Author Topic: Fun Finds!  (Read 163375 times)

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
Re: Fun Finds!
« Reply #960 on: May 11, 2011, 07:54:59 PM »
Nah ... the ones horrified that a Stepford Wife was legitimately happy  :D

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #961 on: May 12, 2011, 02:49:19 AM »
But it is a rather awesome sig.

My kitty avatar feels like the other guys, on the Enzite commercials.
 :fu
You mean the ones horrified by the serial-killer face of doom?

The thought of Bob being a homicidal maniac is rather entertaining.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #962 on: May 12, 2011, 02:24:49 PM »
Is it just me, or have we been overlooking an important line in regards to Touch of Golden Ice:

Any evil creature takes damage equal to that listed on either (insert tables here), plus it's Charisma bonus. An evil Elemental or evil Undead takes an extra 1 point of damage, and an evil Outsider or evil Cleric of an evil deity takes an extra 2 points of damage. If more than one kind of damage is listed, the creature's Charisma modifier and additional damage are applied to each kind of damage.
?

So it goes from being really awesome to effing broken.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #963 on: May 12, 2011, 02:44:26 PM »
Score one for the good guys.

Current score: Evil 923472810, Good 1.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #964 on: May 12, 2011, 02:50:39 PM »
The problem was always the low DC.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #965 on: May 12, 2011, 03:17:54 PM »
Also BoED:

"Celestial Lightsblood: This rare substance is as ethereal as pure alcohol, though it is not intoxicating."

Of course, we could be reasonable and interpret that in a real-world sense, but since 3.5 defines "ethereal" for us in game terms, I find it way funnier to make alcohol ethereal. Incidentally that makes it incorporeal, which really sucks for the drunken master.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #966 on: May 12, 2011, 03:20:11 PM »
Also BoED:

"Celestial Lightsblood: This rare substance is as ethereal as pure alcohol, though it is not intoxicating."

Of course, we could be reasonable and interpret that in a real-world sense, but since 3.5 defines "ethereal" for us in game terms, I find it way funnier to make alcohol ethereal. Incidentally that makes it incorporeal, which really sucks for the drunken master.
Of course spirits are ethereal. ???
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #967 on: May 12, 2011, 03:24:17 PM »
I have a reckless disregard for reality when there is technically an alternative and the alternative is funnier.  :p

Oh, and to clarify, yes, I see what you did there.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 03:26:25 PM by Nox_Noctis »
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Gilfanon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #968 on: May 12, 2011, 11:59:13 PM »
The Dreamshaper PrC from Dragonlance: Towers of High Sorcery. This ten level prestige class that most notably gives: (a) full casting progression, (b) a form of circle magic that only works on illusion and divination spells, and (c) +3 to your CL for illusion (phantasm) and illusion (figment) spells. Best for gnomes, Shadowcraft Mages.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #969 on: May 13, 2011, 01:34:48 AM »
Wow, I'd never noticed that extra charisma bonus in damage from Touch of Golden Ice... that actually makes it a lot nastier, as many high level baddies have significant charisma scores.  Obviously, you have to have a lot of attacks for it to matter, because it's only landing on a 1.

JaronK

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #970 on: May 13, 2011, 01:49:23 PM »
If you were in a heavy Exalted vs. Uber-Evil campaign, might it be worth it to try and optimize the DC of Golden Ice?  Would Ability Focus affect it?  What about the Saint template's Holy Power ability?  Obviously debuffing the saves of your foes is a good way to go as well, but any decent ways to boost the DC itself?
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #971 on: May 13, 2011, 04:32:24 PM »
My work

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #972 on: May 13, 2011, 04:41:02 PM »
If you were in a heavy Exalted vs. Uber-Evil campaign, might it be worth it to try and optimize the DC of Golden Ice?  Would Ability Focus affect it?  What about the Saint template's Holy Power ability?  Obviously debuffing the saves of your foes is a good way to go as well, but any decent ways to boost the DC itself?

It's actually very difficult.  VoNonviolence won't work (because Golden Ice does ability damage) and most save reducers aren't compatable with being Exalted... Unseelie Fey makes you evil (IIRC), Binders are said to be kinda icky (so an Exalted Binder doesn't quite make sense, remember that Exalted folks are even more stuck up than Paladins), Hexblades are going to have similar problems, and Paladins of Tyranny are right out.  Most easy to use fear and sickening effects are a bit evil as well or just not quite thematically appropriate or have immunity issues, but a few might work.

