Author Topic: Arch-Erudite from Hell  (Read 12962 times)

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
Re: Arch-Erudite from Hell
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2011, 12:46:54 AM »
What does full transparency do to that?
The same that always happens: Takes any pretensions of balance and bends it over.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2011, 02:53:06 AM »
Wrong. It's not 2 PM. It's 2 AM. LRN2REDNOOB!  :smirk
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2011, 05:44:47 AM »
Transparency lets psionics and magic affect each other.  Explicitly, SR = PR and vice versa, dispel magic = dispel psionics, and vice versa, something that stops magical [mind-affecting] stops psionic [mind-affecting] and vice versa.  Powers are not treated as spells.  ML != CL.  You cannot activate a wand of dispel magic even if you know dispel psionics.

Psionics Is Different doesn't allow any of that.  Dispel Psionics bounces off spells and vice versa.  SR != PR etc.  And Mind Blank does sweet fuck all to Mind Thrust.

The Magic Mantle of the Ardent, Mantled Psywar and Mantled Erudite, allows you, specifically you, to 'treat magic and psionics as identical'.

I really can't make this much plainer.  If you're too fucking lazy to go and open the XPH and look up the difference between Transparency and the word 'identical', then, I can't really do much for you.

So, y'know, cue the jokes about suicide and whatnot.

Powers count as SLAs under 'identical', actually, due to them being psilikes.  Which I do believe qualify for prestige classes under some FAQ or Sage ruling, fucked if I care enough to go look it up though.

Oh, and SorO?  I don't know if you're ESL or something, but if I say : - 'As the effect of this spell, you turn into a fish, gaining all the racial and Ex traits of being a fish.  You can use this to swim easily through a river or a small space.'

The spell does not only give you the ability to swim.  You also look like a fish, and can breathe water, and gain a swim speed, and the size modifiers.  You don't just get to 'swim easily' and 'through a small space'.  The first sentence specifically says what the spell gives you, and the second offers a suggestion about what the spell could be used for.  The second sentence does not overwrite the first because it does not say that it is overwriting what the first gives you.  If it said ''As the effect of this spell, you turn into a fish, gaining all the racial and Ex traits of being a fish.  Except you can only use this to swim easily through a river or a small space.', then THAT would be specifically taking away what the first sentence gave you.  It would also be incredibly clunky, confusing, and weird, and most english-speakers, not to mention designers, would avoid that kind of retarded double-exception language.

Azoriel

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2011, 06:10:44 AM »
Powers count as SLAs under 'identical', actually, due to them being psilikes.  Which I do believe qualify for prestige classes under some FAQ or Sage ruling, fucked if I care enough to go look it up though.

Last I checked, SLAs =/= ability to cast spells.  It was ruled before that the ability to use SLAs doesn't qualify you for any spellcasting PrCs.  (I'd spit out some quotation for you to back up this statement, but I'm rather short on time right now; I hope one of these other kind people might know what I'm talking about.)

Wings of Peace

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2011, 07:56:14 AM »
Are you assuming full transparency is forcing CL to be the same as ML?  If so why not just abuse Blood Magus for arbitrarily high CL/ML Blood Component hijinx and call it a day?  

Edit: Though messier at the start, Mind Mage from Dragon Magazine also offers a nice way to reduce metamagic/metapsionic costs through Compensation since hacking lots of power points has never been a problem.  Here's a link:
http://www.angelfire.com/pro/demon_1/prc_mind_mage.htm
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:01:19 AM by Wings of Peace »

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
Transparency lets psionics and magic affect each other.  Explicitly, SR = PR and vice versa, dispel magic = dispel psionics, and vice versa, something that stops magical [mind-affecting] stops psionic [mind-affecting] and vice versa.  Powers are not treated as spells.  ML != CL.  You cannot activate a wand of dispel magic even if you know dispel psionics.

Psionics Is Different doesn't allow any of that.  Dispel Psionics bounces off spells and vice versa.  SR != PR etc.  And Mind Blank does sweet fuck all to Mind Thrust.

