Author Topic: Dire help needed  (Read 10106 times)

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Dire help needed
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2010, 01:05:11 PM »
I love how the 80 HD elemental has another 20 levels of cleric tacked onto it just for kicks :P

Tonymitsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2010, 02:21:19 PM »
In my experience, Persistant Delay Death by itself really does nothing.

Congratulations, you can now no longer die due to hit point damage.

...But, you still can fall unconscious due to it when you hit -1 (unless you have Diehard, in which case you are only disabled), and once you're unconscious most things are likely to notice you aren't quite dead.  One of them decides to perform a coup de grace.  Sure you don't care about the damage, but you now have to make a Fortitude save or die.  Oops, this is a death effect, which Delay Death can't do anything about.

Now since this is an elemental we are talking about... who knows?

I believe the description of the spell specifically mentions that you are perfectly able to act at negative HP.

Nah, just the opposite actually.
It specifically states it doesn't prevent you from collapsing unconscious at -1 HP and entering the dying state, just that you can't die from having HP damage inflicted to you.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2010, 02:23:34 PM »

...But, you still can fall unconscious due to it when you hit -1 (unless you have Diehard, in which case you are only disabled), and once you're unconscious most things are likely to notice you aren't quite dead.  One of them decides to perform a coup de grace.  Sure you don't care about the damage, but you now have to make a Fortitude save or die.  Oops, this is a death effect, which Delay Death can't do anything about.

I believe the description of the spell specifically mentions that you are perfectly able to act at negative HP.

It specifically states it doesn't prevent you from collapsing unconscious at -1 HP and entering the dying state, just that you can't die from having HP damage inflicted to you.
IIRC, there's another spell that lets you do that. The combination of it and Delay Death is what the Twice-Betrayer uses to become basically immune to hp damage.
EDIT: Beastland Ferocity, from MotP, apparently.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 02:25:28 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Tonymitsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2010, 02:37:10 PM »

IIRC, there's another spell that lets you do that. The combination of it and Delay Death is what the Twice-Betrayer uses to become basically immune to hp damage.

That's in the SpC too.

Wow, it's like Diehard but better and without wasting a feat.  no wonder nobody takes diehard.

Still you'd have to find a way to get it from the druid or bard spell list.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »

Wow, it's like Diehard but better and without wasting a feat.  no wonder nobody takes diehard.

Especially because shape soulmeld( Rage claws) is better than diehard in every way as well.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2010, 03:51:44 PM »

That's in the SpC too.

Some domain probably grants it. And then there are other ways around it too. I think there's a spell called Surelife or Stillife or something like that that allows you to attack while under negative HP, but after that you die. It's a cleric spell.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2010, 04:27:48 AM »
use one magician with "Craft Contingent spell" or "Contingency" and apply save-or-die spell to those orphans. Set condition to when they read the runes.
On that note (of kamikaze strategies), Destructive Retributive bats.

What the hell: 5 gp Yugoloth brains?
That's 50 gp for a theoretically 99.9% probable no-save, just-die spell. Synonyms: don't-save-&-die, you-must-DIE, brain-spray-&-pray,

Second quote eliminated.

Reference(s):
BoVD - p.45 - Yugoloth's brain - http://yfrog.com/58bovd45optionalmaterialcpx
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 04:37:26 AM by NiteCyper »
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2010, 05:53:24 AM »
Use shades to duplicate Trap the Soul?

Avoid the expensive gem component by making it an illusion.  Then give one to each of your orphans.  If the elemental eats them, that counts as accepting the gem in my book.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Frost Wolf

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2010, 08:43:29 AM »
On that note (of kamikaze strategies), Destructive Retributive bats Orphans.

Oh hai I fixed this 4u ^_^