Author Topic: [PATHFINDER] Ask a simple question, get a silly- I mean, simple answer.  (Read 91691 times)

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: [PATHFINDER] Ask a simple question, get a silly- I mean, simple answer.
« Reply #300 on: September 28, 2011, 08:50:52 PM »
A 97

I'd handle it like a ghost attacking while partially inside a wall: You get a cover bonus.

If you're attacking creatures, some of your form has to be exposed.  The true solution here is Spring Attack.  :D
Or to have a draining touch and poke people with your finger through the bottom of their shoes...
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

borg286

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #301 on: September 28, 2011, 09:45:25 PM »
A 97

I'd handle it like a ghost attacking while partially inside a wall: You get a cover bonus.

If you're attacking creatures, some of your form has to be exposed.  The true solution here is Spring Attack.  :D
You're right.  I think Incorporeal covers it quite well.  Getting total cover for your mud elementals is pretty nice.

borg286

• Email
« Reply #302 on: September 29, 2011, 03:18:59 PM »
Question 98: Pure RAW can I use Summon Monster 2 to summon this small elemental: crysmal . This extends to using Summon Monster 4 to summon an Advanced Invisible Stalker

borg286

• Email

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #304 on: September 30, 2011, 03:53:53 PM »
Question 98: Pure RAW can I use Summon Monster 2 to summon this small elemental: crysmal . This extends to using Summon Monster 4 to summon an Advanced Invisible Stalker
A98: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214416&page=6
Did you just answer your own question? With something which wasn't an answer? ???
Anyway
A98: No. An "Elemental (small)" is a specific creature that comes in air/earth/fire/water varieties, not a description. Otherwise you could use summon monster I to summon the god of eagles because it says "eagle".
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 03:57:34 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #305 on: October 02, 2011, 09:00:19 PM »
Q 99 Sniper's Eye rogue talent. It says that you can add your sneak attack damage to anyone who has concealment, except total. Is this all of the time, or do they still need to be flat-footed?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #306 on: October 03, 2011, 12:42:05 AM »
Q 100: Has Paizo ever clarified what the effective spell level of the various level-less spell-like abilities are, such as many of the Sorcerer's Bloodline Arcana?
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

StreamOfTheSky

« Reply #307 on: October 03, 2011, 01:31:41 AM »
Q 99 Sniper's Eye rogue talent. It says that you can add your sneak attack damage to anyone who has concealment, except total. Is this all of the time, or do they still need to be flat-footed?

A 99
It's not giving you a new means to qualify for sneak attack, it's letting you ignore one of the conditions that prevents you from sneak attacking when you otherwise could -- foe has concealment.

Now frankly, I think that rogue talent is complete garbage.  For starters, rogues being worthless in shadowy illumination is bullshit and they should just get to SA in non-total concealment for free.  Secondly, that talent is ranged only.  If all you care about is ranged, just get the Seeking enhancement and ignore even total concealment completely anyway.  Finally, there's some stupid feat in APG Shadow Strike or whatever.  It gives the same benefit as this talent but is not limited to ranged.  I still think it's a waste of a feat since this should be something rogues get for free, again.  But if you feel like wasting your resources (by that I mean, any reasonable DM would just waive the issue away, and if not, don't play a rogue to begin with in that game), at least get the feat so you're covered melee and ranged.
/rant

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #308 on: October 03, 2011, 04:18:54 AM »

A 99
It's not giving you a new means to qualify for sneak attack, it's letting you ignore one of the conditions that prevents you from sneak attacking when you otherwise could -- foe has concealment.

Now frankly, I think that rogue talent is complete garbage.  For starters, rogues being worthless in shadowy illumination is bullshit and they should just get to SA in non-total concealment for free.  Secondly, that talent is ranged only.  If all you care about is ranged, just get the Seeking enhancement and ignore even total concealment completely anyway.  Finally, there's some stupid feat in APG Shadow Strike or whatever.  It gives the same benefit as this talent but is not limited to ranged.  I still think it's a waste of a feat since this should be something rogues get for free, again.  But if you feel like wasting your resources (by that I mean, any reasonable DM would just waive the issue away, and if not, don't play a rogue to begin with in that game), at least get the feat so you're covered melee and ranged.
/rant
Just curious about the ability. Didn't want to misinterpret it. Player is a sniper archetype.