The Magic Mantle of the Ardent, Mantled Psywar and Mantled Erudite, allows you, specifically you, to 'treat magic and psionics as identical'.

I really can't make this much plainer.  If you're too fucking lazy to go and open the XPH and look up the difference between Transparency and the word 'identical', then, I can't really do much for you.

So, y'know, cue the jokes about suicide and whatnot.

Oh, and SorO?  I don't know if you're ESL or something, but if I say : - 'As the effect of this spell, you turn into a fish, gaining all the racial and Ex traits of being a fish.  You can use this to swim easily through a river or a small space.'

The spell does not only give you the ability to swim.  You also look like a fish, and can breathe water, and gain a swim speed, and the size modifiers.  You don't just get to 'swim easily' and 'through a small space'.  The first sentence specifically says what the spell gives you, and the second offers a suggestion about what the spell could be used for.  The second sentence does not overwrite the first because it does not say that it is overwriting what the first gives you.  If it said ''As the effect of this spell, you turn into a fish, gaining all the racial and Ex traits of being a fish.  Except you can only use this to swim easily through a river or a small space.', then THAT would be specifically taking away what the first sentence gave you.  It would also be incredibly clunky, confusing, and weird, and most english-speakers, not to mention designers, would avoid that kind of retarded double-exception language.

Hi Welcome
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2011, 12:38:10 PM »
Hi Welcome

Sunic and Roy can get away with that because they're indefatiguable and usually right, despite their very hardcore personal playstyles.

Since I don't know you, and your posts have so far consisted of baww, you don't get away with it.

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2011, 12:45:16 PM »
Hi Welcome

Sunic and Roy can get away with that because they're indefatiguable and usually right, despite their very hardcore personal playstyles.

Since I don't know you, and your posts have so far consisted of baww, you don't get away with it.

Hi Welcome

Apparently you don't know who Sunic AND Roy are...so, if you want to ask "them" if I am right, go for it.

Quote from: Complete Arcane
Since spell-like abilities are not actually spells, a warlock
cannot benefi t from the Spell Focus feat. He can, however,
benefi t from the Ability Focus feat (see page 303 of the Monster
Manual), as well as from feats that emulate metamagic effects
for spell-like abilities, such as Quicken Spell-Like Ability
and Empower Spell-Like Ability (see pages 303 and 304 of
the Monster Manual).

Quote from: Complete Arcane
Characters or creatures that use spell-like abilities or
invocations never learn the arcane circumlocutions of logic
and mental training necessary for advanced spellcasting.

Care to continue your herp derp?

Since I don't know you, and so far your posts have consisted of blatant, pure, unadulterated idiocy...

Hi Welcome
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 12:47:04 PM by BeholderSlayer »
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2011, 01:07:01 PM »
Hi Welcome

BeholderSlayer is approximately as accurate as I am. He also plays, or played DDO on the same server, which is where Hi Welcome originally comes from. So yes, he can use that phrase just fine.

Hi Welcome
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2011, 01:27:24 PM »
Why is everyone on BG acting like a retard nowadays?

Seriously, 'Hi Welcome' is becoming more and more an indicator that the speaker is the one herping and derping.

You guys are screwing up my BG. Please stop.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2011, 01:41:05 PM »

Seriously, 'Hi Welcome' is becoming more and more an indicator that the speaker is the one herping and derping.

Hi Welcome

You're still wrong.

And don't forget:

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2011, 01:45:12 PM »

Hi Welcome

You're still wrong.
If you're saying that 'herping and derping' isn't making meaningless comments that don't contribute to the conversation, then please enlighten me as to what it DOES mean.

I would appreciate your insight into this matter, Sunic. I really would. Because I don't know what else it COULD mean.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2011, 01:50:08 PM »

Hi Welcome

You're still wrong.
If you're saying that 'herping and derping' isn't making meaningless comments that don't contribute to the conversation, then please enlighten me as to what it DOES mean.

