Author Topic: [PATHFINDER] Ask a simple question, get a silly- I mean, simple answer.  (Read 91694 times)

Smokey_the_bear

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Re: [PATHFINDER] Ask a simple question, get a silly- I mean, simple answer.
« Reply #160 on: September 21, 2010, 02:51:10 AM »
Q42

The Lore Oracle gets an ability that reads:
Arcane Archivist (Su): Your experience with lore-filled tomes has granted you the ability to cast arcane spells as if they were on your spell list. Once per day, you can cast a spell from the sorcerer/wizard spell list as if it were on your list of spells known. The spell consumes a spell slot one level higher than the level of the spell. You must have a spellbook containing the spell to cast it in this way, and the spell is erased when you complete the casting. You must be at least 11th level to select this revelation.

Assuming full access to 3.5 material is there a way that I can use this ability and not lose the spell from my spell book? I'm thinking some way to copy the spell cheaply or make the book immune to erasure are the obvious routes, but I can't figure out how to go about it.

A42

Keep two spellbooks, a normal one and a Blessed Book. Use the Blessed Book for your castings, then recopy the spell into your Blessed Book again at no cost. No need to grandfather in non-PF material, even. An extremely literal reading of the Blessed Book's rules text may require a wizard to do the recopying for you, however.
If the Wizard in your party starts getting a little unruly you can always start casting spells out of his spellbook to set him back in his place XD "Wait a minute....where did that 5th lvl spell go? I know I wrote it on this page..."

TheMasaoL

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: September 25, 2010, 05:41:46 AM »
Q43 "A weapon with a special ability must also have at least a +1 enhancement bonus"~paizo srd
also "A masterwork weapon is a finely crafted version of a normal weapon. Wielding it provides a +1 enhancement bonus..."~paizo srd

does this mean i only need to make my greatsword masterwork to make it vorpal?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #162 on: September 25, 2010, 06:29:20 AM »
A43: No.  It needs to be a +1 greatsword.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #163 on: September 25, 2010, 07:43:06 AM »
Not that reading it that way wouldn't be cool.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #164 on: September 25, 2010, 03:58:06 PM »

While I know this is the intent, I have no idea why RAW this should be the case.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #165 on: September 25, 2010, 11:17:11 PM »

While I know this is the intent, I have no idea why RAW this should be the case.
If you just read words then it might be murky, but there's context to consider, too.  The requirement of a +1 enhancement bonus before adding special abilities is referring to having a +1 weapon or a +1 armor before adding special abilities.

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
  • "Seek Perfection of Character" - Gichin Funakoshi
« Reply #166 on: September 25, 2010, 11:45:13 PM »
Q 44:What point is there to Greater Feint?  Feinting is still a move action, so I don't see how making the dex-denied condition last the whole round is of any benefit (as you still won't be full attacking for all those lovely sneak attack dice).

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: September 26, 2010, 01:56:50 AM »
Because you attack and then feint in round one, then full attack in round two. Rinse repeat.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: October 06, 2010, 01:30:40 PM »
Q45: Is there a good alchemist guide floating around anywhere?
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #169 on: November 14, 2010, 02:44:04 AM »
Q46: When attempting to craft a Wondrous Item can you increase the DC of the check by 5 in order to ignore the requirement "Craft Wondrous Item feat"?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Slaughterhouserock

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Hail to the king, baby.
    • Horror Movie Fans
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: November 14, 2010, 09:49:24 AM »
Q46: When attempting to craft a Wondrous Item can you increase the DC of the check by 5 in order to ignore the requirement "Craft Wondrous Item feat"?

A46:  No.  See p. 549:

The only exception to this is the requisite item creation feat, which is mandatory. In addition, you cannot create spelltrigger and spell-completion magic items without meeting their spell prerequisites. While item creation costs

Emphasis mine.
The DM giveth and the rogue taketh away.
I have a 5 in Charisma and Diplomacy is a cross-class skill.  Hopefully I don't piss off too many people.

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2010, 11:35:45 AM »
Q47: What's the caster level for Shadowdancer's Shadow Call ability? The text refers to 'shadowdancer's level', which is ambiguous in that a character with shadowdancer class levels = shadowdancer... :/

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #172 on: November 19, 2010, 12:40:32 PM »
Unless specifically called out as "total character level", any reference to level is always levels in the class granting that ability, per the definition page in the core handbook.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #173 on: December 13, 2010, 01:38:49 PM »
Q48: What Bloodline for Sorcerers doesn't outright sucks that much for a GOD-like playstyle? Considering Core&APG only...
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #174 on: December 13, 2010, 02:29:11 PM »
A48
For Sorcerers, you always have Human special favored class ability to massively swell your spell list, so the freebie spells are best focused on those sorcs can't normally get.
Mostly you'd be looking at the uniques, especially the bloodline arcana if you plan on multiclassing out.

Boreal: Other than Enlarge Person and Wall of Ice, its spells are not exactly that useful for a GOD, but the bloodline arcana is easy to apply to your spells for free DC increases and Snow Shroud turns Fogs into a one sided drawback, as you can see through the mists. Blizzard kicks in a bit late, but it does save on spell slot pressure for screwing up battlefields. Feats are rather mediocre though.

Dreamspun: A fairly nice list of useful spells, though the bloodline arcana is rather situational. The initiative bonus is not to be sneezed at, though the other specials are a bit random, they are reasonably useful. The feats are pretty sad here.

Fey: Some nifty druid spells to your list, Woodland Stride is rather situational, but useful for positioning in outdoor campaigns. The bonus to compulsion DCs is downright nasty as a backup plan. Theres a couple of useful feats here.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #175 on: December 14, 2010, 04:47:41 AM »
I see, thank you. Human favored class bonus is indeed awesome :lmao and is probably the best thing for Sorcerers in there. However, I'm not planning on PrC'ing out since, well, there's not alot of options... I'm still puzzled with the bloodlines; none seems like a perfect fit and alot of the spells/abilities are mostly fluff and/or situational at best. Am I searching for too much? :banghead
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #176 on: December 14, 2010, 07:39:16 AM »
Well, it's probably a good thing that there isn't one obvious BC bloodline, or else everyone would use it :P  Personally, I think Boreal sounds like the most fun, since it's hard to find ways to see perfectly in snow, ice, fog, and storms.  The spells from 13th to 19th are trash though.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #177 on: December 14, 2010, 08:57:52 AM »
What bugs the most with that bloodline are the feats, else it ain't that bad. But, hum, how do you get to apply its arcana to all your spells? Snowcasting from Frostburn I guess? There's nothing that lets you do that in Core+APG, right?
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #178 on: December 15, 2010, 02:25:51 PM »
What bugs the most with that bloodline are the feats, else it ain't that bad. But, hum, how do you get to apply its arcana to all your spells? Snowcasting from Frostburn I guess? There's nothing that lets you do that in Core+APG, right?
Snowcasting is it, yeah.

As for the feats...well, they're free, and hey, free hp/Diehard.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #179 on: December 15, 2010, 07:09:26 PM »
As for the feats...well, they're free, and hey, free hp/Diehard.

Yeah, it never hurts I guess. xP

While I'm at it... I'm reading through that Witch base class from the APG and I've been considering playing one if my Sorcerer ever dies (might happen sooner than later with my current DM). I'm having a hard time figuring out which Patron to choose (big surprise, eh?) so I guess my question would be (Q49): Which Patrons, in terms of general usefulness, works best with the rest of the class?
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week: