Author Topic: Assassin... without assassin?  (Read 5595 times)

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
Re: Assassin... without assassin?
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 01:03:44 AM »
Honestly, Swordsage 20 would be a perfectly good build as well.  Don't underestimate the power of 7th to 9th level maneuvers :P
yeah, people tend to never even consider it. in my opinion, swordsage20 is more fun than warblade20. warblades just have too limited choices for my tastes. granted, they have a better recovery mechanic... but all swordsages take adaptive style anyways.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 01:38:14 AM »
Aw, man. Ninjas abound in this thread. I was gonna suggest factotum/swordsage. Mindbender is just gravy.

Might as well go factotum 11, though. Ignoring DR and SR is tasty.

It is, but Assassin's Stance is needed to rock the Terrifying Strike/Sickening Strike action, requiring two levels of Swordsage.  And Mindsight is just plain awesome.

JaronK

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 02:27:02 AM »

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 02:50:29 AM »
Fighter.

No, really. Ok, it depends on what sort of assassin you're aiming for. Do you mean a guy who kills people for money, or a guy who sneaks around and shoves daggers into people's precious organs when they're not looking? If the former, I've got a nice Warforged Fighter (Dungeoncrasher) who walks around in adamantine full plate, smashing victims through walls and using the resulting hole as an escape route. He relies on the fact he's good at disguise and bluff, and nobody expects him to be an assassin.

If you mean the latter, I have nothing I can offer that hasn't already been said. Still, if the DM's being restrictive in classes, sometimes it helps to diversify your ideas of what defines the character. Of course, you should always play what you want to play, I just felt like chiming in, mostly.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 03:37:38 AM »
Aw, man. Ninjas abound in this thread. I was gonna suggest factotum/swordsage. Mindbender is just gravy.

Might as well go factotum 11, though. Ignoring DR and SR is tasty.

It is, but Assassin's Stance is needed to rock the Terrifying Strike/Sickening Strike action, requiring two levels of Swordsage.  And Mindsight is just plain awesome.

JaronK

For a factotum, I think it'd be hilarious to be a warforged and alter self into the table or a rug.  You'd be the perfect assassin!

duncandun

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 03:40:38 AM »
Fighter.

No, really. Ok, it depends on what sort of assassin you're aiming for. Do you mean a guy who kills people for money, or a guy who sneaks around and shoves daggers into people's precious organs when they're not looking? If the former, I've got a nice Warforged Fighter (Dungeoncrasher) who walks around in adamantine full plate, smashing victims through walls and using the resulting hole as an escape route. He relies on the fact he's good at disguise and bluff, and nobody expects him to be an assassin.

If you mean the latter, I have nothing I can offer that hasn't already been said. Still, if the DM's being restrictive in classes, sometimes it helps to diversify your ideas of what defines the character. Of course, you should always play what you want to play, I just felt like chiming in, mostly.

TBH, a straight up assassin wouldn't work in my game.

It's mostly good(non evil), but after 7 months of playing a melee cleric, I'm just getting bored of not being able to do the sneaky subtly stuff. I also adore rogues/sneaky characters and assassin is one of my favorites to play.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 01:51:03 PM »
For a factotum, I think it'd be hilarious to be a warforged and alter self into the table or a rug.  You'd be the perfect assassin!

Alter self: Animated Door with the silent portal disk would obviously be the best assassin lol...

Milamber

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 02:02:07 PM »
If your campaign sports lots of undead take a look at Skullclan Hunter.

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 02:34:19 PM »
Alter self: Animated Door with the silent portal disk would obviously be the best assassin lol...
It was argued that this only changes the noise it makes on its hinge. You're not gonna hop on your hinge. Hopefully, I can find a citation. I think the thread had the word "Haunt Shift' in the title, or it was "Incorporeal Swordsage, iminurobjects movin around".
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 02:36:26 PM by NiteCyper »
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2010, 02:37:55 PM »
It was argued that this only changes the noise it makes on its hinge. You're not gonna hop on your hinge. Hopefully, I can find a citation. I think the thread had the word "Haunt Shift' in the title, or it was "Incorporeal Swordsage, iminurobjects movin around".
"My plan is working. They've become unhinged." [/Mi-mi-mimic!]
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2010, 04:23:55 PM »
well i have been playing around with that idea for a while of the assassin with out the assassin or avenger class in fact i just resurrected a gestate build of it here

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=187735

note her/his main type of combat is to infiltrate get as close to the victim as possible rise a lot of hell then get a way in the confusion if that does not sound like a assassination / espionage character what is  ? aslo if you see areas for improvement feel free to say something

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2010, 04:34:27 PM »
Other than the gish build I posted in the other assassin thread, there is also the option of TML's TK assassin, which is take a bunch of tweaked blunt weapons and fling them for ungodly damage at your target.  Hell, include ways of dropping D&D nuclear weaponry (Locate City Bombs, Apocalypse from the Sky, etc) and you can even be obvious about it, since they'll be a lot more worried about the mushroom clouds :P
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2010, 04:44:16 PM »
Other than the gish build I posted in the other assassin thread, there is also the option of TML's TK assassin, which is take a bunch of tweaked blunt weapons and fling them for ungodly damage at your target.  Hell, include ways of dropping D&D nuclear weaponry (Locate City Bombs, Apocalypse from the Sky, etc) and you can even be obvious about it, since they'll be a lot more worried about the mushroom clouds :P
Blunt weapons?  I take offense, sir - I only deal the finest in piercing and slashing damage.

I'm not even going to mention what I think the ultimate race is for an assassin, since by now my position on the matter should be clear.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2010, 04:46:30 PM »
Other than the gish build I posted in the other assassin thread, there is also the option of TML's TK assassin, which is take a bunch of tweaked blunt weapons and fling them for ungodly damage at your target.  Hell, include ways of dropping D&D nuclear weaponry (Locate City Bombs, Apocalypse from the Sky, etc) and you can even be obvious about it, since they'll be a lot more worried about the mushroom clouds :P
Blunt weapons?  I take offense, sir - I only deal the finest in piercing and slashing damage.

I'm not even going to mention what I think the ultimate race is for an assassin, since by now my position on the matter should be clear.

yeah, but you can't chain spell greater mighty wallop pointy things, can you? with exception to morningstars, ofc.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2010, 04:51:59 PM »
Besides...you can make a case for beating the enemy to death when you talk to his superiors later :P
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

duncandun

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2010, 06:04:52 PM »
Quick question:

What is a 'kill effect'?