I would appreciate your insight into this matter, Sunic. I really would. Because I don't know what else it COULD mean.
It means making up crap that is blatantly, objectively false, especially when attempting to legitimate an argument. In other words, being too dumb or lazy to do your homework before saying something stupid and claiming that it's objective truth.

Here's an example:
Person A: This proposed idea doesn't work because of X.
Person B: You are wrong because of [herp derp].
Person A: Hi Welcome (aka, that was too stupid to respond to)
Person B: ARRGHHHAAABLIZZERFLOP
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:52:48 PM by BeholderSlayer »
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2011, 01:53:54 PM »

Hi Welcome

You're still wrong.

It means making up crap that is blatantly, objectively false, especially when attempting to legitimate an argument. In other words, being too dumb or lazy to do your homework before saying something stupid and claiming that it's objective truth.

Here's an example:
You know what else does that?

Meh.

And it's still more insulting.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2011, 01:55:11 PM »

Hi Welcome

You're still wrong.

Here's an example:
You know what else does that?

Meh.

And it's still more insulting.
Meh.

:smirk
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2011, 02:02:50 PM »

Hi Welcome

You're still wrong.

Here's an example:
Then it just may be more constructive to teach people the error of their ways (such as it is) by instructing them in a reasonably intelligent manner and listening to (and taking into consideration) what they have to say. They may actually have a salient point or two.

To wit: I tend to disagree with a lot of what Sunic in particular says, but I believe that is because he's utterly dismissive of something and writes it off, whereas I look at it and see potential for how it COULD work, then think of ways to make it so.

Such as effective stealthing, IP Proofing on T-3 classes, or Dex-based builds. They take some thought and insight, but they work. And it's been proven that they do outside of houserules and Rule 0-ing.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2011, 02:40:14 PM »

Hi Welcome

You're still wrong.

Here's an example:

Plus Fucking Won. No, that's not a typo.

I only dismiss things that are completely worthless. Unfortunately, there are a lot of those.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2011, 02:42:16 PM »
Then it just may be more constructive to teach people the error of their ways (such as it is) by instructing them in a reasonably intelligent manner and listening to (and taking into consideration) what they have to say. They may actually have a salient point or two.

To wit: I tend to disagree with a lot of what Sunic in particular says, but I believe that is because he's utterly dismissive of something and writes it off, whereas I look at it and see potential for how it COULD work, then think of ways to make it so.

Such as effective stealthing, IP Proofing on T-3 classes, or Dex-based builds. They take some thought and insight, but they work. And it's been proven that they do outside of houserules and Rule 0-ing.
1. Most of the people are dead set on their idea and refuse to change it. Example, kobolds are true dragons.

2. And thats why we like you and have been considering replacing Sunic with a bot, or maybe a button for someone to press.

3. Yes I said "we", correct me and tell me how much you're not a part of "we". I've been getting that a lot in this thread.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2011, 02:51:30 PM »

1. Most of the people are dead set on their idea and refuse to change it. Example, kobolds are true dragons.

2. And thats why we like you and have been considering replacing Sunic with a bot, or maybe a button for someone to press.

3. Yes I said "we", correct me and tell me how much you're not a part of "we". I've been getting that a lot in this thread.

Hi Welcome

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2011, 02:55:46 PM »
Then provide the appropriate proof and let them make an ass of themselves if that's what they want. Making an ass of yourself (that is, 'generic yourself,' and not necessarily you in particular ;)) to deride them only makes you look like an ass.

I really don't think this is what anybody actually wants for themselves. I mean, I like ass as much as the next man, but not in this context.

2. And thats why we like you
It's a royal 'we,' I'm sure.

and have been considering replacing Sunic with a bot, or maybe a button for someone to press.
I could get on board with this. Though Sunic is quite useful at times.

Replacing his rants with a button that spams the PM-box with verbal fertilizer? Sounds good to me.

Hey, I agree. Self-love is still love.

Hi Welcome
Yes, thank you, Sunic. This was most helpful, I'm sure.

I can't see HOW, but  I'm sure someone found enlightenment there...

...somehow.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 03:18:14 PM by Lycanthromancer »

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]