Author Topic: [PATHFINDER] Ask a simple question, get a silly- I mean, simple answer.  (Read 91680 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: [PATHFINDER] Ask a simple question, get a silly- I mean, simple answer.
« Reply #240 on: August 25, 2011, 04:00:57 PM »
Q 72 Where can I look up the XP characters can gain from higher than CR 20 creatures? I'm looking at a module right now with creatures that don't have any XP listed at all, and they're as high as CR 32. Nothing in the PRD has that. I see 30 and 36, but no 32.

Q 73 Is there a way to get around the additional -1 for +2 damage at 4 HD for Power Attack? Like keep it at -1 for +2 instead of forcing the PC to go -2 for +4?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 06:07:20 PM by kevin_video »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #241 on: August 26, 2011, 03:56:26 AM »
A73
Not as far as I know, you either power attack and drop 1/4 of your BAB into +1/2BAB damage or you don't.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #242 on: August 26, 2011, 03:59:56 AM »
A73
Not as far as I know, you either power attack and drop 1/4 of your BAB into +1/2BAB damage or you don't.
It just bugs me that at 4 HD you have to do that. Why not at 8 HD, or give you options, or give you another feat that lets you change it up? I guess I should be grateful that at 9 HD they don't make it -3 for +6 and at 15 HD -8 for +16.

Luckanan

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #243 on: August 26, 2011, 05:25:31 AM »
Q74: What happens when an Eidolon-fused synthesist polymorphs or uses metamorphosis or wildshape?  I'd assume the stat boots affect his fused stats, either because while fused a synthesist doesn't have his own physical stats, or through the "share spells" aspect of the Eidolon.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #244 on: August 26, 2011, 06:43:51 AM »
A73
It just bugs me that at 4 HD you have to do that. Why not at 8 HD, or give you options, or give you another feat that lets you change it up? I guess I should be grateful that at 9 HD they don't make it -3 for +6 and at 15 HD -8 for +16.
Its a static 1/4 thing, since its more user-friendly that way and also less abusable(because otherwise arbitrarily high to-hits can be translated to damage)
A74
The effect applies to the fused stats yeah.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Vicerious

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #245 on: August 26, 2011, 12:20:22 PM »
A73
Its a static 1/4 thing, since its more user-friendly that way and also less abusable(because otherwise arbitrarily high to-hits can be translated to damage)
For some extra clarity here, Power Attack increases at intervals based on your BAB, not your HD.  It's -1 at first, then -2 at +4 BAB, -3 at +8 BAB, -4 at +12 BAB, and so on.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #246 on: August 26, 2011, 01:39:20 PM »
A73
For some extra clarity here, Power Attack increases at intervals based on your BAB, not your HD.  It's -1 at first, then -2 at +4 BAB, -3 at +8 BAB, -4 at +12 BAB, and so on.
So it does work like then. Damn that's bad. I guess that's why they have a feat that lets you negate that altogether as an immediate action. Guess I'll have to make sure the PC takes that. Or homebrew a feat that let's them have a choice between all of the penalties.
I got the BAB/HD thing mixed up because the player's got full BAB.

StreamOfTheSky

« Reply #247 on: August 27, 2011, 12:28:57 AM »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #248 on: August 27, 2011, 07:11:47 AM »
A75
a) RAW, no, it doesn't specify that your unarmed strike is a 2H weapon now, however, if you use only your unarmed strike without TWFing or something, it is already treated that way.
b)RAW, stacks.
c)It does say while using this style, meaning the style feat must be in use. So the conditions are:
-Ignoring difficult terrain on a charge
-Charge through allies
-Using your increased damage bonus on your unarmed strike

A73
So it does work like then. Damn that's bad. I guess that's why they have a feat that lets you negate that altogether as an immediate action. Guess I'll have to make sure the PC takes that. Or homebrew a feat that let's them have a choice between all of the penalties.
I got the BAB/HD thing mixed up because the player's got full BAB.
They'd probably hit anyway, power attack or not. BAB + Str + Enhancements tends to kick monster AC in the ass, especially big meaty monsters.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