StreamOfTheSky

« Reply #309 on: October 03, 2011, 01:27:45 PM »
I hope for your sake the DM is willing to let your +10 ft SA range per 3 levels class feature count towards the Sniper's Goggles you'll eventually have, which let you SA from any range, obsoleting your class feature, unless it applies to the secondary benefit -- bonus damage on SA's within 30 ft.

Considering the item and the archetype appeared in the exact same book, I consider that to be one of the most disgusting oversights in all of Pathfinder.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #310 on: October 03, 2011, 02:02:09 PM »
I hope for your sake the DM is willing to let your +10 ft SA range per 3 levels class feature count towards the Sniper's Goggles you'll eventually have, which let you SA from any range, obsoleting your class feature, unless it applies to the secondary benefit -- bonus damage on SA's within 30 ft.
Considering the item and the archetype appeared in the exact same book, I consider that to be one of the most disgusting oversights in all of Pathfinder.
Weapon Training was taken instead, but it does seem rather stupid how the ability works. It'll likely be skipped completely.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #311 on: October 05, 2011, 01:47:08 AM »
Q 101 The half-dragon is way different than it used to be in 3.5. It says that you deal 1d6 per RACIAL HD, and that your save is 1/2 racial HD plus other modifiers. Does this mean that your BBEG can't be half-dragon unless you've got only racial levels like outsider or monstrous humanoid? Seems rather stupid that you can't have a half-fiend/half-red dragon fighter/warlord. Heck, they even talk about one in the legendary weapons after you earn his weapon. So he didn't have a fire breath? How would you be afraid of him? Something seems off. Is there a loophole that I'm not aware of?

PsionicRanger

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #312 on: October 07, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
Q 101 The half-dragon is way different than it used to be in 3.5. It says that you deal 1d6 per RACIAL HD, and that your save is 1/2 racial HD plus other modifiers. Does this mean that your BBEG can't be half-dragon unless you've got only racial levels like outsider or monstrous humanoid? Seems rather stupid that you can't have a half-fiend/half-red dragon fighter/warlord. Heck, they even talk about one in the legendary weapons after you earn his weapon. So he didn't have a fire breath? How would you be afraid of him? Something seems off. Is there a loophole that I'm not aware of?

A 101--I would rule it as such, All HD including Racial HD (were you to use the template for a monster, etc.).  I would say that for standard humanoids your "class HD" are your racial HD, and if you happen to have racial HD from being a monster, those are included in the breath weapon as well. 

I agree, it would be quite stupid to not have a breath weapon for a standard race/class combo for a half dragon.  This is definitely a spirit of the law vs. a letter of the law situation.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #313 on: October 07, 2011, 02:38:55 PM »
A 101--I would rule it as such, All HD including Racial HD (were you to use the template for a monster, etc.).  I would say that for standard humanoids your "class HD" are your racial HD, and if you happen to have racial HD from being a monster, those are included in the breath weapon as well.  

I agree, it would be quite stupid to not have a breath weapon for a standard race/class combo for a half dragon.  This is definitely a spirit of the law vs. a letter of the law situation.
Just got a reply at Paizo as well, and a link. http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/rules/archives/halfDragons

[spoiler]
Correct; a half-dragon with no racial HD would have a breath weapon that deals 1d6 points of damage. Not an awful lot, but this was a purposeful design choice because the flavor of a humanoid half-dragon isn't one that we at Paizo particularly like, and it's one that a LOT of our customers have expressed exasperation with. Primarily because back in the 3.5 days, half-dragon was probably THE most overused template of them all. We (Paizo and our readers) mostly got sick of them, causing the half-dragon to go on the LIST for the last 50 or so print issues of Dungeon. That meant that if someone put a half-dragon into an adventure, they had to have a GREAT reason and GREAT background for that half-dragon.

Half-dragons in Pathfinder are intended to skew toward monsters. Things like the dracolisk would be a perfect example, but other creatures with racial HD work well, particularly animals, vermin, magical beasts, and aberrations.

Now... I do understand that dragonpeople are a popular choice for players as PC races. And even though a half-dragon PC or NPC would have a pretty weenie breath weapon, his ability score increases and defense alone should MORE than make up for that fact.

