yes, getting rid of ACF. It also will remove some material components. Identify for example.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 04:46:53 AM »

I agree completely! But unfortunately, I don't know of any way of getting free limited wish as a Sorcerer!

Dweomerkeeper? Supernatural Transformation (Arcane Fusion)? Phaerimm? Phaerimm + Supernatural Transformation (Limited Wish)?
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 11:07:47 AM »
Ultimate Utility Caster, changable each day :

UA Spellcaster 5/Mindbender 1/Incantatrix 10/Dweomerkeeper 4

Uses Alternate Source Spell or Southern Magician, Int based Arcane, and draws from any bloody list you want (damn near).  If you aren't afraid of a little cheese, either retrain in or sub out levels for PrC Pally 1, PrC Ranger, and PrC Bard 1, making sure to achieve at least 18 casting levels, and be the true omnicaster.  You'll have access to every list (other than like...Wu-Jen), access to a Tome of Ancient Lore for ones you don't, and eventually have every spell ever anyhow.  But ironically, one class may well be even better for this :

Warmage!

PsyRef can swap out it's spells known.  We had a little thread about this and found nothing preventing it.  Can we say broken?  Now you don't really even NEED limited wish, since every good spell will be one of your known spells, taking dips as needed to add more known slots.  I still have yet to fully explore this avenue, but once I have a master list of god on 'roids spells made for it, I'll let you know.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!