Author Topic: [PATHFINDER] Ask a simple question, get a silly- I mean, simple answer.  (Read 91745 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Listen up, neophytes!  This is for Pathfinder rules questions ONLY!  For regular D&D 3.x, look around for "Ask a simple question" without the [PATHFINDER] tag.

Ask questions as such:

Q1
How do I color my text like that?

A1
Use (color=blue)TEXT(/color).  Use [square brackets] instead of parentheses.

Kick it!
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
Re: [PATHFINDER] Ask a simple question, get a silly- I mean, simple answer.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 01:15:03 PM »
Q2

Let's try and start this on a serious note. The 'canon' of 3.5 material is usually considered to be made up all the 3e and 3.5e books published by WotC. Are there any books accepted as 'canon' in Pathfinder that aren't published by Paizo? Are any of the 3.5e books published by Paizo considered canon?

The question of whether something is canonical usually comes up when people are designing characters or game worlds, they want to know what makes up the cohesive heart of the published material.

Rooster

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 04:56:44 AM »
A2

I only know of Dreamscarred Press releasing an Expanded Psionics Handbook PF analog here very fairly soon. The vein of it is very much the same as Pathfinder so far (they've got some early beta rewrites of psionic classes up on their forum), but I haven't seen the final product yet so I am uncertain how it will end up.

winter_soldier

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 03:44:23 PM »
Q3: The Dastardly Finish feat in the APG allows Rogues to Coup De Grace stunned or cowering opponents. Prereqs are Sneak Attack +5d6. What are the most reliable way to get opponents into the above conditions to best utilize this feat?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 03:46:13 PM by winter_soldier »

bearchucks

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Being Batman...with chainsaw bearchucks
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 04:00:27 PM »
Q3: The Dastardly Finish feat in the APG allows Rogues to Coup De Grace stunned or cowering opponents. Prereqs are Sneak Attack +5d6. What are the most reliable way to get opponents into the above conditions to best utilize this feat?
A3: Fear effects immediately come to mind.  A Revenant's Baleful Shriek works.  Power Word Stun and some creature abilities work.  (Yay for pathfinder SRD online)
http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/di/pdq-core.pdf  The smallest, shortest, simplest ruleset of any RPG I've ever seen.  If 3.5 is too complex and you don't like 4.0, try this.  It has very few rules and is just short of freeform.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 04:26:31 PM »
A3: Fear effects immediately come to mind.  A Revenant's Baleful Shriek works.  Power Word Stun and some creature abilities work.  (Yay for pathfinder SRD online)
Stunning Fist.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Drull

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 05:49:09 PM »
*** sorry, just noticed pathfinder in the thread name ***
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 04:38:48 AM by Drull »

borg286

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 08:09:21 PM »
Q4: Is the artificer Pathfinder cosher?

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 10:46:17 PM »
Q4: Is the artificer Pathfinder cosher?

A4

Assuming you are referring to the ToS Artifcer found here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/artificer

It's not an official Paizo product, so that may be a knock against it. But it's on the PFSRD so that's a knock for it. It doesn't appear to have any egregious issues with its power on a cursory examination. So it should be fine in a Pathfinder game but you need to ask your DM first, you can't assume they'll let you use it.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 03:32:54 PM »
Q5

How much of Pathfinder is compatible with 3.5e?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Vistella

• Email
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 06:13:19 PM »
Q6
can a druid use flame blade/produce flame while in wildshaped in an animal which doesnt have hands?
nothing in the spell says you have to carry it, just that it springs from your hand, so should work from talon or whatever too, right?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 06:19:03 PM by Vistella »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 01:55:03 AM »
Q5

How much of Pathfinder is compatible with 3.5e?
A5
Technically speaking, you just need to tweak the skills, throw in the combat maneuver stuff and check if they changed the feats you use. The rest are identical enough that you could put a 3.5 monster in and nobody would notice.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 02:03:17 PM »
Neat. I picked up Tome of Secrets a while ago, and it's nice to know that I can actually use it.

Q7: Why did they up the CR on the Tarrasque?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 06:44:38 PM »
A7: It is now immune to mind-affecting effects, so you can no longer cast dominate monster and get a pet tarraque.  It now has a ranged attack, so you can no longer fly overhead and attack it with impunity.  It can no longer be kept dead with a wish spell. 

Vistella

• Email
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 07:07:41 PM »
Q8:
why does noone answer my Q6?^^
Q6
can a druid use flame blade/produce flame while in wildshaped in an animal which doesnt have hands?
nothing in the spell says you have to carry it, just that it springs from your hand, so should work from talon or whatever too, right?

winter_soldier

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 10:28:47 AM »
Q6

A6. From the Flame Blade text: "You wield this blade-like beam as if it were a scimitar", so no, since it specifically mentions wielding. The Produce Flame text has nothing that specific, so that's ok.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 03:20:51 AM »
Q 9
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 03:22:58 AM by kevin_video »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Slaughterhouserock

• Hail to the king, baby.
    • Horror Movie Fans
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 08:33:13 AM »
Q 10

Fixed the numbering for ya.

A 10:  It's just 1/2.  You take it twice to get 1 extra use and, as always, you round down any fractions.  It's explained on p. 9:

"Finally, some of these alternate favored class benefits only add +1/2, +1/3, +1/4, or +1/6 to a roll (rather than +1) each time the benefit is selected; when applying this result to the die roll, round down (minimum 0). For example, a dwarf with rogue as his favored class adds +1/2 to his trap sense ability regarding stone traps each time he selects the alternate rogue favored class benefit; though this means the net effect is +0 after selecting it once (because +1/2 rounds down to +0), after 20 levels this benefit gives the dwarf a +10 bonus to his trap sense* (in addition to the base value from being a 20th-level rogue)."

Keep in mind that this is an additional choice to the normal favored class rules(i.e. getting either 1 skill point or 1 hit point from your favored class).  So you can choose between the usual hp/skill point favored class benefits or the racial favored class benefit at each level.

*Note: this is assuming he takes the racial favored class benefit(RFCB?) every level.
The DM giveth and the rogue taketh away.
I have a 5 in Charisma and Diplomacy is a cross-class skill.  Hopefully I don't piss off too many people.

Slaughterhouserock

• Hail to the king, baby.
    • Horror Movie Fans
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 08:43:54 AM »
Q9:Can I Deadly Aim a ray? Can I WF:Ray, and then use Dazzling Display? Can I Arcane Strike on a ray attack? ( i presume yes, yes, no.)

A 9:  Deadly Aim - See the last line: "The bonus damage does not apply to touch attacks or effects that do not deal hit point damage."  A ray is a ranged touch attack so no.

Dazzling Display - It says "while wielding the weapon", so, by RAW, I'd say no as you don't wield a ray.

Arcane Strike - This might work since in the description of a ray it does say it can be treated as a weapon for critical hits.  Strict RAW, no, but, depending on the DM, it may be a good enough precedence to count a ray as a weapon which is all that's required of the feat.
The DM giveth and the rogue taketh away.
I have a 5 in Charisma and Diplomacy is a cross-class skill.  Hopefully I don't piss off too many people.