Author Topic: Feat recommendations for "Judge Dredd" fear-based Cleric build  (Read 2388 times)

CharlesCS

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Feat recommendations for "Judge Dredd" fear-based Cleric build
« on: February 09, 2010, 03:27:24 PM »
I'm considering playing a 'Judge Dredd' fear-based cleric (Cleric [Divine Magician ACF] 5 / Dread Witch 5 / Church Inquisitor 10) and I'm looking for feat recommendations that would support the build.  I have the GM's permission to substitute Intimidate for Diplomacy as a class skill and intend on maxing it along with Concentration and Spellcraft.

I've already planned on taking Dreadful Wrath (PGtF) and Strength Devotion at 1st level, as well as getting the relevant Martial Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus via the War Domain.  (My chosen deity in the game world has access to the Domination, Inquisition, Purification, and War domains; I'll get Inquisition via the Church Inquisitor PrC, and I sacrificed my second domain in favor of the Divine Magician ACF in order to get access to the spell prerequisites for Dread Witch.)

I considered getting Extend Spell at 3rd level but that's probably premature given the dearth of spells to which it could be applied at that level.

Books available are Core, all the "Complete [foo]" series, and surface-based Forgotten Realms (no access to Drow of the Underdark, so Imperious Command is out.  Obviously Heroes of Horror is available, and I could probably justify Libris Mortis as well; other books might be iffy.

I've already reviewed both the 3.5 Cleric Handbook and the Fear Handbook; the feats mentioned in the latter are either out of bounds or non-recommended, while the former reference overwhelms one with detail.

Any advice would be most helpful.  Thank you.
When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.

-- Darths and Droids #311

deuxhero

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Feat recommendations for "Judge Dredd" fear-based Cleric build
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 03:32:13 PM »
Ask the DM if he can use the Test of Spite rule that fear is not mind effecting.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 03:35:06 PM »
You could get into church inquisitor by level 4 and that would give you 2 more levels to take prestige classes.

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 04:39:41 PM »
You could get into church inquisitor by level 4 and that would give you 2 more levels to take prestige classes.

2? he only has five cleric levels, thats only one more by my counting
"There's more to apocalypse than running around like a maniac you know"
-B. M. Evilwizardington.
blogging at disasters made in china

CharlesCS

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 05:02:33 PM »
Actually, I'd prefer to take the 5 levels of Dread Witch before going into Church Inquisitor, which requires Cleric 5 due to the +4 BAB prerequisite.
When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 07:07:59 PM »

2? he only has five cleric levels, thats only one more by my counting

He enters at level 4, so at ECl 5 he is a clr3/ci2. Also you can enter dread witch with that build just fine as dread witch requires will save +4, while you would actually have a will save of +4 at ecl 4 due to prestige classing into church inquisitor so you could enter early into dread witch as well. The build would end up looking like this
Cleric 3/ Church Inquisitor 1/ Dread Witch 5/ Church inquisitor 2-10/ Other 2.

CharlesCS

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 08:30:59 PM »
He enters at level 4, so at ECl 5 he is a clr3/ci2. Also you can enter dread witch with that build just fine as dread witch requires will save +4, while you would actually have a will save of +4 at ecl 4 due to prestige classing into church inquisitor so you could enter early into dread witch as well. The build would end up looking like this
Cleric 3/ Church Inquisitor 1/ Dread Witch 5/ Church inquisitor 2-10/ Other 2.
This is an interesting approach, and I may go that direction if the GM approves taking "split" PrCs (starting one without having finished all levels of the other).

However, my initial topic was a request for feat suggestions, beyond the already-chosen Dreadful Wrath and Strength Devotion at level 1.  Thank you.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 09:14:38 PM »
There no rules against taking prcs in that manner. Another good prestige class you could take if you are willing to invest the levels would be Bone Knight (Five Nations)

As for feat suggestions Imperious command (DotU) is a good choice for fear based builds. A good handbook to look for other things can be found here. http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809.0
For a cleric Divine metamagic and peristant spell are always good choices as it allows you to have your buffs up all day. For your fear based build fell frighten and DMM fell frighten might be a better choice. All damaging spells you cast with that metamagic automatically cause your enemies to become shaken. Invisible spell is also a nice choice if you want to have your character be really unnerving. Really read the handbook, it has some amazing suggestions.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 09:18:25 PM by Havok4 »

CharlesCS

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 09:49:45 PM »
There no rules against taking prcs in that manner. Another good prestige class you could take if you are willing to invest the levels would be Bone Knight (Five Nations)

As for feat suggestions Imperious command (DotU) is a good choice for fear based builds. A good handbook to look for other things can be found here. http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809.0
For a cleric Divine metamagic and peristant spell are always good choices as it allows you to have your buffs up all day. For your fear based build fell frighten and DMM fell frighten might be a better choice. All damaging spells you cast with that metamagic automatically cause your enemies to become shaken. Invisible spell is also a nice choice if you want to have your character be really unnerving. Really read the handbook, it has some amazing suggestions.

As I noted in my original post, I have already reviewed the Fear Handbook; most of the feats mentioned therein are disparaged by the author, and for good reason.  I also noted that the only books available were Core, the Completes, and surface-based Forgotten Realms, and I called out DotU (and therefore Imperious Command) in particular as being unavailable.  (Otherwise that's an awesome feat!)

Fell Frighten and DMM-FF are good suggestions, as the character concept doesn't stress party buffing so much as de-buffing the opposition.  I'd need to clear Invisible Spell with the GM, as Cityscape isn't on his pre-approved list.

As for intermingling PrC levels, Rule Zero is always applicable: it's only legal if the GM approves it.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 10:06:01 PM »

As for intermingling PrC levels, Rule Zero is always applicable: it's only legal if the GM approves it.

Oh I see, has this DM forbidden taking prcs in that manner before? Well with the restriction you mentioned (sorry I forgot about those) DMM persist looks like it would be a very good choice.