Author Topic: Fun Finds!  (Read 163374 times)

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Fun Finds!
« Reply #840 on: May 01, 2011, 09:54:31 AM »
Anyway, a fun find: Heaven's Trumpet from BoED.  It's a 120 foot area shot (centered on you) that only hits enemies and paralyzes them for 1d4 rounds.  Normally it's a 7th level Cleric spell, but Archivists can get it as a 4th level spell, so they can have it quite early.  As an encounter ender, it's quite nice.

JaronK

How do you get past that you have to be an archon to cast the spell?
There's ways to gain that subtype. Most notably, 1 or 2 PrCs in that same book, iirc.

Edit: Also from that same book: Amber Sarcophagus. A level 7 RTA, no save to resist, SR applies (it's an evocation, what did you expect) that traps a target for 1 day/level, or until you deal enough damage to shatter it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:56:34 AM by McPoyo »
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Lo77o

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Guns dont kill people, apes with guns kills people
    • Email
« Reply #841 on: May 01, 2011, 09:55:52 AM »
Anyway, a fun find: Heaven's Trumpet from BoED.  It's a 120 foot area shot (centered on you) that only hits enemies and paralyzes them for 1d4 rounds.  Normally it's a 7th level Cleric spell, but Archivists can get it as a 4th level spell, so they can have it quite early.  As an encounter ender, it's quite nice.

JaronK

There's ways to gain that subtype. Most notably, 1 or 2 PrCs in that same book, iirc.

I am aware you can gain the subtype... fun fact, the prestige class that has it on its spell list, does not give you the subtype :)
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #842 on: May 01, 2011, 09:59:59 AM »
Anyway, a fun find: Heaven's Trumpet from BoED.  It's a 120 foot area shot (centered on you) that only hits enemies and paralyzes them for 1d4 rounds.  Normally it's a 7th level Cleric spell, but Archivists can get it as a 4th level spell, so they can have it quite early.  As an encounter ender, it's quite nice.

JaronK

I am aware you can gain the subtype... fun fact, the prestige class that has it on its spell list, does not give you the subtype :)
True, but Archons can qualify fairly easily for said PrC that gets it early.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #843 on: May 01, 2011, 02:35:03 PM »
I just brought up a point that they're not as clear-cut as they first appear.
No you didn't. You said SoRV is Ex, therefor the benefit of a Heal spell cast by a cleric Ex. You never once mentioned anything about ambiguity.
Eh, SorO says that kind of thing all the time, even when you're directly quoting rules and he's not.  Don't sweat it.
Says the man who loves out out of context quote one half sentence and claim it's validation above everything else. Eer I mean only you and now Snake have to deal with my bad traits, you guys should become friends since he idolizes you.

Runestaff & UMD. It's amazing what UMD can do.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #844 on: May 01, 2011, 02:54:31 PM »
I just brought up a point that they're not as clear-cut as they first appear.
No you didn't. You said SoRV is Ex, therefor the benefit of a Heal spell cast by a cleric Ex. You never once mentioned anything about ambiguity.
No, I said that since SoRV is (Ex), the effect of it is too.  A Heal spell is magical, and thus the effect is magical.  Get that simple concept through your skull.

Eh, SorO says that kind of thing all the time, even when you're directly quoting rules and he's not.  Don't sweat it.
Says the man who loves out out of context quote one half sentence and claim it's validation above everything else. Eer I mean only you and now Snake have to deal with my bad traits, you guys should become friends since he idolizes you.
I don't idolize people.  I agree with those who make the most sense.  Those who quote the rules, even if only partially (jaron usually quotes the entire thing, though) have far more to stand on than people like you who assert something, then never post rules quotes to back it up.

This however, does work.  Only problem is getting it onto an arcane list, since Runestaffs have to be arcane spells.  It can be done, yes, but it's an extra step.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:57:05 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #845 on: May 01, 2011, 03:33:05 PM »
No, I said that since SoRV is (Ex), the effect of it is too.  A Heal spell is magical, and thus the effect is magical.  Get that simple concept through your skull.
I sorry, can't hear you over the part about a the benefit heal spell cast as a cleric of X level which is very much magical and a spell.

This however, does work.  Only problem is getting it onto an arcane list, since Runestaffs have to be arcane spells.  It can be done, yes, but it's an extra step.[/quote]There is a divine version of Runestaffs printed in Complete Champion called Domain Staff. If it's a Domain spell it's fair game without getting into a True Dragon, whom learn Divine spells as Arcane spells, crafter who produces these things for his horde to demigod plan type thing.
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
[/spoiler]

Lo77o

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Guns dont kill people, apes with guns kills people
    • Email
« Reply #846 on: May 01, 2011, 03:36:04 PM »
I sorry, can't hear you over the part about a the benefit heal spell cast as a cleric of X level which is very much magical and a spell.

