Author Topic: a Master Transmogrifist build?  (Read 4659 times)

Chilastra022

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
a Master Transmogrifist build?
« on: February 10, 2010, 06:27:01 PM »
Hello, i saw this build about Shifty the kobold.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19861174/Shifty_Does_Everything_(Master_Transmographist)?pg=1

I understand most of it, what i dont get is how she qualifies for MT with only 5 levels in sorc. Is this a valid build or did the person just mess up?

As far as i know MT requires alter self -and- polymorph, the latter which sorc's dont get till lvl8.

Greater Draconic Rite of Passage gives her sorc spell progression of 1 extra level, so thats 6, wheres she getting the last 2 from? >.>

If anyone knows id appreciate it :)

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: a Master Transmogrifist build?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 06:37:58 PM »
Shifty is using the Greater Draconic Rite at level 5 (it's on the web) to get one extra effective level of Sorcerer.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 06:38:43 PM »
She's getting +2 sorcerer casting levels from Loredrake, a true dragon specific template from Dragons of Eberron.  

Basically, only dragons which advance through age categories can take the template - because Shifty's a dragonwrought kobold, she arguably "advances" through ages to venerable (gaining +3 to mental stats), and can take the template, which trades your racial casting (Shifty has none to trade) for +2 to effective sorcerer level.  It's a common interpretation that leads to sorcerer kobold 6 with sorcerer 10 casting after you add in the rite of passage and white dragonspawn.  

Given that master transmogrifist loses so many CLs anyhow, it's not as broken on this character as it would be for others though.  Shifty missed a few of the really kick-ass forms (like her, I'd definitely go for the cryohydra, octopus tree, and war troll though).  Kuo-tua leviathan, sarkrith thane, and gray linnorn belong on that list as well.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 06:40:24 PM »
Ninja'd.

I assume it's a Dragonwrought Kobold. Since such kobolds qualify as True Dragons (this is a relatively big debate, but I'm on the side of it working, plus the build obviously assumes it), they can make use of Sovereign Archetypes, a rule for true dragons introduced in Dragons of Eberron. They're kind of like mini-templates that true dragons can take. One of them, Loredrake, increases the dragon's effective Sorcerer level by two in return for reducing its racial Hd from d12 to d10. But a Kobold has no racial HD, so it gets the +2 CL for basically free.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Chilastra022

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 06:56:53 PM »
Ah okay, thankyou for clarifying this for me all, its much appreciated :)