I could certainly see a feat like the following existing though:

Improved Breath Weapon
Your breath weapon gains power as you gain class levels.
Prerequisite: Half-dragon with 0 racial HD, Ability Focus (breath weapon)
Benefit: Your breath weapon now deals 1d6 points of damage per character level (Reflex half; DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + you Con modifier). You can use your breath weapon a number of times per day equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum of 1/day), but must wait 1d4 rounds between each use.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 08:26:24 PM by kevin_video »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #314 on: October 07, 2011, 08:07:31 PM »
Just got a reply at Paizo as well, and a link. http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/rules/archives/halfDragons

[spoiler]Correct; a half-dragon with no racial HD would have a breath weapon that deals 1d6 points of damage. Not an awful lot, but this was a purposeful design choice because the flavor of a humanoid half-dragon isn't one that we at Paizo particularly like, and it's one that a LOT of our customers have expressed exasperation with. Primarily because back in the 3.5 days, half-dragon was probably THE most overused template of them all. We (Paizo and our readers) mostly got sick of them, causing the half-dragon to go on the LIST for the last 50 or so print issues of Dungeon. That meant that if someone put a half-dragon into an adventure, they had to have a GREAT reason and GREAT background for that half-dragon.

[...]
An lv17 half-dragon sorcerer is so much stronger than an lv20 sorcerer, because he can do 8d6 damage 1/day?

Oh, and dragon disciple not only still exists in PF, it's stronger, and you can start taking on draconic traits from lv1 with a bloodline. ??? EDIT: Plus PF Half-dragon is fluffed that most of them are the results of magical experiments, and actually allows you to gain it as an accquired template, which you couldn't in 3.5.
I guess they disliked dragons breeding with humans? Except when it was really long ago?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 08:28:16 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #315 on: October 07, 2011, 08:30:16 PM »
An lv17 half-dragon sorcerer is so much stronger than an lv20 sorcerer, because he can do 8d6 damage 1/day?

Oh, and dragon disciple not only still exists in PF, it's stronger, and you can start taking on draconic traits from lv1 with a bloodline. ??? I guess they disliked dragons breeding with humans? Except when it was really long ago?
EDIT: PF Half-dragon is fluffed that most of them are the results of magical experiments, and actually allows you to gain it as an accquired template, which you couldn't in 3.5, so that can't be the reason for the nerf.
Yeah I don't know why it got nerfed, or why it needs Ability Focus. Apparently too many people abused the LA +3 template in 3.5 and we're all suffering for it. At least by how they're doing things now the LA is only +2. Still have to sacrifice two feats though. Although, you will be able to do 1d6 per HD, and you can use to CON modifier times per day.

Mooncrow

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #316 on: October 07, 2011, 08:31:46 PM »

[spoiler]Correct; a half-dragon with no racial HD would have a breath weapon that deals 1d6 points of damage. Not an awful lot, but this was a purposeful design choice because the flavor of a humanoid half-dragon isn't one that we at Paizo particularly like, and it's one that a LOT of our customers have expressed exasperation with. Primarily because back in the 3.5 days, half-dragon was probably THE most overused template of them all. We (Paizo and our readers) mostly got sick of them, causing the half-dragon to go on the LIST for the last 50 or so print issues of Dungeon. That meant that if someone put a half-dragon into an adventure, they had to have a GREAT reason and GREAT background for that half-dragon.

[...]

Oh, and dragon disciple not only still exists in PF, it's stronger, and you can start taking on draconic traits from lv1 with a bloodline. ??? EDIT: Plus PF Half-dragon is fluffed that most of them are the results of magical experiments, and actually allows you to gain it as an accquired template, which you couldn't in 3.5.
I guess they disliked dragons breeding with humans? Except when it was really long ago?

If that's the logic for making game rule changes, I'm almost afraid to ask what they did to dark elf rangers :p 

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #317 on: October 07, 2011, 08:32:40 PM »
If that's the logic for making game rule changes, I'm almost afraid to ask what they did to dark elf rangers :p 
Depends on your definition of dark elf. If it's drow, it's all good. If it's not, then they simply don't exist.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #318 on: October 07, 2011, 08:41:53 PM »
Drow have no LA now. The noble ones, which have more powers with no drawbacks, also have no LA, but it's assumed you won't use them.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 08:45:02 PM by Prime32 »
My work

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #319 on: October 07, 2011, 08:44:23 PM »
Drow have no LA now. The noble ones, which have more powers with no drawbacks, also have no LA, but it's assumed you won't use them.
Actually that's not true. It's now been determined that if you wish to play a drow, or other "monstrous PC" race (aasimar, tiefling, half-giant, etc) that used to have a +1 LA, the character takes a 650 xp penalty. If you wish to allow the drow noble to be played, then it's a 650 xp penalty, and would theoretically be a LA +1. Those are the suggested rules for DMs who want to keep the characters balanced with one another.