Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Attack the Darkness!  (Read 132849 times)

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Attack the Darkness!
« Reply #540 on: February 21, 2010, 12:43:39 AM »
Q 103: What was the monster race mentioned that is often compared to the Predator?  Search did me no good whatsoever.
kythons, bovd
They remind me more of Tyranids

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #541 on: February 21, 2010, 12:48:26 AM »
Q130: Anyone have good links/ideas for how to maximize Wisdom?

A130: If you want to play with races, Anthropomorphic Bats get IIRC +6 Wis and 0LA (Savage Species) while Venerable Dragonwrought Kobolds have +3 without the usual aging penalties.  A Venerable Anthropomorphic Bat would have +9 Wis with 0LA but the physical stats would be horribly bad... which might be okay for a Druid but the hitpoint loss would be pretty noticable.

JaronK

Deathcharge01

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #542 on: February 21, 2010, 02:02:29 AM »
Q127: I'm looking for magical ways to improve an initiative modifier, anything from weapon enhancements to items or even armor enhancements if there are any.
Look no further. :D

Improvisation affects Initiative checks?!?!?!? Holy #%&$! My search is over......

Well, yes, but you need to have this round/level spell beforehand. That's hard to do, and it's not a good spell to persist, what with running out of uses.

Eh, if it's coming from my spellthief build he's got all the persist uses he can ever use and then some.  I usually persist it, but then again I tend to take the Batman concept a little further than most...

So is it reasonable to assume that anything on a character can be enhanced by Improvisation, because in one way or the other (except maybe HP) they all contain some degree of skill or ability check?
No.  Attack rolls, damage rolls, Grapple checks, caster level checks, and saves are not ability or skill checks.  Initiative explicitly is a Dexterity check, which is why Improvisation works for it.

OK i get you, so for Improvisation to affect it, the roll must explicitly be skill or ability, not part. It states that it affects Attack rolls tho, which is nice :D
Revenge is a dish best served cold.

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #543 on: February 21, 2010, 12:24:30 PM »
Q 103: What was the monster race mentioned that is often compared to the Predator?  Search did me no good whatsoever.
kythons, bovd
Nids are way more awesome, I wanted to do a game where tyranids invaded the plane I realised fluffwise it wouldn't work at all...

Players would die in seconds...

MyndBulletz

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Omnia Mutantur, Nihil Interit.
« Reply #544 on: February 21, 2010, 04:08:57 PM »
Q 131: Are there rules for/against turning Warforged into undead? If so, where are they?
Winning a dispute on the internet is like getting a gold medal at the Special Olympics. Sure you won...but you're still retarded.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #545 on: February 21, 2010, 04:27:43 PM »
Q 131: Are there rules for/against turning Warforged into undead? If so, where are they?
1)Incarnet Construct
2)Kill
3) Unkill (De-kill, Rekill.... verb for turning dead to undead)
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #546 on: February 21, 2010, 04:38:38 PM »
Q 132 Simulacrum looks like an awesome spell, but are there alternate versions of this spell that you can get at a lower level?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #547 on: February 21, 2010, 05:20:29 PM »
Q 132 Simulacrum looks like an awesome spell, but are there alternate versions of this spell that you can get at a lower level?
Yes, summon monster IV, pick a mirror mephit, extend the spell to be long enough and you can use the mirror mephit's simulacrum SLA.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #548 on: February 21, 2010, 05:25:41 PM »
kythons, bovd
Nids are way more awesome, I wanted to do a game where tyranids invaded the plane I realised fluffwise it wouldn't work at all...

Unless they all played high level wizards

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #549 on: February 21, 2010, 05:33:07 PM »
Yes, summon monster IV, pick a mirror mephit, extend the spell to be long enough and you can use the mirror mephit's simulacrum SLA.
That's awesome. Thanks. That totally works.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #550 on: February 21, 2010, 06:32:59 PM »

Depends how you rule psyonic/magic transparancy, the whole plane would be in an anti-psyonic field...

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #551 on: February 21, 2010, 06:34:39 PM »
Or the second level spell
"Summon Mirror Mephit".

Which, well, summons a mirror mephit.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #552 on: February 21, 2010, 06:41:44 PM »
Or the second level spell
"Summon Mirror Mephit".

Which, well, summons a mirror mephit.
Where's that from? Same book?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #553 on: February 21, 2010, 06:49:05 PM »
Yep.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

MyndBulletz

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Omnia Mutantur, Nihil Interit.
« Reply #554 on: February 21, 2010, 07:00:43 PM »
Q 133: Is there a 3.5 source for a staff weapon that grants reach?
Winning a dispute on the internet is like getting a gold medal at the Special Olympics. Sure you won...but you're still retarded.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #555 on: February 21, 2010, 07:20:54 PM »
A 133

Not 3.5 AFAIK, but I know there's a 3.0 quarterstaff with reach.

Q 134

If a creature that already has Constrict takes Binder levels and binds Zagan (who grants a constrict ability), do the abilities overlap or stack?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #556 on: February 21, 2010, 07:30:13 PM »
A 133

Q 134

If a creature that already has Constrict takes Binder levels and binds Zagan (who grants a constrict ability), do the abilities overlap or stack?
if they're with different body parts, they'd stack (aka, tail + tentacles, or arms, etc), otherwise they overlap due to the abilities having the same name.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #557 on: February 21, 2010, 07:33:53 PM »
A 133

Q 134

if they're with different body parts, they'd stack (aka, tail + tentacles, or arms, etc), otherwise they overlap due to the abilities having the same name.
Well, Zagan's constrict doesn't specify a body part (since most binders are humanoid), but the general principle probably remains the same. If it can only constrict with one body part (say, a tail), it would now be able to constrict with whatever other body parts it can grapple with. Makes sense, sort of.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #558 on: February 21, 2010, 11:46:14 PM »
kythons, bovd

Thats the problem with tyranids, Wizards would be first to die from like madness of their magical energy not working and different one coming to attack them. -.- Ever fought a lion? Imagine a lion in a cage, wanting tog et out. Now Imagine that cage is made out of meat. Now imagine you head being that meat.

Casters would be the first to die I know magic wouldn't work but maybe arcane magic would just have no affect, divine casters would be the ones getting attacked, psion tecnicly is completly them, there is no flow of psionic energy right? Then again the fortitude saves from the atmosphere becoming poisonous wouldn't help...

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #559 on: February 21, 2010, 11:49:43 PM »
kythons, bovd

Thats the problem with tyranids, Wizards would be first to die from like madness of their magical energy not working and different one coming to attack them. -.- Ever fought a lion? Imagine a lion in a cage, wanting tog et out. Now Imagine that cage is made out of meat. Now imagine you head being that meat.

Casters would be the first to die I know magic wouldn't work but maybe arcane magic would just have no affect, divine casters would be the ones getting attacked, psion tecnicly is completly them, there is no flow of psionic energy right? Then again the fortitude saves from the atmosphere becoming poisonous wouldn't help...
Q 135 Where would one find stats on the tyranids?