This however, does work.  Only problem is getting it onto an arcane list, since Runestaffs have to be arcane spells.  It can be done, yes, but it's an extra step.
There is a divine version of Runestaffs printed in Complete Champion called Domain Staff. If it's a Domain spell it's fair game without getting into a True Dragon, whom learn Divine spells as Arcane spells, crafter who produces these things for his horde to demigod plan type thing.
[/quote]

Would you be able to enter a prestige class that require you to be a cleric able to cast heal, if you can use that strike?
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #847 on: May 01, 2011, 04:16:54 PM »
No, I said that since SoRV is (Ex), the effect of it is too.  A Heal spell is magical, and thus the effect is magical.  Get that simple concept through your skull.

Would you be able to enter a prestige class that require you to be a cleric able to cast heal, if you can use that strike?
Or just capable of casting 6th level divine spells?

To use a Domain staff, you have to have the spell on your list anyway and use a Divine spell slot.  Very few casters can fulfill those conditions and not just cast the spell anyway.  While UMD would thus work for a divine caster, you still need some finagling to get an arcane caster to use it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 04:20:15 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #848 on: May 01, 2011, 04:18:42 PM »
Another fun one I just read about, Canath fruit from here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20030725a .  They give free power points to use on one power (up to 17) to anyone who uses them.  The fun part?  They grow on trees, so they're vegetable matter.  If only there was some psionic ability to generate vegetable matter long enough to use them that cost a small number of PP...

JaronK

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #849 on: May 01, 2011, 04:27:16 PM »
Wow.  Infinite power points at level 1.  Never would have thought I'd see that.

EDIT:Not actually infinite, looking at them again, but it does mean shapers never need to spend more than 1 power point unless they intend to use 18 or more.  Great conservation.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #850 on: May 01, 2011, 04:32:22 PM »

Perhaps you should turn that volume down, and instead try reading BoED which has Storm Tears.  They duplicate the effects of the Heart's Ease spell... and are explicitly non magical.  Page 38, by the way.  Clearly, duplicating effects of a spell does not automatically make something magical or a spell.  It just makes the effects (i.e. the results) the same.  The reverse is also true... a spell which duplicates a skill doesn't suddenly  become non magical because skills aren't magical, in case you're wondering.

In other news, Storm Tears are themselves a fun find... a mundane item for 750gp that's non magical and straight out cures insanity.  Permanently.  This is a hilarious thing to throw into your backpack in case the DM throws a "the king is insane" plot at you or decides the BBEG is doing it all because he's crazy...

JaronK

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #851 on: May 01, 2011, 05:04:31 PM »
...insanely afraid of random people feeding him tears, i'd imagine.

mthor

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #852 on: May 01, 2011, 05:18:25 PM »
JaronK is right. Just because an effect is the same as a magical effect does not make it intrinsically magical. For example does an electric motor have the same effect as an internal combustion engine? Of course. Does that mean that a ICE uses electricity for power. (The alternator doesn't count because it is not integral to the motors working) Does it mean that an electric motor has some sort of explosion going on inside the wires? Of course not.
The god of thunder....... yeah I'm the hammer

Just ask yourself..... W.W.T.D  what would Thor do
mthor, look what you did. You made people on the internet argue. We all hate you with a fiery passion, now. :P

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #853 on: May 01, 2011, 05:24:19 PM »
Someone should make a handbook covering all the ways to obtain power points.

Moar on SoRV, spoiled because I'm not caring as much anymore.
[spoiler]
Perhaps you should turn that volume down, and instead try reading BoED which has Storm Tears.  They duplicate the effects of the Heart's Ease spell... and are explicitly non magical.  Page 38, by the way.
It notes it's self. Who can argue otherwise?

Clearly, duplicating effects of a spell does not automatically make something magical or a spell.
I've never said SoRV isn't Ex.

The reverse is also true... a spell which duplicates a skill doesn't suddenly  become non magical because skills aren't magical, in case you're wondering.
Not even on the same topic.
You: Spell duplicating Mundane doesn't mean the Spell is Mundane.
My: Extraordinary giving Spell doesn't mean Extraordinary is Spell and also doesn't mean Spell is Extraordinary.

It just makes the effects (i.e. the results) the same.
Backs why RoRV cannot be used to cure Ability Burn (Heal cannot heal Ability Burn).