StreamOfTheSky

« Reply #249 on: August 27, 2011, 01:56:38 PM »
A75
a) RAW, no, it doesn't specify that your unarmed strike is a 2H weapon now, however, if you use only your unarmed strike without TWFing or something, it is already treated that way.
b)RAW, stacks.
c)It does say while using this style, meaning the style feat must be in use. So the conditions are:
-Ignoring difficult terrain on a charge
-Charge through allies
-Using your increased damage bonus on your unarmed strike

a) But a monk's unarmed strike is a natural weapon, is it not?  And it's certainly "primary."  Power Attack says:
"This bonus to damage is increased by half (+50%) if you are making an attack with a two-handed weapon, a one handed weapon using two hands, or a primary natural weapon that adds 1-1/2 times your Strength modifier on damage rolls."
b) Cool!  Glad to know a major chunck of the Style feat doesn't just go obsolete.
c) I disagree on what "using this style" means.  I think it merely means being IN the style stance, since you have to actually spend a swift to initiate it, you don't get to just walk into a fight with it on, like ToB stances.  Further, the Snake Fang feat lets you AoO someone who misses you and, if that hits, spend an immediate action to attack them again.  it says you must be using the Snake Style feat to do this.  But the only things Snake Style gives you are +2 sense motive and the ability to use sense motive as an immediate action to negate a hit.  If using a style meant needing to use all of it, snake fang's immediate action attack could never be used!  More related to the point, the 3rd feat in the Dragon tree is Dragon Roar, which says: "While using Dragon Style, as a standard action you can expend two Stunning Fist attempts to unleash a concussive roar in a 15-foot cone."  If you're not using Dragon Style unless you're charging through allies and difficult terrain and attacking with your unarmed strike, Dragon Roar is beyond impossible to ever use.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #250 on: August 27, 2011, 07:23:23 PM »
Oh right, I forgot about those. Then yeah you're right.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Antariuk

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #251 on: August 29, 2011, 04:36:07 PM »
Q76: What ability is the most important for a gnome rogue2/alchemist1, focussing on ranged attacks (crossbow and bombs), DEX or INT?

Q77: What feats, traits, or alternative class features would supplement a bomb/flask-throwing rogue2/alchemist1, assuming the campaign has no specific theme or prominent encounters.

radionausea

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #252 on: August 29, 2011, 04:42:32 PM »
Q76: What ability is the most important for a gnome rogue2/alchemist1, focussing on ranged attacks (crossbow and bombs), DEX or INT?

Q77: What feats, traits, or alternative class features would supplement a bomb/flask-throwing rogue2/alchemist1, assuming the campaign has no specific theme or prominent encounters.

A76 & 78 I'd say Int as you can boost your dex through mutagens.  

I'd definitely take a look at this:

http://pathfinder.ogrehut.com/2010/07/dr-strangelob/

and if gnome isn't fixed I'd go half-orc instead, swapping out Ferocity for either Toothy (primary natural weapon for when you need to melee) or sacred tattoo
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 04:44:21 PM by radionausea »
Stronghearted halflings do not exist.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #253 on: August 29, 2011, 04:48:22 PM »
If 3rd-party is allowed you can rely on WIS instead by dipping cleric, taking Channel Smite and Guided Hand, and using the herbalist archetype for your alchemist levels.
Guided Hand

Prerequisites:Benefit:

You do know that rogues can't sneak attack with splash weapons in PF, right?

Equipment-wise I can suggest the launching crossbow and sniper's goggles though.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Antariuk

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #254 on: August 29, 2011, 05:28:28 PM »
Sadly, no 3rd party... its just Core Rulebook and APG.
Cleric is an interesting idea, but not an option, as the levels of rogue and alchemist are fixed in this case (not my own character, but a character I can customize as I like) Thanks for the idea though. Sniper Goggles are awesome, already spotted them. Launching crossbow... well, I can try to talk the DM into allowing AA.

something random

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #255 on: September 01, 2011, 03:01:28 PM »
Q79: Does the pair of claw attacks count as 1 or 2 attacks for the purposes of the max attacks an eidolon can possessdepending on the level of it's summoner?
Am I the only one who's mind was broken when they realized the implication of the existence of the aberration bloodline.

Vicerious

• Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #256 on: September 02, 2011, 12:02:01 AM »
Q79: Does the pair of claw attacks count as 1 or 2 attacks for the purposes of the max attacks an eidolon can possessdepending on the level of it's summoner?
Two attacks.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

Craiconn

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #257 on: September 04, 2011, 01:16:24 AM »
I am quite certain that this thread (or handbook) exists on Brilliant Gameologists ....

Where would I find the thread that details how to give 3.X spellcaster characters the ability to convert a castable spell into a Spell-Like Ability?

Thank you for your help!

Zebu

« Reply #258 on: September 04, 2011, 03:24:04 AM »
<b>Q80</b>  What ways can a summoner disable magical traps, other than Leadership or telling a demon to push the pretty button.

StreamOfTheSky

« Reply #259 on: September 04, 2011, 11:56:10 AM »
A 80

(Greater) Dispel Magic.