Author Topic: De-Buffer  (Read 7359 times)

JanusJones

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
De-Buffer
« on: June 16, 2008, 01:03:24 AM »

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: De-Buffer
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 04:06:11 AM »
Could we get the sources on some of those abilities? I don't recognize stench of the dead or insane defiance or filthy outburst. And is the Unseelie from one of those online articles?
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 04:47:02 AM »
I don't know about the other ones, but Unseelie Fey is from Dragon Compendium
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

JanusJones

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
Stench of the Dead is a spelltouched feat from UA.

Insane Defiance and Filthy Outburst are from Elder Evils, which somehow lots of folks have overlooked.  A source of PHENOMENAL goodies.  I did a little review on it here . . . <EDIT: Argh, Gleemax sucks . . .>

Unseelie Fey is, indeed, from Dragon Compendium.

I know so much nowadays that I sometimes forget to cite sources on stuff.  Sorry!   :blush

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 12:05:19 PM »
Very nice, JJ  :clap

~Bowen
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 01:07:31 PM »
i only count 15 levels,

so you have room for marshal? to motivate those numbers?
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 01:14:44 PM »
And Dreadful Wrath is Player's Guide to Faerun. Frightful Presence? Seriously? What the hell were they thinking?

Edited because I answered my own question.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 01:18:43 PM by Sunic_Flames »
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

JanusJones

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 12:54:23 PM »
Yeah - I didn't follow the entire build through.  Any thoughts on my last 5 levels?  I should stat it out level by level to check the penalties as they progress - should be good fun all around.

Let's see . . . Motivate Charisma wouldn't actually help, since no Cha checks are involved - just Cha-based DCs.  On the other hand, a Veil of Allure from Sandstorm would do the trick nicely . . .

Tell me any other things you come up with - let's polish this lil' diamond up!

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 02:22:19 PM »
Well, here's what I see:

1. You want your opponents to be unable to escape your area of effect.  So Thicket of Blades, tripping, etc. would be good. 
2. You still have your swift actions left.  There's got to be something you can do with those, right?  MIC almost always has something worthwhile if your class levels fill up. 
3. You're a hexblade, so you can also Hex them 1/day for another -2 to saves.  Even at high levels, with your Cha you might succeed.  Taking another 3 levels of Hexblade would make it -4 and give you 2/day.  Hexbands from the MIC would add +1 to the Hex DC and give you Cha to damage against those foes 5/day, which might be worth it.  Maybe.
4. You'll need a high initiative to pull this off reliably, and preferably a way to grant your ally a high initiative as well.  If you can get a few eternal wands of Nerveskitter, an eager weapon, etc, it will probably help a lot.
5. Negative levels, Dex/Con/Wis penalties, etc, might be a solid way to lower those saves even more.
6. Since you're going to be going the vile route, swear your soul to an Elder Evil for bonus vile feats! :P  Can't go wrong with more feats, right?  Until Cthulhu calls you up anyhow.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 02:34:42 PM »
necropolitan and soul eater?
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

JanusJones

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 04:03:05 PM »
Well, here's what I see:

1. You want your opponents to be unable to escape your area of effect.  So Thicket of Blades, tripping, etc. would be good. 
2. You still have your swift actions left.  There's got to be something you can do with those, right?  MIC almost always has something worthwhile if your class levels fill up. 
3. You're a hexblade, so you can also Hex them 1/day for another -2 to saves.  Even at high levels, with your Cha you might succeed.  Taking another 3 levels of Hexblade would make it -4 and give you 2/day.  Hexbands from the MIC would add +1 to the Hex DC and give you Cha to damage against those foes 5/day, which might be worth it.  Maybe.
4. You'll need a high initiative to pull this off reliably, and preferably a way to grant your ally a high initiative as well.  If you can get a few eternal wands of Nerveskitter, an eager weapon, etc, it will probably help a lot.
5. Negative levels, Dex/Con/Wis penalties, etc, might be a solid way to lower those saves even more.
6. Since you're going to be going the vile route, swear your soul to an Elder Evil for bonus vile feats! :P  Can't go wrong with more feats, right?  Until Cthulhu calls you up anyhow.

Hadn't thought about Hexblade curses.  The DC isn't going to be a problem - by the time I'm next to them, it's been boosted by around +20 or more by the penalties. 