So, it's possible, but quite difficult to pull off... mostly you just have to throw out a LOT of attacks.  If you're throwing 10 attacks, they'll throw a 1 for their save once every two rounds on average.

JaronK

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #973 on: May 13, 2011, 05:08:54 PM »
DCs get improved probably best,
by using what Carnivore did with the Pyrokineticist.

Sooo ... how do we change the: "In heaven there is no beer, that's why we drink it here" song ??

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #974 on: May 13, 2011, 06:06:44 PM »

It's actually very difficult.  VoNonviolence won't work (because Golden Ice does ability damage) and most save reducers aren't compatable with being Exalted... Unseelie Fey makes you evil (IIRC), Binders are said to be kinda icky (so an Exalted Binder doesn't quite make sense, remember that Exalted folks are even more stuck up than Paladins), Hexblades are going to have similar problems, and Paladins of Tyranny are right out.  Most easy to use fear and sickening effects are a bit evil as well or just not quite thematically appropriate or have immunity issues, but a few might work.

So, it's possible, but quite difficult to pull off... mostly you just have to throw out a LOT of attacks.  If you're throwing 10 attacks, they'll throw a 1 for their save once every two rounds on average.

JaronK
Binders are icky depending on environment. They're normally not of good alignment because prejudice makes them hardened.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #975 on: May 13, 2011, 06:12:08 PM »
Binders are icky depending on environment. They're normally not of good alignment because prejudice makes them hardened.

Quite true, but Exalted are supposed to make Paladins seem nice.  So I figure Exalted folks are part of the ones hating on Binders in the first place.

JaronK

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #976 on: May 13, 2011, 06:45:28 PM »

Quite true, but Exalted are supposed to make Paladins seem nice.  So I figure Exalted folks are part of the ones hating on Binders in the first place.

JaronK
That actually depends on how you interpret Exalted. They're pretty big on the whole "even dark powers can do good" sort of thing.

Being Exalted basically boils down to:

- Avoid violence whenever possible, it's a last resort at best.
- Avoid killing to the best of your ability (no choice with things like mindless undead, but KOing your enemies is fine).
- If someone begs you for mercy, you grant it. You can chain them and observe them and give them lectures, but you can't kill them if they beg.
- Preemptive smiting is a no-no.
- Prison beats death as an ultimate alternative. Redemption beats prison time.
- Avoid using questionable methods to achieve your goals (theft, kidnapping, poison, etc.) if Exalted alternatives exist. (Non-Evil-tagged Mindrape? Sign me up.)
- Don't just remedy evil, work to prevent it.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #977 on: May 13, 2011, 06:46:27 PM »
Meh, the flavor of binder is mutable enough.  Just call the vestiges arch-angels that lend some of their power to super goodie-two-shoes to help fight evil.  So binders aren't so much as exploiting their vestiges as channeling nearly deific power for an exalted cause.  Sure some of the vestiges abilities may clash slightly with an exalted mindset, but most of them would probably work fine.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #978 on: May 13, 2011, 06:59:15 PM »
Even if you allow binding, that's still only a -2.

A usual evil save debuffer might be something like Unseelie Fey Paladin of Tyranny 3/Dark Companion Hexblade 4/Binder X who's subtracting 6+charisma mod from the saves of all nearby enemies... which is quite impressive for obvious reasons.

Evil's just better at reducing saves than good.

JaronK

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #979 on: May 13, 2011, 06:59:49 PM »
Meh, the flavor of binder is mutable enough.  Just call the vestiges arch-angels that lend some of their power to super goodie-two-shoes to help fight evil.  So binders aren't so much as exploiting their vestiges as channeling nearly deific power for an exalted cause.  Sure some of the vestiges abilities may clash slightly with an exalted mindset, but most of them would probably work fine.
Indeed, change the mythos on each vestige and the influence behavior and you're pretty much set. Perhaps for an extra twist, you can say the binder is trying to redeem the souls of fallen angels by channeling their power into himself, and the Binding check is meant to be a contest between your will and the corruption in each vestige's soul.

Again, Exalted status is pretty big on redemption quests, and I can hardly think of something more saintly than using your own body and mind to offer a being another shot at redemption.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]