No. Less White/Back thinking please. You never cast a spell, thus you cannot claim to have spellcasting.

RoSV uses a "benefit of X spell cast by a Y-caster at Z level". As flat out written there, the healing (and other stuff) this strike gives originates in a Heal spell cast by a cleric. Who casted it? idk. Was a spell really cast? idk. But it states you gain the benefit of a spell cast as a cleric of X level and doesn't stipulate what aspects you ignore or keep (outside of benefit, gives reason to say you can't Harm undead with the strike as it's not a benefit to them).

The benefit of Heal, especially a Heal cast by a cleric, would obviously have various traits tied to it.
A. It is a magical Conjuration (Healing) effect.
B. It checks Spell Resistance.
C. It cures ability damage, blinded, confused, dazed, dazzled, deafened, diseased, exhausted, fatigued, feebleminded, insanity, nauseated, sickened, stunned, and poisoned.
D. It cures 10 hit points of damage per level of the caster.
These are all effects of the Heal spell it's self without taking into any regard of the caster outside of their spell level.

Snakeman, without any rules quote or presentable example, says to ignore A (and B) all because SoRV is Extraordinary (thus the strike it's self is nonmagical). When I said he is wrong the strike says benefit of spell cast by a caster, not SoRV heals X thus source of the healing is the spell. He has yet to provide a rules quote saying he is correct or example that X granting Y changes Y's nature to X. My example of Wild Shape / Polymorph into a Wolverine and using Rage isn't nearly as good as going with you can dispel Spells produced by Spell-Like Abilities (sp mimicing Magic) though but I was saving that as a trump card. Even JaronK brings up with the Storm Tears. That item is explicated noted as it's mimiced effect isn't the same type it normally is carrying the implication that normally the granted effect keeps it's type and that text was put in to override that.[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #854 on: May 01, 2011, 05:35:06 PM »
Oh, related to the "How to be an Archon" thing, the second level of one of the casting PrCs in the BoED allows you to cast them despite not being an archon.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #855 on: May 01, 2011, 05:47:26 PM »
...insanely afraid of random people feeding him tears, i'd imagine.
Do it adventurer style. Beat up up and jam it in.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #856 on: May 01, 2011, 05:57:36 PM »
Snakeman, without any rules quote or presentable example, says to ignore A (and B) all because SoRV is Extraordinary (thus the strike it's self is nonmagical). When I said he is wrong the strike says benefit of spell cast by a caster, not SoRV heals X thus source of the healing is the spell. He has yet to provide a rules quote saying he is correct or example that X granting Y changes Y's nature to X. My example of Wild Shape / Polymorph into a Wolverine and using Rage isn't nearly as good as going with you can dispel Spells produced by Spell-Like Abilities (sp mimicing Magic) though but I was saving that as a trump card. Even JaronK brings up with the Storm Tears. That item is explicated noted as it's mimiced effect isn't the same type it normally is carrying the implication that normally the granted effect keeps it's type and that text was put in to override that.

So, you need rules text beyond Pg. 40 which explicitly states

Quote from: Tome of Baattle pg. 40
Martial stances and manuvers are never spells or spell-like abilities.  Unless the description of the specific manuver says otherwise, treat it as an extraordinary ability.  Thus, these abilities work just fine in an antimagic field or a dead magic zone.  A manuver or stance can't be dispelled or counterspelled and initiating one does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

If a manuver is overtly magical or otherwise uses a supernatural power source, it is noted as a supernatural abilitiy in its description.  In this case, the manuver obeys all the standard rules for supernatural abilities.

There, that's the entire section on this topic, so you can't say I'm quoting out of context (though I'm sure you'll try anyway)

When we turn to Strike of Righteous Vitality, notice what isn't present: a note saying that it's a Supernatural ability.

So, since the manuver is never a spell or a spell-like ability and it lacks a notation saying it's supernatural, ergo, it's Extraodinary and thus non-magical.

If you want more evidence, trun to page 46 which states;

Quote from: Tome of Battle, pg. 46
Spell Resistance

Thus, this:
Quote from: SorO_Lost
The benefit of Heal, especially a Heal cast by a cleric, would obviously have various traits tied to it.
A. It is a magical Conjuration (Healing) effect.
B. It checks Spell Resistance.
C. It cures ability damage, blinded, confused, dazed, dazzled, deafened, diseased, exhausted, fatigued, feebleminded, insanity, nauseated, sickened, stunned, and poisoned.
D. It cures 10 hit points of damage per level of the caster.
These are all effects of the Heal spell it's self without taking into any regard of the caster outside of their spell level.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 12:44:33 PM by snakeman830 »

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #857 on: May 01, 2011, 06:09:39 PM »
There, that's the entire section on this topic, so you can't say I'm quoting out of context (though I'm sure you'll try anyway)

Well, you didn't quote the entire chapter. So you're not giving enough context to interpret the quote correctly.  :p
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #858 on: May 01, 2011, 06:11:06 PM »
Nah, I'd have to quote the entire book :p  Even then, he'd probably say I'm taking things out of context.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #859 on: May 02, 2011, 03:18:54 AM »
Nah, I'd have to quote the entire book :p  Even then, he'd probably say I'm taking things out of context.