Of COURSE I'm swearing my soul to an Elder Evil!  I hardly thought it worth mentioning - I mean, doesn't EVERYBODY?  Bonus feats from a sweet list, and all you have to do is LOVE on some crazy critter who doesn't actually ask you to DO anything?

I'm THERE.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 06:21:35 PM »
Of COURSE I'm swearing my soul to an Elder Evil!  I hardly thought it worth mentioning - I mean, doesn't EVERYBODY?  Bonus feats from a sweet list, and all you have to do is LOVE on some crazy critter who doesn't actually ask you to DO anything?

I'm THERE.

The list of feats for swearing to an elder evil never really impressed me much, since the only options are the Vile Feats in that book.

Though it provides some nice shuffle fodder without having to give up magic items.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 06:58:09 PM »
Nice shuffle fodder of course refers to that shun the dark chaos trick?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 06:59:20 PM »
Nice shuffle fodder of course refers to that shun the dark chaos trick?

But of course. And it's even easier to justify when devoted to an Elder Evil.

JanusJones

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 11:39:09 PM »

I'm THERE.

The list of feats for swearing to an elder evil never really impressed me much, since the only options are the Vile Feats in that book.

Though it provides some nice shuffle fodder without having to give up magic items.

d00d.

Check it again.  Abyss-bound soul is in that book as a bonus feat, and they don't have any particular abyss-bound soul options for elder evils.

In other words, break out the Fiendish Codex and GO TO TOOOOWN!

And the feats in that book?!  Immunity to mind-affecting effects?  Cha mod to saves with a standard action every 5 rounds?  +8 to a roll of your choice, 50% chance of working?!

Surriously.  That book is made of WIN and AWESOME.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 01:40:45 AM »
Shun the dark chaos? What is this you speak of?

Man, I hate being left out of the loop. We should put up a list of dastardly combos and tricks on this board. I recall there being two "world record" threads back on Gleemax, but I think they vanished...
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 02:21:54 AM »
From Fiendish Codex I, two spells Embrace and Shun the Dark Chaos let you trade feats permanently for abyssal heritor feats and for any feat, respectively.  So they aren't vile feats, they're any feat.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 05:18:11 AM »

d00d.

Check it again.  Abyss-bound soul is in that book as a bonus feat, and they don't have any particular abyss-bound soul options for elder evils.

And the feats in that book?!  Immunity to mind-affecting effects?  Cha mod to saves with a standard action every 5 rounds?  +8 to a roll of your choice, 50% chance of working?!

Those are the only three I would ever take unless I had feats to burn, and only situationally anyway (like on a Cha heavy build that can afford to lose a standard action every 5 rounds or a FB that I don't want to have to pump the will save on).

None of them strike me as anything to make sure I get. They're all just things that'd be nice to have, but not worth going out of my way for.  :pout

Even Abyss Bound Soul (if you use the Fiendish Codex version instead of the EE version that they forget the table on), uses up 3 of your 5 bonus feats, though with an UnberCharger the double damage charge is amazing, I'll grant you.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 06:18:17 AM »
Well, you're hardly going out of your way for them in this case, right?  And I agree the feats aren't always worth it, but they're pretty solid choices.  Though I usually assumed that since Elder God options aren't given, the Abyss-bound soul's benefits depends on your GM.  Although I guess some demon lords are pretty close to elder evils, like Dagon.

Also, for this debuffer the Elder Evil feats include several deformity feats that boost your Intimidate, and one that gives you a mini-frightful presence for lower level foes.  So that's 3 intimidate checks against lower-level foes who are vulnerable to fear. 

JanusJones

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 11:42:14 PM »

d00d.

Those are the only three I would ever take unless I had feats to burn, and only situationally anyway (like on a Cha heavy build that can afford to lose a standard action every 5 rounds or a FB that I don't want to have to pump the will save on).

None of them strike me as anything to make sure I get. They're all just things that'd be nice to have, but not worth going out of my way for.  :pout

Even Abyss Bound Soul (if you use the Fiendish Codex version instead of the EE version that they forget the table on), uses up 3 of your 5 bonus feats, though with an UnberCharger the double damage charge is amazing, I'll grant you.

You iz SO WRONG.  I'ma make a character JUST to prove it, too.