If you don't also quote the 3.0 version of the spell, I'd say it's obviously out of context.  Also, why didn't you quote the designer commentary on the subject?  Surely if you can't quote what the designers said to each other when writing out these abilities then you're just posting out of context!

Anyway, another Fun Find:  Algid Enhancement from Frostburn.  It's a mostly overlooked spell because it only works on things with the cold subtype but costs 50gp per casting.  However, what it does is AMAZING and makes it worthwhile to consider running with an entirely cold subtyped party.  It effects 1 cold subtype creature per level, lasts 24 hours, and gives an uncapped bonus to AC, attack rolls, and saves vs fire effects, as well as a useless amount of temporary HP.  You get +1 per 3 caster levels to all those things (double that to saves vs fire) uncapped, in addition to a base +1 (+2 for fire effect saves, +1d8 for temporary HP).  It's a 6th level spell and the bonus to attack rolls is an enhancement bonus, but if you can manage to get a really high caster level (Consumptive Field?) the bonuses could be VERY significant and you can put them on your entire party, your mounts, and quite a few more folks all at once.

Plus, being the cold subtype means you can run around using Rimefire Ice and Stygian Ice weapons (with Blue Ice sheathes to avoid melting) and Blue Ice armor.  That's fun.  If you plan on using a Stygian Ice weapon, make sure it's Dwarvencraft Quality and cast Harden on it so it won't break.  And then you can use Control Temperature to lower the temperature (it's also uncapped, but there's a maximum level of coldness) and thus freeze everything around you... with a one hour/level duration, you should be able to adventure in frozen cold all day long.  Plus there's a few other spells that harm anyone not of the cold subtype but heal those who have it... it could definitely be fun to run a cold themed party.  Ice Web, for example, is a version of web that does damage but cold subtyped creatures are unaffected... could be handy to throw into a fight.  Sadly, Mantle of the Icy Soul was nerfed so you can't just slap on the cold subtype to any creature.  But if you already have the subtype, at 15th level a Druid could cast Mantle of the Fiery Spirit on you so you'd have the fire subtype too, thus granting immunity to fire and ice permanently.

Other fun frosty effects from Frostburn include the Ice Shape spell which permanently reshapes any ice into whatever shape you want (though fine details aren't possible, so things with moving parts have a 30% chance of not working).  What's so cool (heh) about this?  Blue Ice is a form of ice, so this lets you turn any Blue Ice you have into whatever you want it to be, and it does so as a third level spell.  It's basically a low level specialized Fabricate.

Ice to Flesh is amazing, as it explicitly allows you to turn an ice sculpture into a corpse.  Combined with Ice Shape, this means you could make the corpse of any creature you want, then wake it up with Animate Dead or Animate Dread Warrior or whatever else you like.

Icicle is much like Ghoul Glyph... it's a second level spell that lasts forever until discharged and hits automatically.  But this spell won't hurt anyone you designate as safe.  It's a fun way for a Sorcerer to get rid of unused spell slots at the end of the day.  Also, if you were to paint the icicles in poison (minor creation made Black Lotus, perhaps?) you'd have quite the trap.

Whiteout+Snow Sight is a nasty combo.  Both spells last an hour per level.  The first centers a 120ft spread on a target creature (in this case friendly) which virtually blinds everybody in the area (including halving speed, denying dex to AC, and so on).  It also disorients creatures, forcing a Survival check (how many enemies could make that?) or wander aimlessly with each move action.  Snow Sight, however, is a first level spell that lets one creature completely ignore these effects.  Cast the former on one party member, then cast the latter on everybody... now all your enemies for the full adventuring day are virtually helpless with no save, and you're fine.

And as a funny one, due to a typo the Obedient Avalanche spell says it does, in addition to other effects, 1d610 damage to structures.  Yes, it's a typo, but that's the largest damage die written in any book (beating that 1d33 weapon by a large margin!).

JaronK
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 03:34:22 AM by JaronK »